ImageImage

What happened to Glenn Robinson?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: What happened to Glenn Robinson? 

Post#21 » by BDUB_30 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 pm

I met glenn at ohaire a day or so after being traded ...we walked thru ohaire and talked hoops and his time in milwaukee ..the funny part was i saw him from a good 50 feet away walking right towards me .. Im 6'8 so i stand out in the crowd , as he passed i wasnt gonna say anything . He actually approached me and said whats up ... I was like damn its glenn robinson let me talk to you for a minute man ...We walked thru ohaire talking hoops , i got to shake his hand and thank him for his time in milwaukee and got to watch one of my favorite players get on a plane and leave the city .

I think glenn is a perfect example of " ya dont know what ya got till its gone " . He recieved in aweful lot of critism while he was here , i think the negativity got to him . I think if he was embarced more he might of been a bit more commited .

As for his carrer , i have mixed feelings about it .It was alot of fun watching him play but i think he could of been better , alot better .. He had a nice little carrer , but imo he was an underachiever . This guy had the skills and tools to be one of the all time greats . He didnt transform his game . Despite popular opionon he did make some strides defensivly , but he never got that whole " dribbling the ball " thing down ... A glenn robinson with a handle , and some fluidity/flexability would of been a nightmere .. he was an exceptional athelte , very few people know how high dog could get up ..

Glenn Robinson going out and telling Kohl that he was going to average double digit rebounds for a month , and then going out and doing it , in a nutshell was exactally who glenn was as a player .. He really could do w/e he wanted out there but he did let the distractions get to him. w/e the destractions were , weather it was his teamates or even himself .. glenn put basketball in the backseat to often and for a guy of his talent ..it was rather disapointing . The closest thing to bird ive yet to see in terms of potential . Glenn Robinson had Bird like skills , just didnt have that same determination .
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#22 » by aboveAverage » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

I loved Big Dog almost as much as Ray Allen. But I was very young so I didn't appreciate him as much as I do now. We have never had a small forward that talented again. You talk about mid range games, Big Dog would make RJ feel ashamed of himself.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#23 » by Simulack » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Big Dog was one of my favorite players during his career as well although there is no doubt he was a disappointment as a pro. Not just in relation to being a #1 pick but because of the stats he put up in college. I'm sure nearly everyone knows but in case some of the younger posters don't, here are his stats his last season at Purdue:

30.3 ppg (48.3% fg, 38% 3pt), 10.1 rpg and 1.9 apg. Throw in a nearly a block and a steal and a half per game as well.

Granted things have changed since then (with most of the better players only playing a year of college ball and previously going straight from HS) but that has to go down as one of the better NCAA statistical seasons in the last two decades.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#24 » by Mags FTW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:49 pm

I miss him and the Big 3 so much. :(

I searched like crazy find that Onion article about him couldn't find it. For those who never saw it, it was from his playoff rental by the Spurs and was titled something like "Glenn Robinson has best seats to watch NBA Finals".
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#25 » by Badgerlander » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:58 pm

MouteKicksBoute wrote:Shawn Respert was the only one who replied, and not only sent me an autograph, but sent me his rookie card autographed.

Respert was a nice guy. I delivered a fridge to him back when I was in college, he had to leave to catch a flight but I talked to his dad for a while and he was telling me how much the other players hated coach Dunleavy, lol.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#26 » by Cold Crush 24 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I saw Anthony Mason at the airport in Miami. I didnt talk to him. Thats one scary lookin' dude.
Finals in 2017
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by MajorDad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:15 am

Big Dog went to purdue, and after leaving after his junior year, he made teh effort t o complete his degree obtaining a BA in Communications approximately within 10 years after he left school. it was said his interest in obtaining a communications degree was to some day work behind the screens as the guy who would technically produce a show. he wanted to be a behind the scenes guy. I' m not sure if he ever pursued that dream. but it was a worthwhile one.

I'm saddened that one this day Purdue lost to that cheating school named UCONN. this is not the first time UCONN cheated Purdue. Caron Butler signed a letter of commitment to attend Purdue. However, he wasn't academically ready for college, so Purdue arranged for Butler to attend a prep academy in Maine. Purdue made similar arangements for Brad Miller. however , while Caron was attending the prep school academy, Calhoun and his recruiters convinced Caron to attend UCONN instead.

I guess Purdue's woman will have to take up the challenge to put UCONN in their place.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#28 » by Badgerlander » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 pm

MajorDad wrote:Caron Butler signed a letter of commitment to attend Purdue. However, he wasn't academically ready for college, so Purdue arranged for Butler to attend a prep academy in Maine. Purdue made similar arangements for Brad Miller. however , while Caron was attending the prep school academy, Calhoun and his recruiters convinced Caron to attend UCONN instead.

Can you really blame him, I mean they sent the kid to Maine. Might as well have sent him to Siberia. :lol:
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#29 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 pm

MouteKicksBoute wrote:Plus with the loss of Big Dog, we also lost the infamous "Bark-O-Meter". I remember pre 2000, we couldn't get that thing halfway past the meter, but in our ECF year, we had it at the max every single night. Those were the days.

Took the words out of my mouth. Its been downhill since the 'Bark-O-Meter' left our lives.

I have no Big Dog stories, but he was always my favorite Buck. He was definitely a love him or hate him player in Milwaukee, but the guy could fill it up. If he would've gotten that jumper in Game 5 against Philly in 2001 to go. He'd be a Buck legend for sure. He is anyway, but a questionable one at best.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks