ImageImage

Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,027

Re: Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2) 

Post#21 » by midranger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:59 pm

cam2win wrote:Hmm interesting, definitely a guy with some talent. I agree it seems odd and random that he's coming here with no mention of other interest. Given he has 2 years left in Europe you have to think there is something to this. Curious to see who is moved to make room for him.

Sessions is the obvious answer.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#22 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:00 am

Childress' contact in Greece has an opt out clause for the NBA. I never believed he would spend more than one year over there.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,481

Post#23 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:01 am

Joana wrote:Childress is overrated. His biggest strength is that he knows his limitations - and that's a frequently underappreciated skill and one I generally like a lot. But he doesn't have the quality to be a starter in a good team. And he can't shoot; if the Bucks were to add another perimeter player, it should be a better shooter than Childress.

I don't know if he's overrated. Is he even rated?

The shots he does take tend to go in more often than not. At least in the NBA.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#24 » by Newz » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:03 am

If we use the MLE on Childress, will there even be enough money left over to retain Sessions? Unless the market for him is just really that small and he only gets like a 3 million dollar offer.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Joana » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:04 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
Joana wrote:Childress is overrated. His biggest strength is that he knows his limitations - and that's a frequently underappreciated skill and one I generally like a lot. But he doesn't have the quality to be a starter in a good team. And he can't shoot; if the Bucks were to add another perimeter player, it should be a better shooter than Childress.

Yep. Rating Childress' defence as good is definitely overrating, for example.

I've already addressed the "he's a solid perimeter threat, career 36% shooter from the 3pt line" theory.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#26 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:06 am

Well this answers my question from another thread. I was wondering where this Childress talk was coming from - I'm guessing europa had heard something.

This would be a solid acquisition.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#27 » by pilprin » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:08 am

Could Ridnaur be the S&T person or an expiring?
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#28 » by bigkurty » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:09 am

Would they have interest in Ridnour in a S&T? He could be a one year stop gap at pg for them?
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#29 » by bigkurty » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:09 am

pilprin wrote:Could Ridnaur be the S&T person or an expiring?

Haha Good idea
buckaroo
Senior
And1: 0

Post#30 » by buckaroo » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:10 am

midranger wrote:
cam2win wrote:Hmm interesting, definitely a guy with some talent. I agree it seems odd and random that he's coming here with no mention of other interest. Given he has 2 years left in Europe you have to think there is something to this. Curious to see who is moved to make room for him.

Could be a S&T with ATL for Ridnour too.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#31 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:12 am

I agree with Joana. This isn't a guy who will suddenly bust out and be an 18-20ppg player.

He's just a smart player who knows his limitations and probably is a great 7th man type guy. The fact is Atlanta improved last year without him. Some pundits thought the Hawks would take a step back without Childress and they did not.

That said, I'll be happy or sad about this depending on what he would sign for and what we might or might not need to give up to the Hawks in a S&T.

I think 5/$35 would be overpaying for this guy. From our past lessons on this board with free agency, you don't pay a guy $5mm+ a year unless you are confident he can be a quality starter for you.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by Fight the Tank » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:13 am

The shots he does take tend to go in more often than not. At least in the NBA.[/quote]

I've already addressed the "he's a solid perimeter threat, career 36% shooter from the 3pt line" theory.[/quote]

I have not seen much of Childress but where are you getting the overrated defense from.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Post#33 » by Debit One » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:13 am

midranger wrote:

Nope.

R _ _ N _ U _
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#34 » by raferfenix » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:13 am

I could definitely see them being interested in Ridnour and maybe even in players like Elson/Thomas/Bowen. However, why do we need to give them anything if we don't want to? Hawks aren't going to match, not after they picked up Crawford and wiht Childress openly saying he doesn't want to play there.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,481

Post#35 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:15 am

Joana wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

I've already addressed the "he's a solid perimeter threat, career 36% shooter from the 3pt line" theory.

The sad fact is Childress seems to be the highest level of free agent that the Bucks can pull. The trick is to not overpay guys like that and pray that a superstar is acquired via the draft.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
itstheiryear
Sophomore

Post#36 » by itstheiryear » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:16 am

has anyone mentioned ridnour as a possible sign and trade option? oh...

definitely would approve of that though
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#37 » by Joana » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:18 am

Bogutneedsball wrote:I don't know if he's overrated. Is he even rated?

I've already addressed the "he's a solid perimeter threat, career 36% shooter from the 3pt line" theory.[/quote]

I have not seen much of Childress but where are you getting the overrated defense from.[/quote]

From people rating his defence as good, as I said.

Childress' defence is solid if he's matched up with tweeners, bellow par versus wing players (his length, wingspan and effort make up a bit for his lack of lateral quickness) and atrocious defending inside.

Yes, I believe Childress is generally overrated because not many people were watching the Hawks in the last few years till last season when they had that playoff series versus the Celtics, where Childress played the best basketball of his life.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:18 am

LukePliska wrote:I think we might see a Sessions for Childress sign and trade, if this is true.

I'd love to see that happen for Atlanta.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#39 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:20 am

If Sessions is S&T'd for Childress or Childress is signed in favor of Sessions, I'm done.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#40 » by El Duderino » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:20 am

I agree with Mid. If we sign Childress, i think that likely means say goodbye to Sessions. I'd rather have Ramon, but u just don't think Hammond values the kid like many on this board does.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks