ImageImage

TI: RJ to the Spurs

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

TI: RJ to the Spurs 

Post#1 » by Nowak008 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:26 pm

This quote from Hollinger got me thinking.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: Look for a few veterans to take a month-long siesta from their teams in a trade-and-waive scenario, much like Brent Barry did a year ago with San Antonio. High on the list of likely vacationers is another veteran Spur, Bruce Bowen. His deal for next season is only partly guaranteed, so San Antonio could include him in a trade with a team looking to dump salary. Then his new club could buy him out, pocket the cap savings and allow him to rejoin the Spurs.

Also per wiretap

Looking to capitalize on the absence of Andrew Bynum in Los Angeles, the Spurs have inquired about New Jersey's Vince Carter.

However, any deal between the Spurs and Nets would be difficult to swing because New Jersey isn't interested many of San Antonio's players.

Only Roger Mason Jr. seems to intrigue the Nets.

Oberto, Bowen, and Mason for RJ. We buy out both Bowen and Oberto(next years contract also notgtd) and keep Mason. If they really make a fuss about keeping Mason, they could sign Horay to a deal and deal him to us.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: TI: RJ to the Spurs 

Post#2 » by aaprigs311 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 pm

I'll take a first rounder instead of Mason.
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#3 » by tyland » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Really like the thinking behind this, whether Mason is included or perhaps a first a few years down the track.

Is it possible to make them absorb Gadz as well, and get Finley in return. Could be a good marketing ploy at least?
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#4 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 am

Jefferson/Gadz for Bowen (buy out), Vaughn (buy out), Oberto (buy out), Thomas (buy out), Finley (buy out)

:)
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#5 » by apdamico » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:49 am

Spurs are looking for a floor-strecthing big man and that's CV, not RJ!

They also have sights set on Rasheed Wallace this summer, so taking a player like CV works for them because they could match any RFA offer if they like CV and/or weren't able to obtain Sheed.

CV and Gadzuric to the Spurs for Oberto, Thomas and Hill works and would give us a very workable group of players next season, not to mention insurance should we not be able to re-sign Sessions. Even with Sessions signed, I'd think either he or Hill would eventually become our PG of the future. If nothing else Hill be a great backup to Ramon for the next 3 seasons and it would give the team the ability to trade Ridnour over the summer or simply allow his contract to expire.
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#6 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50 am

apdamico wrote:Spurs are looking for a floor-strecthing big man and that's CV, not RJ!

Thats what Carter is right? :roll:
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by apdamico » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:21 am

RingtheBell wrote:
apdamico wrote:Spurs are looking for a floor-strecthing big man and that's CV, not RJ!

I just don't see Carter in their plans unless they have given up the idea of signing Rasheed during the off-season.
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#8 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:44 am

apdamico wrote:
RingtheBell wrote:

I just don't see Carter in their plans unless they have given up the idea of signing Rasheed during the off-season.

So they don't want a legit wing because they want a floor spreading big, then they don't want a floor spreading big because they get a legit wing? Make up your mind much?
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#9 » by Nowak008 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:24 am

There is no way any team in the league is taking on Gadz unless they are getting an insane deal. SA if they take on RJ would be near the luxury tax so they especially won't take him on.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#10 » by europa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:41 am

I'm not sure the Spurs will or should part with Mason. The guy has been a very nice addition this season and is a stone cold killer in crunch time.

I do think the Spurs could have an interest in RJ. They were reportedly interested in Redd and there have been reports they're interested in Carter. So they clearly are looking for another wing scorer. I'm just not sure they'd part with Mason to get him.
Nothing will not break me.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#11 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:40 am

Question for GAD or anyone else who might know, hoe much could Horry be signed too w/o being BYC?
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#12 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 am

RingtheBell wrote:Question for GAD or anyone else who might know, hoe much could Horry be signed too w/o being BYC?

viewtopic.php?p=18525197#p18525197
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks