Image Image Image Image

Blackhawks Trade/FA/Draft Ideas and Rumors

Moderator: TNBT

Drake_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Blackhawks Trade/FA/Draft Ideas and Rumors 

Post#1 » by Drake_02 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:52 am

What should they do? They need a number 1 goalie.

Your thoughts??

I've changed the title of the thread so that any ideas, speculation or rumors that you may have regarding the Blackhawks offseason can be posted here.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Re: Blackhawks offseason discussion 

Post#2 » by TNBT » Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 am

I think the biggest thing for next season is overall team health. If we can keep the whole team on the ice, or at least the main core, then I think we will be a markedly better team. Also, if Frolik (or whoever we get if we trade him) can produce like we know that Frolik is capable of, and if Bickell plays hard all year, that will have a big impact on how far we are capable of going.

In goal, I really don't know what to suggest. I honestly feel that Crawford has the ability to be a good #1 goalie, but at this point I couldn't blame anyone for not being sold on him. He really needs to prove himself to everyone if he wants us to have faith in him again. If we are to replace him though, I'm not sure who tops the list of available trade/sign options. Does anyone who has a better idea of who is available want to put a bit of a list together?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Blackhawks Trade/FA/Draft Ideas and Rumors 

Post#3 » by TNBT » Thu Jun 7, 2012 5:51 pm

An article on Bleacher Report suggests that a goalie and defensive help are our main needs and will be our targets for the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1194 ... redictions

Draft Analysis

Malcolm Subban of the Belleville Bulls in the OHL would be a fantastic first round pick for the Blackhawks. If they don't take him with their selection, expect teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Philadelphia Flyers to think about taking him.

In 39 games for the Bulls this season, Subban was 25-14 with a 2.50 GAA and a .923 save percentage. He will be NHL-ready very soon which is good for the Blackhawks, and is part of the talented Subban family which includes Malcolm's brother P.K. who plays defense for the Montreal Canadiens.

Derrick Pouliot of the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL would be a good pick for the Blackhawks because of his offensive abilities.

Pouliot scored 11 goals and dished out 48 assists for 59 points this year, and projects to be a solid NHL blueliner for many years.

Assuming that we go with a goalie or defenseman early in the draft, what do you think of the players the article recommends? What other prospects at those positions would you be interested in?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by TNBT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 pm

The Blackhawks have just signed forwards Ben Smith and Brandon Bollig to two-year deals, and goalie Carter Hutton to a one-year deal.

I don't know much about Hutton, but hanging onto Smith and Bollig was a good move in my opinion. Smith is a good two-way prospect and I think that had he been healthy all year, he would have spent a lot more time with the NHL club. As for Bollig, I am glad we are hanging on to an enforcer. This team has been too soft these last few years. Adding Mayers and more importantly Carcillo were great starts, but Bollig comes across as an enforcer who can actually play hockey well enough to not be a liability on the ice on the fourth line. Adding young Hayes to the lineup also gives us more size and toughness.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by TNBT » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:45 am

2012 NHL Draft - 1st Round

The Blackhawks picked 17 year-old Finnish forward Teuvo Teravainen in the first round (18th overall) of the NHL Draft. It's a surprising move for me, given that everyone has been expecting a goalie of defenseman in the 1st round, considering that we look wearker there than at forward. However, Teravainen was ranked as the #2 skater from Europe and has been compared to Patrick Kane and Pavel Datsyuk, which certainly is some pretty nice company to be in.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635678

The article mentions these points:

- He's not overly physical but isn't intimidated by physical play.
- Is very elusive and can play wing or center.
- Is a deadly one-on-one player.
- Has great puck skills, and can pass with forehand or backhand very well.
- Skill level with the puck is beyond most players.
- He's tiny (5'11" and 165lbs) but has risen up the charts this year and shown that he can compete against bigger players.
- Understands the game well and is very dedicated.
- Defensive game needs work.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#6 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jul 2, 2012 4:13 am

Nothing tells the fans to get excited for the season like Sheldon Brookbank.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by TNBT » Mon Jul 2, 2012 3:55 pm

Brookbank isn't the most exciting guy we could have signed, but I don't mind this as a depth signing. Assuming that Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Montador and Oduya are locked in, this gives us a solid guy to support the top 6 without us having to rely on kids like Olsen and fossils like O'Donell.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by TNBT » Tue Apr 2, 2013 7:33 am

Announced today that the Blackhawks have acquired Sharks C/W Michal Handzus in exchange for a 4th round pick.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm ... L|CHI|home

Not too sure what to think of this trade. On one hand, the guy is great in the face-off circle, and he's an experienced veteran. However, he only has 2 points so far this year, which makes me wonder if he's going to be up to filling the second line center role that we need to fill, or if he will be a lower-line addition and we use Shaw, Bolland or Kruger on the second line. He's also 36, so while he brings plenty of experience, he's not exactly looking like being a long-term addition.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to seeing what else (if anything) we do before the deadline. I'm a big fan of Pirri and I'd love to see him get an extended trial as the second line center, but if there is someone else out there who can fill that need and can (hopefully) be around for a while, then I'm looking forward to finding out. What do you guys think of this trade?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#9 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

The draft us this Friday. Hawks have the #30 pick.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#10 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Hawks have the 30th picks in rounds 1, 4,5,6,7.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:18 am

So what did everyone think of our draft? I didn't follow the prospect pool much this year, so I don't really know much about the guys we picked. Hartman sounds like a really highly skilled guy who plays hard and both ends. Dahlstrom has size and is said to play a simple yet effective game. Hayden doesn't sound like a great skater, but he's a big boy and we could use a little more size on this squad. Norell is a hard worker, Motte sounds like another low line player who will work his ass off, I don't know much about Johnson, Louis is a little guy with great skill level, and Press sounds like a real project who may pan out or may be nothing.

What did you guys think of our picks?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by TNBT » Sat Jul 6, 2013 1:14 pm

FA UPDATE: Stalberg is gone. He signed for $12 million over 4 years with Nashville. I can't think of many players who seem to have divided Blackhawks fans lately more than Stalberg. Some will be upset about losing someone with his speed and potential, while others will be glad to see him go and hope to sign someone with a bit more substance rather than potential.

Personally, I liked what Stalberg gave this team. I don't know quite where his best position was though. He had that amazing size and speed combo that could have made him a dangerous scoring line winger, but he had his problems with putting the puck in the net, with many feeling that he just didn't have the hands to be a scorer. I guess the cub shared the latter views, as we played him mainly on the 3rd line last season. He's one of those guys that for me, I would like to keep him around, but I'm not going to cry myself to sleep if he leaves. At an average of $3 million per year, lets hope we can find someone who can match Stalberg's contribution without costing more. What do you guys think of this move?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by TNBT » Sat Jul 6, 2013 1:51 pm

Also, it has been announced that we have re-signed Rozsival for 2 years and Handzus for 1 year. I don't mind either of these signings as they are clearly depth moves and we're not spending big money on either of them. The financial terms of the deals has not been released, but I have heard reports that Handzus has signed for $1 million. I personally like these signings. With Bolland, Frolik and Stalberg gone (and maybe Mayers if he retires), that frees up plenty of spots for the kids. Keeping a couple of experienced vets like Handzus and Rozsival means that we not only have great depth, but it means that the 2 or 3 kids we will likely play after those other losses doesn't become 4 or 5 kids. Now eventually you want the kids to come through and make a spot their own, but when you're the defending Cup champions and you're bringing back the core of that team for another run next season, you can't really afford to play too many kids at once.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,122

Post#14 » by molepharmer » Sun Jul 7, 2013 3:10 pm

TNBT wrote:Also, it has been announced that we have re-signed Rozsival for 2 years and Handzus for 1 year. I don't mind either of these signings as they are clearly depth moves and we're not spending big money on either of them. The financial terms of the deals has not been released, but I have heard reports that Handzus has signed for $1 million. I personally like these signings. With Bolland, Frolik and Stalberg gone (and maybe Mayers if he retires), that frees up plenty of spots for the kids. Keeping a couple of experienced vets like Handzus and Rozsival means that we not only have great depth, but it means that the 2 or 3 kids we will likely play after those other losses doesn't become 4 or 5 kids. Now eventually you want the kids to come through and make a spot their own, but when you're the defending Cup champions and you're bringing back the core of that team for another run next season, you can't really afford to play too many kids at once.

Assuming next year they play like they did this past year, I'm glad to see they brought back Rozsival and Handzus.

Hawks have all 6 defensemen back from those dressed against Boston (+ Brookbank). The goaly spot is taken care of with signing Nikolai. Minus Bolland, Stalberg and Frolic and assuming they re-sign Kruger, the rest of the forwards are back from those against Boston (+ Carcillo & Bollig). While Mayers was a great lockerroom presence and had his moments on the ice, his best hockey is a distant memory.

So there's basically only three forwards spots up for the active 20-man game day competition. Any kids who want to see significant playing time need to beat out Carcillo and Bollig. Should be interesting seeing which of the youth make up the 23-man active list. Smith, Hayes, Morin & Pirri have all seen NHL time. I don't know how well prepared any of the other youngsters are for the NHL.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by TNBT » Tue Jul 9, 2013 12:23 pm

I think we see lines something like this:

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - ? - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - ?
Carcillo - Kruger - ?

The question marks are the unknowns. I think the 2C spot will go to either Pirri or :LeBlanc, and the RW spots on lines 3 and 4 will be split between some combination of Morin, Hayes and Smith. I would also expect that Handzus will be used in a variety of roles, spending time at 2C if Pirri or LeBlanc need help, and filling in on the 3rd and 4th lines, either on the wing or at center, with Shaw or Kruger then shifting to the wing.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Carcillo traded to LA for a draft pick.

Not sure what to make of this deal. He wasn't really living up to his salary, he was injured a lot and takes some dumbass penalties, but I always liked Carcillo as a player. He was tough, would drop the gloves, hit hard, and had a decent skill level for a grinder. We've also re-signed Beach to a one-year deal as well, and I have seen his name mentioned as a potential replacement for Carcillo on the 4th line. I'm not sure if I'd rather see him or Bollig there. Bollig is a really nice enforcer and Beach is an unknown quantity, but on the other hand, Beach has a lot more natural talent than Bollig and could provide a bit of a scoring touch on the 4th line to go along with the fighting/tough guy gig.
Badbeats
Rookie
And1: 394

Post#17 » by Badbeats » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I feel the same way. I liked carcillo but he was injured a lot and would make some dumb plays. Hate to lose him, but to save some decent cap space it was probably for the best.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#18 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Sep 3, 2013 8:58 am

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by TNBT » Thu Sep 5, 2013 1:25 pm

Also Hjalmarsson got an extension... I think it was 5 more years.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#20 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Sep 5, 2013 8:45 pm

TNBT wrote:Also Hjalmarsson got an extension... I think it was 5 more years.

Yes it was for about 4 mil annually. http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar ... _new_deal/
Do u think its a lot? I like the Hammer but he is on the second defensive line and his contract is only 1 mil or so cheaper than stars Kaner , Taser. Billick got 4 mil per but has been on the first line.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks