The Officla 2010 Draft/Offseason Thread

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

The Officla 2010 Draft/Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Well we started off our offseason with a great draft. Picking up Taylor Hall, the best player in the draft and hopefully the dynamic goal scorer we've needed for a long time. I also like all of our second round picks. Tyler Pitlick looks like he could become a very two way player, Martin Marincin is a good looking big young D-man, and Curtis Hamilton is a big pyhsical winger who's got some potential. In the draft we added the two things our farm system lacks; a big time scorer and some size.

Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson and Patrick O'Sullivan were all placed on waivers yesterday and today the Blue Jackets claimed Moreau. Suprised Horcoff wasn't put on waivers, his contract is really holding us back we need to get rid of him.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: The Officla 2010 Draft/Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Mon Jul 5, 2010 10:44 pm

Taylor Hall has offically signed an NHL contract, hopefully he can produce for us next year we definitly someone that can produce.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Mon Jul 5, 2010 11:11 pm

Aparently Nikolai Zherdev wants to come back the NHL and he's asking for 4 million a season. I think he'd be a great addition to our team, we need scoring and he'd fit well on a line with Eberle and Hall. He could be 30 goal scorer in the NHL and for 4 million a season I think thats a pretty good deal.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 6, 2010 12:40 am

We've doing a good job of clearing cap space so far this offseason. We've managed to get rid of Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O'Sullivan and Sheldon Souray. Now all we need to do is lose Horcoff and Gilbert and we'll be in good shape.

I really like the addition of Kurtis Foster, solid defenseman who can really hammer pucks from the point, we got a pretty reasonable price too.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#5 » by skorff26 » Thu Jul 8, 2010 5:29 am

Nolan wrote:Aparently Nikolai Zherdev wants to come back the NHL and he's asking for 4 million a season. I think he'd be a great addition to our team, we need scoring and he'd fit well on a line with Eberle and Hall. He could be 30 goal scorer in the NHL and for 4 million a season I think thats a pretty good deal.

I don't know about Zherdev for 4 mill, that's probably more then I'd want to pay for him. Plus he's a bit of a headcase, and I don't know if I want that around all the young guys that we're bringing in.
skorff26
Analyst

Post#6 » by skorff26 » Thu Jul 8, 2010 5:31 am

Nolan wrote:We've doing a good job of clearing cap space so far this offseason. We've managed to get rid of Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O'Sullivan and Sheldon Souray. Now all we need to do is lose Horcoff and Gilbert and we'll be in good shape.

I really like the addition of Kurtis Foster, solid defenseman who can really hammer pucks from the point, we got a pretty reasonable price too.

Moreau and O'Sullivan are completely gone. We still owe Souray and Nilsson some money since we couldn't trade/waive them. We didn't waive Horcoff since Oilers management loves him + he makes a ton of money for a lot of years and waiving him would mean he'd still be getting paid for a long time.

I really like the Foster signing too, a big D is nice to have. He'd be solid on the 3rd D pairing with quite a bit of time spent on the 1st PP unit (replacing Souray).
skorff26
Analyst

Post#7 » by skorff26 » Thu Jul 8, 2010 5:40 am

Nolan wrote:Well we started off our offseason with a great draft. Picking up Taylor Hall, the best player in the draft and hopefully the dynamic goal scorer we've needed for a long time. I also like all of our second round picks. Tyler Pitlick looks like he could become a very two way player, Martin Marincin is a good looking big young D-man, and Curtis Hamilton is a big pyhsical winger who's got some potential. In the draft we added the two things our farm system lacks; a big time scorer and some size.

Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson and Patrick O'Sullivan were all placed on waivers yesterday and today the Blue Jackets claimed Moreau. Suprised Horcoff wasn't put on waivers, his contract is really holding us back we need to get rid of him.

I was a Seguin guy, but I can't be upset with taking Hall. Plus you are right on, we got a lot of interesting prospects in the later rounds.
I really like Pitlick, I think he'll be on the team in 3 or 4 years.
I don't know much about Marcinin but a 6-4 D is always a bit intriguing
I like our 3rd rounder Martindale, another kid with some size and talent
I really like our pick in the 6th round of Davidson, from what I've read he could be good.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:34 pm

skorff26 wrote:
Nolan wrote:We've doing a good job of clearing cap space so far this offseason. We've managed to get rid of Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O'Sullivan and Sheldon Souray. Now all we need to do is lose Horcoff and Gilbert and we'll be in good shape.

Moreau and O'Sullivan are completely gone. We still owe Souray and Nilsson some money since we couldn't trade/waive them. We didn't waive Horcoff since Oilers management loves him + he makes a ton of money for a lot of years and waiving him would mean he'd still be getting paid for a long time.

I really like the Foster signing too, a big D is nice to have. He'd be solid on the 3rd D pairing with quite a bit of time spent on the 1st PP unit (replacing Souray).

I just don't see any team taking him. So we might as well send him too the minors and take half of his salary off the books.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:40 pm

skorff26 wrote:
Nolan wrote:Well we started off our offseason with a great draft. Picking up Taylor Hall, the best player in the draft and hopefully the dynamic goal scorer we've needed for a long time. I also like all of our second round picks. Tyler Pitlick looks like he could become a very two way player, Martin Marincin is a good looking big young D-man, and Curtis Hamilton is a big pyhsical winger who's got some potential. In the draft we added the two things our farm system lacks; a big time scorer and some size.

I was a Seguin guy, but I can't be upset with taking Hall. Plus you are right on, we got a lot of interesting prospects in the later rounds.
I really like Pitlick, I think he'll be on the team in 3 or 4 years.
I don't know much about Marcinin but a 6-4 D is always a bit intriguing
I like our 3rd rounder Martindale, another kid with some size and talent
I really like our pick in the 6th round of Davidson, from what I've read he could be good.

I was a Seguin guy too, but I really think both guys are going to be very good players.

We just signed Ben Ondrus to a one year deal. Nice pickup for the farm team and possibly a decent fourth liner. He'll bring some leadership and toughness to our system.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 pm

We just resigned Gilbert Brule today. Really happy to have him back, he had a very solid season last year 17 goals, 20 assists in 65 games. Hopefully he can continue to develop.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nolan » Sat Aug 7, 2010 9:54 pm

We signed Martin Gerber to a 1 year deal today. Not a bad pickup, its really looking like Khabibulin isn't going to be on the team next year. He'll be a good veteran to show our young goalies the ropes.

Return to Edmonton Oilers