Moderator: Morris_Shatford

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Re: 2012 Off-Season Thread 

Post#21 » by spykelee » Mon Jul 2, 2012 2:09 am

Habs doin's on opening day...

Bergevin signed rugged left-winger Brandon Prust from the New York Rangers to a US$10-million, four-year contract and inked right-winger Colby Armstrong from the Toronto Maple Leafs to a $1-million, one-year deal.

They also brought back veteran defenceman Francis Bouillon from the Nashville Predators for $1 million over one year.

I love the Prust signing. gritty forward, with a lot of toughness, exactly what we needed up front. A little on the high side contract wise, especially considering his production, but we despertly need that toughness. I could certainly live without Colby Armstrong, but I guess he could be useful if he wasn't made of glass. And I don't mind the Bouillon signing. He's seviceable at the very least. Still gotta get PK and Carey re-upped. But after that, we are in desperate need of some top 6 talent.

and ofcourse they re-upped Moen yesterday. Him and Prust would make a solid checking line for sure.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by spykelee » Tue Jul 3, 2012 4:00 am

The Canadiens have signed All-Star goaltender Carey Price to a six-year contract.

The Canadiens announced the deal will begin with the 2012-13 season and a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun it will have an average annual value of $6.5M.

Read more: http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar ... z1zWqBtOmR

Can't argue with these terms, 6.5 per is solid value imo.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#23 » by Snayr » Mon Jul 9, 2012 1:05 am

Hey Fellas!

Carey Price - Pretty solid deal for both Price and the Habs. While Price has the makings of an elite goaltender, he's not quite there yet. However, he's still young, and 3-4 years away from his prime. Signing him for 6 years has us guaranteed to have him around the beginning of some of his best years of his career. All in all, thumbs up on the move!

Scott Gomez - From the sounds of things, they're counting on Gomez coming into camp. Maybe this is them blowing smoke for appearance, but I'm a little concerned he'll be around again this year. I too would like to see him either buried in the minors or given permission to play in Europe. However, not keeping my fingers crossed.

Colby Armstrong - For the sum we signed him to, and the contract length... I can't complain. Before Toronto, he never really had any problems staying in the line up and avoiding injuries. If I had to play in Toronto, I'd be injured all the time too! I don't particularly like Armstrong as a player, because I find him to be on the dirty side of things, however, maybe that's exactly what we need on our team at this point.

Brandon Prust - What's not to like? Exactly the rugged type of character player this team needs more of. Did the Habs pay a bit much for him? Sure. But if he regains his offensive touch from 2 seasons ago, and maintains that gritty style of play... he's going to be a great addition!

Francis Bouillon - What's not to like about Frankie? He's a hard working, hard hitting, rugged 6th-7th DMan. Also on a one year contract while our youngin's get their first year in the AHL (Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu, etc). Perfect stop gap for a couple years for the Habs. He's been here before (I always liked him too) and is a consummate professional. Also, to appease the french... he's from Quebec.

Lars Eller - I really like Lars, and don't think he gets enough credit for what he does. I love watching him fly up the ice with the puck! He's such a good skater, and the puck sticks to his stick while going through 2 or 3 defenders! His shot has gotten better as well. Not to mention the kid has good vision, and is capable of playing defensively! Very good contract for what he brings!

Alex Galchenyuk - This is the kid I wanted. We FINALLY have the big, strong, skilled centerman that the Habs have so desperately needed the past 20 years! I know there is some concern about his knee, however I think the kid is going to be a-ok. He probably would have been 1st overall this draft if not for his knee injury. The fact he was so highly touted by everyone despite barely playing all season is a testament to how big of a deal this kid is. Things are looking good in Hab Land!

All in all I'm happy with the way the offseason has gone for the Habs. Bergevin seems to want to see either Leblanc or Gallagher in the top 6 this season (most likely Louis), so I don't think we'll be getting any more help there... Now we have to wait and see what PK gets and for how long! Can't wait for hockey to start back up again! Hate the offseason...

Go Habs Go!
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#24 » by Snayr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Habs re-sign Diaz to a new deal. 2 years/2.45 mill total. 1.225 million dollar cap hit.

Frankly, I don't really like or dislike Diaz. I like him much more than I do Weber. Hope to see Weber traded before the season kicks off.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
DaveMeyers
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#25 » by DaveMeyers » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I really like the Price, Galchenyuk, and especially the the Prust signings. The Habs are looking like a tougher and more defensive team. Boullion is a good deal and will help "make the organization more French" as some Habs fans would put it. Gomez needs to be sent down to start the season; that's pretty obvious I guess. I am happy with the rebuilding moves that Bergevin has been making in such a short time and I can't wait until we lock up PK. All we need is patience.

Go Habs
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by spykelee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 am

Yea Bergevin overal has been doing a great job. Gotta tip your hat to him. He's done about as well as can be expected really. Toughing up this team was an absolute must. Agree with the patience comment. Bergevin seems to have a good handle on things, it shouldn't take too long to at least return oursevles to some competitive hockey in the Spring.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#27 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm

We got Price at a pretty respectable rate;
My feelings on Galchenyuk have been pretty clear for a while, I don't love him but I would gladly be proven wrong.

I need some help loving the Prust signing;
If you want a gritty guy who hits everything that moves you have Cole and Alexei Emelin already, Prust certainly adds some grit to the wing which is nice, but I would have rather spent more money and added grit that actually helped us score

Overall I am pretty impressed with Bergevin,
His draft night was interesting, a lot of very very safe picks basically mopping up a lot of the guys who fell into later rounds.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by spykelee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:We got Price at a pretty respectable rate;
My feelings on Galchenyuk have been pretty clear for a while, I don't love him but I would gladly be proven wrong.

I need some help loving the Prust signing;
If you want a gritty guy who hits everything that moves you have Cole and Alexei Emelin already, Prust certainly adds some grit to the wing which is nice, but I would have rather spent more money and added grit that actually helped us score

Overall I am pretty impressed with Bergevin,
His draft night was interesting, a lot of very very safe picks basically mopping up a lot of the guys who fell into later rounds.

Prust is overpaid for what he brings, no question, but the guy brings so much, much needed toughness I think many habs fans turn a blind eye to the contract. Especially up front, we just didn't have that on our forward lines. It'd be nice if he could score more, but toughness that scores more is tough to find, possibly the toughest thing of all to find in today's NHL. Those kinds of talents are generally franchise players.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#29 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm

I appreciate that its certainly something we need,
However I am a strong believer that in the NHL the cost to get a player twice as good is rarely double.

I think we could have spent a bit more and got someone who will ultimately have a bit more impact,

Prust just seems like a long contract when compared to guys of equal size and skill.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by spykelee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Perhaps, im interested to see the price on guys like Bobby Ryan and to a lesser extent Rick Nash when all is said and done. These guys are premiere power forwards, and with Ryan at least, the habs where rumored on him at one point... But solid point about it seldom costing double. We paid a hefty price for a bunch of stuff that isn't going to show up on the stat sheet at the end of the night. An area we needed addressed no question, but it certainly would have been nice to fill up a few more columns for sure.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#31 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

After seeing the fairly "meh" return the Coats got for Nash;

Brandon Dubinsky
Artem Anisimov
Tim Erixon
Rangers 2013 1st

You gotta believe we could have offered more?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#32 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Can someone correct me if I am wrong;

We have 7m and change left in capspace?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#33 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Should I be worried that P.K. Subban doesn't have an extension yet?
DaveMeyers
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by DaveMeyers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Should I be worried that P.K. Subban doesn't have an extension yet?

I am. I've been checking every day for updates and all I've heard recently is that talks are "heating up".
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#35 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 1, 2012 2:07 pm

DaveMeyers wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Should I be worried that P.K. Subban doesn't have an extension yet?

I am. I've been checking every day for updates and all I've heard recently is that talks are "heating up".

Any idea on what sort of years and dollars are being discussed?
DaveMeyers
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by DaveMeyers » Wed Aug 1, 2012 6:50 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
DaveMeyers wrote:

Any idea on what sort of years and dollars are being discussed?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/01/report-montreal-offers-subban-two-year-5-5-million-deal/
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by spykelee » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:49 am

Ya I heard today it was 2 years 5.5 million. That's a solid deal if we can up him for that. Hell I'd go up from there and add some years if we could.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#38 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:55 pm

That seems fairly low;
It also sets us up to have to pay him mega dollars if he keeps playing well in two seasons.

I suspect if he opts for a 2/5.5 he may end up being packaged later this season to add a legit Top 3 forward.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by spykelee » Thu Aug 9, 2012 5:50 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:That seems fairly low;
It also sets us up to have to pay him mega dollars if he keeps playing well in two seasons.

I suspect if he opts for a 2/5.5 he may end up being packaged later this season to add a legit Top 3 forward.

I'm not sure on trading him, at least not this season, but he's certainly setting himself up for a huge payday in a couple years. I'd much rather pay 3.5 -4.5 per, but have him locked up for say 4-5 seasons then get a bargain for the next couple seasons only to watch him walk.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#40 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

I am a firm believer that anything can be had for the right price;
If dealing Subban means we get our hands on a legit front-end offensive place in his 20's then I would at least need to consider it.

Return to Montreal Canadiens