Marc Bergevin: New Canadiens GM

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,446

Marc Bergevin: New Canadiens GM 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed May 2, 2012 5:57 pm

Blackhawks assistant general manager Marc Bergevin has been named general manager of the Canadiens.

Montreal team owner, president and CEO Geofff Molson announced the hiring on the team's website and said a news conference to introduce Bergevin would be held Wednesday afternoon

Read more: http://hockey.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar ... z1tji91GQm
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Re: Marc Bergevin: New Canadiens GM 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed May 2, 2012 5:57 pm

Thank goodness!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#3 » by spykelee » Thu May 3, 2012 2:25 am

Like this one Morris?

I guess it's okay given our options... but I don't really think he's the best guy, just in terms of experience, and the firestorm he's walking into. It's more just because he's an executive on a good team that was born in Montreal and speaks French. He was at least a pro scout for a number of years, so at the very least, hopefully he can keep the system stocked with talent.

Anyways, big decisions indeed. Hopefully he can buy out Gomez, and get Carey re-signed. I also like that he's keeping Cunneyworth on. The players seemed to like him so it's nice to see him staying on, at least for now.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu May 3, 2012 2:57 pm

Love it.

Considering the restrictions we faced having to bring in a French speaking GM.
Bergevin was my first choice because he played, he has scouted, and was in Chicago during a pretty impressive collection of young talent.

Julien Brisebois (Tampa's AGM) was my second choice.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by spykelee » Sat May 5, 2012 7:31 am

I think that's what bothers me... Considering the restrictions, he's the best guy we could have gotten. Was he just the flat out best guy for the job? No.

Doesn't mean I'm disappointed in it. Like you, given our options, I think he was the best choice considering... I just wish it didn't have to come to that. This whole language thing, and Quebec in general is becoming quite the nuisance once again in Canada. Not to get off-topic, but even Michael Ignatieff questioned what Canada has in common with Quebec anymore... I just wish we hired the best guy for the job, enough with this catering.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#6 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree with what you are saying;
But lets look at it this way, what if the Leafs hired some hockey genius out of Russia to be their GM who's English was limited, the media would run the guy out of town.

While I would rather have the best man for the job, I can at least understand that in a market where 60 -70% of the media speaks French that you want a guy who speaks French as his primary language.

If we made a list of available folks for the GM position with no restrictions on language or place of birth I still think that Bergevin in terms of guys who are available is a top three guy, whereas the others wouldnt make my top 10.

Bergevin comes from a team that drafted VERY well, and we are a team that needs a little help in that regard, so given our salary commitments and Bergevin coming from a franchise that was very good at adding young talent I am still pretty happy considering.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by spykelee » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 am

Yea that's a good way of looking at it Morris. I guess it just depends on where you rank Bergevin. Personally, I would have liked somebody with a bit more experience taking the GM's chair in Montreal, especially with the present state of our franchise, but sometimes, young guys, are the people most in touch with today's players and game that even though there short on experience, they bring a number of other valuable assets.

Where we differ though, is I don't really care at all if the GM speaks french or not. I don't think we need somebody who has to cater to this market. I'm tired of catering to Quebec in general. I could maybe relent in that we need somebody somewhere in the orginization to speak french, but does it 100% have to be the general manager? It's just that, it's a job, where there's only 30 positions in the world available, why limit our scope to people who speak french. We can get people who speak french and give them some sort of translator or special assistant to the GM or something role, but for the GM, let's get the best guy.

Having said that, Bergevin isn't a bad choice, french or not. Let's just hope he gets this ship righted.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#8 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:56 pm

I am always a little mixed on taking in "newbs" as Coaches or GM's.
However based on what we are seeing coming out of the woodwork now about how terribly run the organization was its hard to believe we could have attracted a real "star" to run the front office.

The more I think on Bergevin, the reality is that given my choice of assistant around the NHL he certainly ranks up there as a guy who would have got a job as a GM somewhere sooner or later and that is really all I can ask for.

Return to Montreal Canadiens