ImageImage

Best Clutch Shooters With The Game On The Line

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Best Clutch Shooters With The Game On The Line 

Post#1 » by europa » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:17 pm

82games.com has again compiled a list of the best clutch shooters when it comes to game-winning or game-tying shots. The definition used is as follows - Game Winning Shot Opportunity = 24 seconds or less left in the game, team with the ball is either tied or down by 1 to 2 points.

Here are this season's current leaders:

Granger 5-7
Roy 4-7
R.Mason 3-3
Durant 3-8
Felton 3-8

Among Bucks' players, Redd is 9 of 30 since the 2003-04 season. His percentage (.300) is slightly higher than the league average (.298). He ranks tied for 14th overall in the league in the number of game-winning shots. He ranked seventh in the 2003-04 season, making 3 of 8 shots. That means he is 6 of 22 since that season (.273). Bogut is the only other Buck listed, having made 4 of 6 shots in his career.

With regard to league leaders, Kobe's rep as a clutch player isn't supported by these statistics as he's made 14 of 56 (.250). However, he is 4 of 8 in the playoffs. LeBron ranks as the leader in terms of shots made with 17. Carmelo Anthony's percentage (.481) is easily the highest among players who have attempted 25 shots or more.

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm
Nothing will not break me.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Re: Best Clutch Shooters With The Game On The Line 

Post#2 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:32 pm

Where is Mo Williams?
europa
RealGM

Post#3 » by europa » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:36 pm

I forgot about RJ. He is 6 for 19 (.316). And I guess Damon Jones is a Buck too. He's actually been quite good in these situations, having made 6 of 12 shots (.500).
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:38 pm

One that really jumps out is "Mr. Big Shot" - Chauncey Billups. He's only 6 for 37 (.162). That's pretty poor, especially given his rep as a clutch performer.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#5 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:48 pm

Redd 9-30

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Where is Mo Williams?

Games probably have to be close for game winners. There might be a better option too, not sure though :D
Go Bucks!
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#6 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:50 pm

MFScho wrote:Redd 9-30

Games probably have to be close for game winners. There might be a better option too, not sure though :D

Mo has at least two game winners with the Bucks (Washington and Indiana) and I know Ramon has one as well (I believe it was WAS as well)
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#7 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:54 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
MFScho wrote:Redd 9-30

Mo has at least two game winners with the Bucks (Washington and Indiana) and I know Ramon has one as well (I believe it was WAS as well)

Yeah I was referencing this season's stats with that comment.
Go Bucks!
europa
RealGM

Post#8 » by europa » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:55 pm

Based on the list, a player had to have made at least four such shots to qualify. Maybe Mo hasn't made that many which is why he's not on the list. Or maybe it's an oversight.
europa
RealGM

Post#9 » by europa » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:01 pm

Some other notes:

It's no surprise Redd's FT percentage in these situations is awful (57.1%). We've talked about that quite a bit the past couple of seasons. But LeBron suffers a major drop-off as well compared to his normal percentage. He shoots only 70% from the line in these situations. While Billups may frequently misfire, if you foul him, he's money (95%). Pierce's numbers certainly provide some foundation to his belief that he's the best player in the game today. He shoots a good percentage (.344), makes his FTs (88%) and nobody has more assists in these situations (9).
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#10 » by jeremyd236 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:06 pm

I could've told you Kobe's percentage is terrible. I don't know why people give this guy so much credit for being a clutch player. He misses so many more than he makes it's unreal. Of course, when you watch Sportscenter, you only see the ones he makes...so I guess I can see how everyone assumes he always makes it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#11 » by trwi7 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:42 pm

Huh, we were just talking about who you want to have the ball at the end of the game. LeBron or Kobe. The ones who thought Kobe was the best player in the NBA used Kobe being more clutch than LeBron as one of their reasons.

LeBron: 17-50 34%
Kobe: 14-56 25%

:D
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#12 » by emunney » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:54 pm

Bogut has one more game winning assist than Kobe.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#13 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:07 pm

trwi7 wrote:Huh, we were just talking about who you want to have the ball at the end of the game. LeBron or Kobe. The ones who thought Kobe was the best player in the NBA used Kobe being more clutch than LeBron as one of their reasons.

:x

Umm.
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#14 » by apdamico » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:08 pm

europa wrote:82games.com has again compiled a list of the best clutch shooters when it comes to game-winning or game-tying shots. The definition used is as follows - Game Winning Shot Opportunity = 24 seconds or less left in the game, team with the ball is either tied or down by 1 to 2 points.

Here are this season's current leaders:

Granger 5-7
Roy 4-7
R.Mason 3-3
Durant 3-8
Felton 3-8

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Oklahoma City Thunder announcers mentioned it last night; the best clutch-shooter in the NBA this season is surprisingly Travis Outlaw.

Don't know why Outlaw isn't on your list? The play-by-play announcer mentioned it over and over again that Outlaw is Mr. Clutch with the game on the line and is 6-7 in game-winning shots this season.

That stat really surprised me with so many other options on Portland. It surprised me even more now seeing Roy's name on your list because Portland obviously has had many close games this season that have gone down to the last shot.

If Roy is 4-7 and Outlaw is 6-7 that means Portland has had at the minimum 14-games that have gone down to the final shot this season. That certainly makes for exciting basketball, but as a fan, I would have ulcers by now watching that many last second games. At least they have won 11 of those 14 games this season.

As mentioned, my info is coming directly from last night’s Oklahoma City Thunder announcer’s comments. They stated at least 3 times that we don't want to let Portland get back in this game and if they do we better watch out for Outlaw who is 6-7 in game-winning shots this season.

Edited after viewing the link:

Looking at the link you provided, those Thunder announcers should have been stating that Travis Outlaw is 6-7 in his career in game winning shots. Obviously, according to your link, he is in fact 6-7, but he was 5-5 last season. Regardless, that's still clutch shooting from a guy on a team that has so many other options. We certainly could use that type of player! :wink:
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#15 » by emunney » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:19 pm

Not necessarily a minimum of 14 games, because if you're tied when you miss a potential GW, you go into OT and might get a 2nd potential GW in the same game.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#16 » by apdamico » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:24 pm

emunney wrote:Not necessarily a minimum of 14 games, because if you're tied when you miss a potential GW, you go into OT and might get a 2nd potential GW in the same game.

Plus, I edited my post because those announcers obviously were getting too worried when Portland started trimming the Thunder's 22-point lead and must have meant Outlaw was 6-7 in his career, not this year!

Obviously, your point also has to be taken into consideration too when discussing potential game-winning shots.

BTW, maybe we should e-mail this link to Skiles. How many times have we had the game on the line and both Lue and Jones sat on the bench while we had Bell, Alexander, LRMAM or whomever taking that all important last shot? I know we don't have Lue any longer, but both he and Jones have very nice percentages and they were never to be since on the court during those situations. :o
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#17 » by Ayt » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:03 pm

trwi7 wrote:Huh, we were just talking about who you want to have the ball at the end of the game. LeBron or Kobe. The ones who thought Kobe was the best player in the NBA used Kobe being more clutch than LeBron as one of their reasons.

It is very funny since we were just talking about this but it hadn't been updated in so long. Lebron's 6 assists also look nice compared Kobe's 1. Kobe has been pretty overrated in the last second shot department for awhile now, but I'm glad we have something to back it up.

Paul Pierce's line is very nice, IMO.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#18 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:20 pm

apdamico wrote:
To think we could have had the guy and LaFrentz's expiring contract for RJ and a filler - too bad!

What are you talking about 'could have had'?

I tried to tell you guys a couple times that Outlaw is too integral to their team. He was doing this last year as well, if you were paying attention.

Webster is the guy that would help us, that they might be willing to throw in. Maybe Frye or Randolph if we are desperate.

EDIT: Fixed the reference point for Twirl. :wordyo:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:24 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:What are you talking about 'could have had'?

He said we could use that type of player. Not that we can have him.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#20 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:26 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:What are you talking about 'could have had'?

He said we could use that type of player. Not that we can have him.

Is that what the last line says?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks