The Official 2011 Offseason/Draft Thread

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

The Official 2011 Offseason/Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Since our season is already over I thought i'd start a thread to dicuss what we should do in the offseaon.

Right now we have 2 first round picks. Ours which looks like its going to be the 1st overall pick and Los Angeles pick which looks like its going to be in the early 20's. Who should we pick? I like Adam Larsson, he's a big smooth skating two way defense with a ton of potential. He fills a need and he looks the best player in this draft. If he's still available I want Duncan Siemens with the Kings pick. He's a very physical stay at home defenseman who plays big minutes. In the future I could definitely see playing along side Larsson in the future.

When it comes to trades and free agency I think we should make a couple of moves. We need to add a few good role players to this team.

We have a lot of young small forwards who need some protection. Stortini and MacIntyre are both decent at what they do, but thats all they do. Cody McCormick's going to be a free agent this year and he's a player that can not only protect his teammates but he can put the puck in the net and he's a good checker. Zenon Konopka is quickly becoming one of the best enforcers in the league and he's also one of the better faceoff guys in the league.

When it comes to making trades I think we should try to move a few of our veterans. We should look to move Ales Hemsky, Tom Gilbert and Nikolai Khabibulin if we can.

What do you guys think?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: The Official 2011 Offseason/Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 am

And we just won the draft lottery, back to back first overal picks for us!!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Was just looking at the free agent list and there were a few names that caught my eye. Guys that could be had for a reasonable price and will help us now and into the future. Here's the list:

Zenon Konopka - as I said before he'll bring toughness and some help in the faceoff circle.

Shane O'Brien - tough gritty stay at home defenseman. Could become a younger version of Vandermeer/ Strudwick.

Joel Ward - Gritty two way veteran forward who can also score some goals. We need some physical forwards and he fits the bill.

Scottie Upshall - Would love to pick him up. He's an Alberta boy who plays the game very physically, provides leadership and he can score.

Would love to get 1 or all of these guys.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Fri Jun 3, 2011 4:59 pm

It looks like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the new #1 ranked talent in the draft. I like him alot as player but if we do go with him we're going to have to make a few moves to improve our defense.

Return to Edmonton Oilers