Habs name Therrien head coach

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Habs name Therrien head coach 

Post#1 » by spykelee » Tue Jun 5, 2012 1:03 pm

Only the Canadiens would hire a guy who coached the team under a decade ago... Atleast since then he's been to the stanley cup finals, but it was with Pittsburgh, so take that with a grain of salt.

The Montreal Canadiens are expected to name Michel Therrien as the team's next head coach, with an announcement coming in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Therrien will replace interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth, who was removed from the position by general manager Marc Bergevin on May 2.

The 48-year-old Therrien returns to the Canadiens' bench for the first time since he replaced Alain Vigneault as head coach during the 2000-01 season. He worked two-and-a-half seasons at the helm before being replaced by Claude Julien in 2002-03.

Therrien then worked in the AHL where he coached the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins before being named the Pittsburgh Penguins' head coach midway through the 2005-06 season. He worked four seasons in Pittsburgh, leading the team to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007-08.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Re: Habs name Therrien head coach 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jun 6, 2012 5:10 pm

You have to be F'n kidding me.

A week ago, the names were Marc Crawford, Bob Hartley, and Partick Roy and we end up with Therrien?

The word "terrible" doesn't do this justice.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#3 » by spykelee » Thu Jun 7, 2012 2:12 am

I know, out of left field eh? I'm not terribly enthusiastic about it either. I hope he has learned from his past mistakes and refined his approach a bit, but man... I would have been much happier with Crawford than Therrien for sure. I just hope either way, that we don't see a repeat of the defensive garbage that Martin preached. We gotta release the hounds if you will...
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jun 7, 2012 3:10 pm

spykelee wrote:I know, out of left field eh? I'm not terribly enthusiastic about it either. I hope he has learned from his past mistakes and refined his approach a bit, but man... I would have been much happier with Crawford than Therrien for sure. I just hope either way, that we don't see a repeat of the defensive garbage that Martin preached. We gotta release the hounds if you will...

If I can make one assumption about Therrien its that his players work hard on the front-end and tune him out within a few seasons.

However, Therrien handled the media very well his first go around and that seems to be the basis for this terrible signing.

As I said before; I feel that Marc Bergevin was a top three candidate regardless of his native tongue. Therrien in terms of available coaches, even coaches who speak French doesnt make my top five.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#5 » by CrookedJ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Help. I think there has been some kind of break in the time-space continuum.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#6 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Feeling a little too much like 2002 for your liking?

Return to Montreal Canadiens