ImageImageImageImage

who will the wings get for back up goaltender

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

who will the wings get for back up goaltender 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jul 5, 2011 12:02 pm

my pick is=Emery returned to the NHL last season after playing a year in Russia and helped get the Anaheim Ducks into the playoffs. He went 7-2-0 with a 2.28 goals against average and a .926 save percentage.

Emery was a finalist for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the player that exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... =fullstory
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: who will the wings get for back up goaltender 

Post#2 » by TSE » Tue Jul 5, 2011 4:18 pm

I predict Nabokov since he still has a bit left in the tank and he probably won't work out things with his current team, so somebody will probably get him for a cheap deal or nondescript player trade. We also have Osgood and Hasek as last time one year fillers before one of our 3 goalie prospects emerge to be worthy of a roster spot the next season, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to already give one of those guys a shot and just let the three of them be the backup G by committee until somebody develops. Heck if you want to be technical, Joey MacDonald had a better save percentage than Jimmy Howard did, so you'd think that would warrant him for consideration to try and nail down that spot. I like Mrazek the most, I think he has shown the most potential, but either he or McCollum we need to hope for, and since I badly wanted to draft multiple goalies in this draft and we didn't draft any, that would suggest to me that the Wings are extremely confident that this group will for certain produce a stud player. At least that's the gambling assumption that they are forced to bank on now since they don't have other inhouse options to insure against that, so they better have a good one in there.

I also thought Vokoun was a possibility cause I figured he might go somwhere cheap. He just signed for $1.5M, so if we didn't get Vokoun for around 1.5M then we must have something better, which can't be that bad.

EDIT: I just read the rest of the article, and I see the part about Vokoun signing being mentioned and Holland's comments that they already reached out to other goalies that signed elsewhere. He said about 4 of them went for an opportunity where they thought they could be a #1 goalie this year or in the near future, and that they didn't see that opportunity here in Detroit cause of our plans with Howard. That's just great. Well now we know more about the true cost of Jimmy Howard, he has a fresh contract with the numbers listed of what the dollars cost, but now apparently we lose possibly our top 4 other goalie options and take a slice of value away from there, so you have to factor that in as the cost of Jimmy Howard, making my radical idea to trade him before the draft seemingly even better that I thought it was. Keep in mind that this supplemental dynamic of guys like Vokoun then would have INCREASED in value as our job opening for a #1 and prestige level might have got us a lot better deal than Vokoun at $1.5M, so he would have had a freebie bonus to our overall goalie wealth while also massively injecting cheap youth to get a nasty stranglehold of a goalie monopoly later on. Although Holland did state for a fact that Jimmy Howard will be even better this year, I guess making logical trades doesn't count when you are clairvoyant and a hockey scouting God to know for sure how your young and unproven players will become proven. Holland is an idiot.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: who will the wings get for back up goaltender 

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 5, 2011 8:48 pm

I heard we signed Ty Conklin. Decent backup, certainly won't threaten Howard at all

Return to Detroit Red Wings