Canadiens to Draft 3rd Overall

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Canadiens to Draft 3rd Overall 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

The Montreal Canadiens will pick third followed by the New York Islanders and Toronto Maple Leafs.

There isn't much consensus at the top end of this draft class beyond Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov, who is listed as the best North American-based skater by NHL central scouting. However, there are a number of other intriguing prospects to pick between after him.

"It's very significant," Habs assistant GM Larry Carriere said of his team's pick. "You look at this pick and you look at the number of top five picks -- and certainly No. 3 picks -- that have good impacts on teams over the years and there's quite a few of them. We're pretty excited and looking forward to having a real good young player."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392790
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Re: Canadiens to Draft 3rd Overall 

Post#2 » by spykelee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 am

Well at least we didn't lose any ground. Can't complain with a top 3 pick. Damn Edmonton though, how much good young talent does that team need?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#3 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Yeah its tragic;

Because I was sure the Oilers would have taken Ryan Murray with the second overall pick, he has the potential to be THAT good and the Oilers could use the help on their blueline, but now they have to take Yakupov which I firmly believe forces the Coats to take Grigorenko as they need some talent upfront to placate the fans.

While Murray may be a steal at three, I get the feeling the Habs are going to look for a center and that leaves pretty well Galchenyuk, who I really don't love as a prospect.

I think its an ideal trade down situation.
The Islanders are going to want Murray and if Murray goes 3rd I think they will take Dumba so even swapping with the Leafs or Ducks may not be a bad idea because chances are one of Galchenyuk or Forsberg will be available at six assuming you move 3 with the intention of that team taking Murray.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:01 pm

While there has been a lot of talk about the Habs first rounder, its the pick @ 33 that has me really wondering.

This is an interesting year for goaltending, like 2005 interesting (IE Price, Rask, Quick, Bishop, Pavelec)

@ 33 I suspect Subban will be gone, but I think Montreal will have one of Malcolm Subban, Andrei Vasilevski, or Oscar Dansk on the board.

I hope we snag one of them.

Return to Montreal Canadiens