ImageImageImageImage

Around the NHL.

Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Around the NHL. 

Post#21 » by TSE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:46 am

Yeah, basically our team is in really great shape for a long future so there's not really anything we can do except just take small gains wherever we can get them to become even better for the future. Being fine is one thing, but being the best you possibly can is another, and PHI and VAN have more pts than us for a reason, and that reason is we aren't perfect, so we have some work to do.
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#22 » by Rodya » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Just checked the standings and it turns out NJ is only 6 points behind the 8th seed. The Devils are 8-2 in their last 10 games and have been playing great hockey since the All-Star Break. The teams challenging them for the 8th seed (Rangers, Hurricane, Sabres, Thrashers, and Leafs) are all playing .500 hockey, leaving NJ poised to overtake the final playoff seed. I've watched them the last few weeks and they look dangerous, what a huge turnaround since their pathetic start to the season.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#23 » by ajaX82 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Rodya wrote:Just checked the standings and it turns out NJ is only 6 points behind the 8th seed. The Devils are 8-2 in their last 10 games and have been playing great hockey since the All-Star Break. The teams challenging them for the 8th seed (Rangers, Hurricane, Sabres, Thrashers, and Leafs) are all playing .500 hockey, leaving NJ poised to overtake the final playoff seed. I've watched them the last few weeks and they look dangerous, what a huge turnaround since their pathetic start to the season.

Obviously the coaching change had a big impact. And they finally removed heads from asses. Having Parise out the entire season sure hasn't helped them though, he is a helluva player
Rodya
Starter

Post#24 » by Rodya » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 pm

True dat. I'm excited to watch whatever unlucky team has to face the Devils in the playoffs. The run the Devils are currently on reminds me a lot of the run the Flyers made towards the end of last season and into the Finals.
Rodya
Starter

Post#25 » by Rodya » Tue Jun 7, 2011 1:08 pm

Did anyone see game three of the Cup Finals? I was expecting Boston to win this one, but not in such dominate fashion. The first two games lead me to believe Boston would lose this series 4-1. But, 8-1? Really? Wow, I'm interested to see how Luongo bounces back from this one.
TSE
Banned User

Post#26 » by TSE » Tue Jun 7, 2011 3:21 pm

I did. And who would expect an 8-1 hockey game anyhow? Lopsided games with flukey scores are inevitably always going to happen. If you could pick the greatest hockey team from every season, well in those seasons you will always be able to find a case here and there where that team lost a game badly. That's all part of the statistical science of sports, and the best teams can minimize that quantity, but still not altogether, and freshly after a defeat of that nature, it's not fair to then take that single game and let that reflect the current true value differential between the 2 teams. So I'm not that shocked and that much on the edge of my seat, to me Vancouver still has the comfy advantage and I predict they will win it all.
Rodya
Starter

Post#27 » by Rodya » Wed Jun 8, 2011 4:52 am

Bryzgalov's rights just got traded to Philly for a third rounder and some trash. I'm a huge fan of his and not just because I'm Russian. I prefer him to Howard, it'll be interesting to see how much he signs for.
TSE
Banned User

Post#28 » by TSE » Wed Jun 8, 2011 5:09 pm

Yeah I had him on my radar too cause we still need another goalie and it's unclear if our top 2 young guys McCollum and Mrazek are going to amount to anything. Joey MacDonald could still be an option with some decent play in short time. Hopefully one of those 3 can pan out so we don't have to sign another goalie. Mrazek had a fantastic year last year statistically, was one of the best goalies in the league until the playoffs when he had a complete meltdown and got shelled every game. 2.84 GPG and .920 SP (1st place ranking), but 4 games in the playoffs he had 5.64 GPG and .868 SP. He did have a solid year the year before that too, so if I had to gamble on somebody that has the most potential upside, it's probably Mrazek for now, McCollum just can't seem to get things going. MacDonald seems like the safest backup for now.

Or as an option, we could sign Dominik Hasek and he could just still be better than every other goalie while hitting age 47. He has at least one year left LOL.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jun 8, 2011 7:12 pm

Rodya wrote:Bryzgalov's rights just got traded to Philly for a third rounder and some trash. I'm a huge fan of his and not just because I'm Russian. I prefer him to Howard, it'll be interesting to see how much he signs for.

I'd love Bryz but we can't afford him. And we have devoted so much time to Jimmy that its kind of late in the process to jettison him now.

A nice thought, truly, but it ain't happening.
Rodya
Starter

Post#30 » by Rodya » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:00 pm

Oh, I wasn't insinuating that we should've made a play for him. I still like Howard's potential and the fact that he signed a new contract with us pretty much eliminated any chance of acquiring another starting caliber goaltender. I was simply commenting on how, IMHO, cheaply Philly was able to acquire Bryzgalov. Those lucky bastards are going to be damn good next year, that is, if they are able to re-sign Bryz.
Rodya
Starter

Post#31 » by Rodya » Thu Jun 9, 2011 6:09 pm

Chris Drury is getting bought out by New York. I really can't remember the last time an NHL player with such a large contract was bought out. Interestingly enough, he made $8 million per the last two seasons and was set to make $5 this upcoming season. However, his cap number currently is $7.05 million. Smart move on NY's part.

For the record, I have absolutely no interest in signing the guy once he's a free-agent. I'm not sure his body can keep up anymore, this isn't the same guy that played for Colorado and Buffalo.
Rodya
Starter

Post#32 » by Rodya » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Looks like Nashville has filed arbitration with Shea Weber. No team can offer him a contract once the free-agency period officially starts July 1st and that Nashville has until the end of July to come to an agreement with Shea or else it will go to arbitration.

Does anyone know if arbitration deals are normally one-year contracts? If that's the case and both sides are unable to come to an agreement before arbitration, I'll be looking forward to next off-season.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:44 pm

^I wish I knew more about contracts but I'll try and look into it tonight for you
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 am

An arbitrator then can award Weber a one- or two-year contract. Weber would decide if it’s a one- or two-year deal. He has said he would like to remain with the Predators.

Thats what I found

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110 ... 072/SPORTS

and

Sources say the Predators did so in order to protect themselves from another NHL team making an offer sheet on Weber. Offer sheets are prohibited on RFAs who are being taken to arbitration.

It is now up to Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet, to elect whether the arbitration is a one-year or two-year term. That decision, though, is not required until 48 hours prior to the arbitration hearing, which can’t happen until after July 20.

In the meantime, Bousquet and the Predators will continue to work towards a long term contract that can be arrived at any time before the arbitration.
They’ve been negotiating for the last two days

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011 ... er-sheets/
Rodya
Starter

Post#35 » by Rodya » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Appreciate the response ajax. Here's to seeing him in red and white next season.
Rodya
Starter

Post#36 » by Rodya » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 pm

ESPN wrote:The Flyers signed goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year deal worth $51M, a source told ESPN.com Thursday.

The Flyers acquired the rights to Brygazlov earlier this month from the Coyotes. He was to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.
Rodya
Starter

Post#37 » by Rodya » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Ilya Bryzgalov just signed a nine-year deal worth $51M. More than What I expected, does anyone know if it's a flat rate or front/back loaded contract?
TSE
Banned User

Post#38 » by TSE » Mon Jul 4, 2011 3:33 am

Heatley got traded. Would have been nice if we could have traded Cleary or Franzen for him plus somebody else if that wasn't enough. We should have been able to give them something worth more than Havlat and still make out in the deal.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jul 5, 2011 7:13 pm

TSE wrote:Heatley got traded. Would have been nice if we could have traded Cleary or Franzen for him plus somebody else if that wasn't enough. We should have been able to give them something worth more than Havlat and still make out in the deal.

Heatley isn't a Red Wing type player. No defense and doesn't show up in crunch time. We could use a sniper but it would have cost too much. And his contract is atrocious.

No way would I have made a move for him
TSE
Banned User

Post#40 » by TSE » Tue Jul 5, 2011 7:48 pm

Ok, who do you want then in exchange for the package of Cleary, Franzen, and Howard, and any draft picks to get any good players? I would cash those guys in and go after guys like Chara and Weber and rebuild through getting the pair of them first and then working my way back around everywhere else.

Return to Detroit Red Wings