ImageImage

Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2) 

Post#41 » by Joana » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:22 am

SupremeHustle wrote:The sad fact is Childress seems to be the highest level of free agent that the Bucks can pull. The trick is to not overpay guys like that and pray that a superstar is acquired via the draft.

Sure, if he doesn't get paid more than a 7th man type of salary, it's a good signing.

If that was the trick, owners would hire priests, not GMs.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#42 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:27 am

I think Josh Childress is generally a solid but unspectacular player.. I don't think he will hurt you on either side of the court, but no it's not like we are trying to sign a star in the making. A guy who knows how to play to this strengths on both sides of the floor is a valuable player.

And no, I don't believe the bucks are going to let Sessions walk in favor of signing Childress.. I am guessing they will pull the trigger on a S & T where the Hawks get Luke Ridnour, or move bodies like (Thomas, Ridnour, Bowen, Elson, etc.) to make sure we don't hurt ourselves too much with this signing (if he decides to sign that is).

My guess would be the roster would be something like:

Sessions / Jennings / Stoudamire
Redd / Bell / Meeks
Childress / M & M / Alexander
Johnson / Ilyasova / Allen
Bogut / Gadzuric / another player (either here or at teh PF position)
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#43 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:29 am

Joana wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:The sad fact is Childress seems to be the highest level of free agent that the Bucks can pull. The trick is to not overpay guys like that and pray that a superstar is acquired via the draft.

Sure, if he doesn't get paid more than a 7th man type of salary, it's a good signing.

If that was the trick, owners would hire priests, not GMs.

I didn't know Priests answered prayers.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#44 » by skones » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:30 am

No way I give him 5 years 35 as mentioned in this thread. I like Childress as a stop gap starter and an energy player off the bench, but no more than that. I think anything over 3 years at 3 or 4 million is far too much.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#45 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:36 am

Childress won't be signed for less than the MLE.. 3-4 million won't happen.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#46 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:37 am

skones wrote:No way I give him 5 years 35 as mentioned in this thread. I like Childress as a stop gap starter and an energy player off the bench, but no more than that. I think anything over 3 years at 3 or 4 million is far too much.

Taking a pay cut to play in Milwaukee would make me question the dude's acuity.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#47 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:38 am

Childress...Meh. No way would we sign and trade Sessions for him. He's solid, just really nothing more. Sessions had a better season last year than Childress has had in his four years in the NBA. I'd rather stay pat than sink starter money into back up production.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#48 » by raferfenix » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:40 am

5 years is an awfully long time even if we do think he can be a starter here.

Frankly, I'd be really worried about giving him that many years unless it's preceding a Redd trade. I don't like Mbah a Moute long term at PF and don't like giving a bench player nearly that many years.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#49 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:41 am

I like Childress, but not at the expense of Sessions, that wouldn't make us any better. Get Childress and Sessions signed, clear some other salary via KT/Bowen/Ridnour.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#50 » by Newz » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:42 am

If we can get Childress and keep Sessions, I am a big fan of the direction this team is moving in.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#51 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:43 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
skones wrote:No way I give him 5 years 35 as mentioned in this thread. I like Childress as a stop gap starter and an energy player off the bench, but no more than that. I think anything over 3 years at 3 or 4 million is far too much.

You've obviously never seen our river and lake then.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#52 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:43 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:My guess would be the roster would be something like:

Sessions / Jennings / Stoudamire
Redd / Bell / Meeks
Childress / M & M / Alexander
Johnson / Ilyasova / Allen
Bogut / Gadzuric / another player (either here or at teh PF position)

Hammond errr Europa REALLY likes Carl Landry to the point he's willing to get lowballed to acquire him. He told me last night.

Sessions/Jennings/Stoudamire
Redd/CB42/Meeks
Childress/M&M
Landry/Ilyasova
Bogut/Amir/Gadz

Hammond errr Europa and I have differing philosophies when it comes to team building. His should accomplish his goal of winning 40-45 games though.

His insider contact is good....no wonder europa goes to such great lengths to protect him.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#53 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:44 am

LukePliska wrote:If we can get Childress and keep Sessions, I am a big fan of the direction this team is moving in.

Assuming Childress' money is reasonable, I agree.

Sessions
Redd
Childress
LRMAM/Ilyasova/Johnson
Bogut

Is a nice team if it can stay healthy IMO.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#54 » by Newz » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:44 am

trwi7 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

You've obviously never seen our river and lake then.

BOATS!!!!!!!!!!
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#55 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:46 am

Its important to protect your insider or you won't get information anymore.

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#56 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:48 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Ha ha. Europa has a great source.......

This is pretty cool.

Or Hammond is trying to make sure he keeps his biggest supporter happy by pursuing all of his ideas ;)

But yeah, I'm actually not clear which one this is. I do know that europa has good sources, so that could be why he was touting Childress. Or it could really just be that he determined that Childress would be a good target for us, so he has been pushing that in hopes the Bucks would go that route.

There are a number of things europa suggests the Bucks do that they end up doing. Even the Hammond hire itself was a europa suggestion (subsequently heavily supported by a large number of us, including myself) if we were unable to get Donnie Walsh.

LukePliska wrote:I think we might see a Sessions for Childress sign and trade, if this is true.

That had crossed my mind too.
Frankly, I think that would be foolish on our part.
We should just sign Sessions for ourselves and attempt to add Childress as well, even if the Hawks end up matching our offer sheet. If they do, pursue a different FA instead, or explore other trade possibilities.

MickeyDavis wrote:I'd love to have him. Not sure why he'd pick Mil over other teams that could offer him the same cash.

Perhaps other teams aren't interested in offerring him as large and/or lengthy contract that we are, and/or don't have the same opportunity at SF/SG for him that we do.

There are a number of teams that would be interested in him I'm sure where he either definitely wouldn't start, likely wouldn't star, etc.

As much as I like Mbah A Moute, I'd say that Childress would rightfully expect to start here. He'd have to hold off Mbah A Moute, Alexander, etc., for the job, but I would assume Childress would win that starting job.

I will not give Hammond credit for bringing in Childress INSTEAD of Sessions, but if this is in addition to Sessions (and Ersan too, preferably) that's a HUGE step by Hammond to winning me back, assuming the Childress contract is reasonable :)
All he would need to do to seal the deal would be to trade Redd yet this offseason ;)

midranger wrote:I've been saying that we'll use the MLE money that we cleared under the tax on someone rather than Sessions or CV for months. Childress and Bass were my two biggest targets, so I'm happy with this. Bye, bye Ramon.

You would be happy with Childress over Sessions?

Or are you saying that if we're going to use our MLE and not bring back Sessions anyway, you'd at least be happy that we'd be using it on Childress or Bass, as opposed to someone else?

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Childress' contact in Greece has an opt out clause for the NBA. I never believed he would spend more than one year over there.

Yep. I said so at the time he signed that. I think the only thing that didn't/doesn't make it an absolute lock that he'll be back in the NBA already is the current economic circumstances in the NBA which could make it more difficult for Childress to get the kind of offer that would make him comfortable opting out of his Greek contract.

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Childress won't be signed for less than the MLE.. 3-4 million won't happen.

If that is the case, I would have rather just spent that money on Villanueva, honestly.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#57 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:48 am

LUKE23 wrote:
LukePliska wrote:If we can get Childress and keep Sessions, I am a big fan of the direction this team is moving in.

Assuming Childress' money is reasonable, I agree.

Sessions
Redd
Childress
LRMAM/Ilyasova/Johnson
Bogut

Is a nice team if it can stay healthy IMO.

When asked about a possible starter at the PF position (based on the players he has currently), Hammond put Johnson as the starter.

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#58 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:48 am

LukePliska wrote:BOATS!!!!!!!!!!

Fishing, yo. Catch those salmon.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#59 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:49 am

His insider contact is good....no wonder europa goes to such great lengths to protect him.
We've seen similar behavior here once before.

But definitely some credit due to europa for sharing this move with us a few days ago. He obviously knew something real that is now confirmed by a national source, and he could have kept it to himself, but chose to share it with all of us. Also, seems europa must have known about the Spurs trade way back when. He "suggested" the Jefferson salary dump trade to the Spurs even though it contradicts everything else he's ever said about how he wants the team built.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#60 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:50 am

When asked about a possible starter at the PF position (based on the players he has currently), Hammond put Johnson as the starter.

If we signed Childress and signed Ersan, personally I'd probably start LRMAM of LRMAM/Johnson/Ilyasova, but that's just me.

If we do sign Childress, I think it will be tough for all five of Childress/LRMAM/Alexander/Johnson/Ilyasova to get minutes, so maybe Ersan would have to wait another year.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks