ImageImage

Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Childress to visit Bucks tomorrow (7/2) 

Post#81 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:20 am

Bernman wrote:I haven't done the math yet, but I don't know how we won't be up against the luxury tax again next offseason if we're trading all the expirings and partially ng'ed contracts for multi-year deals.

We're at $47M committed for 2010-11 (that includes Jennings/Redd/Bell/Meeks/LRMAM/Alexander/Bogut/Gadzuric). So with Sessions/Childress/Ersan/next years first added, that would probably put us I'd say around $65M, with 12 guys signed. So we could make it work, but it would be tight.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#82 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:26 am

pasting_monkeys wrote:Get it done Hammond!

I've wanted Childress here for years. He is in the Battier mold of role player, this guy will win us games.

This is clearly proven by the 106-222 record the Hawks put up with Childress on the team. I don;t dislike him, but some people on here have an odd man crush on him.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#83 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:26 am

mcfromage wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:does anyone know what Josh is getting paid over seas?

20 million over 3 years.

If we could pull off Elson/Bowen or Ridnour/Bowen for Childress I'd be thrilled because as Europa writes, he's the kind of guy you want on a winning squad. But to be honest a part of me would be disappointed that JA would probably be seeing a lot fewer minutes.

Also, what's up with the Bucks apparent love of American players that have bucked trends to play in Europe?

why would they do that deal? They would be much better off just not matching

If they match wouldn't you have to assume that sessions would have to be in the deal.

Maybe we could pawn off contracts like bell or Gadz(cross your fingers) with sessions in that deal
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#84 » by Joana » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:27 am

europa wrote::D

Just to be clear, I've been touting Childress before Hammond took the job. This is a guy I've wanted the Bucks to pursue for the past few years. I like him. He's not a superstar. He's just a guy who helps you win because he does so many of the right things. I like him for many of the same reasons I like Battier. He's a terrific glue guy. He shoots well, plays smart and will defend.

Who's the Childress you're talking about?

It's amazing how popular is the myth that Childress is a good shooter.

He isn't. Teams used to double off of him when he was in Atlanta (and they let him shoot at will in Europe).
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#85 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:28 am

LUKE23 wrote:
Bernman wrote:I haven't done the math yet, but I don't know how we won't be up against the luxury tax again next offseason if we're trading all the expirings and partially ng'ed contracts for multi-year deals.

We're at $47M committed for 2010-11 (that includes Jennings/Redd/Bell/Meeks/LRMAM/Alexander/Bogut/Gadzuric). So with Sessions/Childress/Ersan/next years first added, that would probably put us I'd say around $65M, with 12 guys signed. So we could make it work, but it would be tight.

You didn't count the Landry deal into that calculation though. Which is speculative, but consider what europa said and the fact that Hammond proposed a trade for him last season. It'd be about 68.5 million w/ Landry and the 2nd round pick. So IF we do something like the Landry deal, our roster better be set before the 2010 draft, otherwise need is driving who we pick again. And then we'll have almost no flexibility in free agency.

I'm guessing Hammond is making some presumptions about Redd's health and in turn increased trade value to the point he could at least get an expiring for him. But that plan would change if we're vying for the playoffs pre trade deadline, and then it might be the RJ situation again, trading him after the season for partial ng'ed deals to create luxury tax relief.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#86 » by europa » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:31 am

Joana wrote:

The guy I watched with the Hawks and have wanted on the Bucks for the past three years. Maybe he's not a good "shooter," but he's a career 52% FG shooter who also makes nearly 80% of his FTs. Not to mention he's a guy who will get 5-6 rebounds and 2 assists per game. I'll take that at the SF position.
Nothing will not break me.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 505

Post#87 » by raleigh » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:40 am

Guys, thought I'd mention a couple of things for you:

1. The Hawks' beat writer, Sekou Smith, claims the Hawks' told Childress' agent that the Hawks would match any reasonable offer, which they described as MLE or less. That's basically what they already committed to offering him last year.

2. There are a number of teams interested. Sekou mentions LAC, LAL, and CLE.

3. Since it will take more than the MLE to pry him lose, Childress will be BYC. Unfortunately, the Hawks do not have that many spare parts to add into the trade to get around the BYC issues. There's Randolph Morris, but his salary is miniscule. There's Mo Evans, but he's not someone the Hawks would part with easily. IOW, the S&T trade package would need to be a good one.

Personally, I expect Childress to return to Europe and try again next year, unless he thinks the Hawks are bluffing.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#88 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:41 am

Bernman wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:Its important to protect your insider or you won't get information anymore.

So take your own advice and be nice to bro, sis. No hogging the bathroom for inordinate amounts of time.
I'll try but I love taking long showers (even in this economy).
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#89 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:41 am

I read thru this thread, but I missed two things. Could someone please explain

1) The rumor as to how we would aquire Landry (what do we give up)

2) Is Childress opting out of his Euro contract? Once he does, is he just a regular RFA?
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:42 am

To me this sees like a pre arranged deal... where Hammond already has something on the table that Atlanta has agreed to. I hope it is Ridnour or one of the creaky Spur forwards, not Ramon.
europa
RealGM

Post#91 » by europa » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:43 am

There's no rumor about Landry, Will. Bern proposed a Landry trade last night and because I agreed to it he thinks Hammond must want to do it too. :)

Honestly, I don't think the Bucks acquire Landry. I think they roll with Johnson/Ilyasova and M&M at PF next season. Alexander too if he's still on the team.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#92 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:45 am

So you think we sign Childress europa?
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#93 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:45 am

redd will either be traded, or will opt out, or will be renegotiated. im not worried about michael redd hindering our situation next year, after all its commonly known he once bought a church. hes a real good guy.
europa
RealGM

Post#94 » by europa » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:47 am

LUKE23 wrote:So you think we sign Childress europa?

Don't know. It's all going to depend on if he wants to play for the Bucks. If he does, I think the Bucks and Hawks can work out a S&T. But the ball's in Childress' court. He probably knows he has no future in Atlanta. What has to be determined is if he wants a future of any kind with the Bucks.
bentley
Sophomore

Post#95 » by bentley » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:49 am

Chance of Sessions for Childress S&T= Z E R O make that much less than ZERO
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#96 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:49 am

What is worth them doing a S/T and adding salary over letting Childress walk that we would part with though? I don't think Ridnour is enough. I obviously wouldn't do Sessions.
Joana
Banned User

Post#97 » by Joana » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:50 am

europa wrote:
Joana wrote:

The guy I watched with the Hawks and have wanted on the Bucks for the past three years. Maybe he's not a good "shooter,"

"Maybe"? He makes a triple every 3 games or so, teams don't even bother to close out on him.

If you think he is or may be a good shooter, you should have watched more of him.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:51 am

I think the Bucks have a couple things going for them, and have a decent shot to land Childress. The biggest thing they have, if they sell him on the situation, is that Childress has some leverage with the Hawks that he could just threaten to go back to Europe. I think. Does anyone know if him signing with an NBA team would nullify his Euro contract?

If he is back here and wining and dining with the Bucks, he obviously wants to be back in the NBA. And he clearly is not in the Hawks plans for anything around or above the MLE.

The only problem, is that I don't want anything to do with him for around or above the MLE. Decent player, but nothing worth that chunk of change.
europa
RealGM

Post#99 » by europa » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:52 am

LUKE23 wrote:What is worth them doing a S/T and adding salary over letting Childress walk that we would part with though? I don't think Ridnour is enough. I obviously wouldn't do Sessions.

I wouldn't do it for Sessions either and I don't see that being an option. I think a deal of Bowen/Ridnour or Bowen/Thomas or maybe even Bowen/Elson for Childress gets it done. I've said for months now that I think the Hawks would be a team interested in Ridnour.
europa
RealGM

Post#100 » by europa » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:53 am

Joana wrote:If you think he is or may be a good shooter, you should have watched more of him.

I've watched him a lot. I've seen him convert more than 50% of the FGs he takes and make nearly 80% of his FTs. I'll take that from a SF.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks