2013 Regular Season Thread

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

2013 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1 » by spykelee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Well, not off to a great start. We couldn't generate really any offense. Lots of missed passes, overskated pucks, and just general rust. We did not look sharp at all. I'd like to attribute that to nerves and rust and what have you, but in reality, I just don't believe this squad is very good.

One thing for sure, P.K's got himself some leverage.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Re: 2013 Regular Season Thread 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm

With Gomer Gone and off the books, we are in an interesting situation.
We end up with 11m in salary this summer which will largely be eaten with extensions, however in 2014 Markov, Kaberle, and Gionta are off the books.

I would almost be fine with throwing away this 48 game season for a solid chance to land Nathan MacKinnon, heck even Drouin or Barkov would be a nice pairing with Galchenyuk.

Then you have a few solid young pieces to go along with a respectable chunk of capspace.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by spykelee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 am

Ya I hadn't really looked at the capspace Morris but that is interesting to note. Looking at our roster it sure wouldn't appear that were any sort of threat to anybody this year. I'm not sure we'll "throw" the season, but I'd be shocked if we don't end up with a top 10 at worst, hell, even top 5 pick post season. We just do not have the goal scoring to stay competitive with many teams.

That said, I approve of your scenario. I'd be perfectly fine with trying to nab as high a pick as possible this season and getting set to re-build this thing properly. In the capped system, that really is the only way you can succeed. Only problem I see is that's at least 2 years away before were competitive. As you likely know from the raptors board, I have a hard time getting behind losing, especially for multiple years. Even if I know in the long run it's the best solution. Just wish there was some sort of FF button, I need a winning team somewhere.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

The difference between the Habs and the Raptors is that the Habs have potentially elite players on their roster, they just need to fill it out.

Price is elite;
Maybe last nights goal by Galchenyuk has got me wearing rose colored glasses but he looks potentially elite.

This year is largely a "lets see what we have" year.
If you can add another potentially elite player this summer, then next season you are growing as a core maybe not playoffs but competitive then the summer of 2014 you spend all that space to round out the balance.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by spykelee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Well 3-1 and we go out and sign PK... I don't mind the contact, infact, I quite like it, forcing him to grow up and wear his big boy pants if he wants to get that big payday...

That said, did you catch the reaction of some of his teammates? There literally wasn't 1 guy rejoicing that he's back. A bunch of, "ask me questions about the upcoming games" or "I dont want to talk about PK anymore, I want to talk about the guys that are here in this room"

We've often heard about Montreal's reluctance for whatever reason to sign PK long term. Seeing the re-actions of some of his teammates, I think it's pretty clear where PK needs to "grow up" for lack of a better term.

With all that being as it is, I'm happy he's back in the fold and the contract is reasonable. Not much different than what he could have signed for back in training camp.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by spykelee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 am

So two big W's down south, knocking off Tampa and Florida. Currently 7th, two games in hand on both Toronto and Ottawa and only a point behind. Though a tanking option wouldn't be nice for this season, it doesn't appear like were that bad. Probably in the 6-8 range come seasons end. Personally, I wont mind watching some playoff hockey. With a good goaltender and a defensive system in place, you never know what can happen.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#7 » by Morris_Shatford » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Little late to the BBQ but I like PK deal.
He is basically making Prust money and is still an RFA at the end of the deal.

On the matter of contracts;
Pac's deal is looking solid!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by spykelee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:10 am

Habs trade Erik Cole to Dallas for Michael Ryder and a 3rd rounder.

The Montreal Canadiens traded Erik Cole to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Michael Ryder and a third-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft Tuesday.

Ryder, drafted 218th overall by the Canadiens in the 1998 NHL Draft, has six goals and 14 points in 19 games this season.

In his four years with the Canadiens, Ryder had 99 goals, 108 assists for 207 points. In his five seasons since leaving the Canadiens, Ryder has 104 goals, 99 assists for 203 points. Ryder is the NHL’s all-time leader for points by a Newfoundland-born player with 410.

Ryder, who was signed by Dallas as a free agent on July 1, 2011, has a cap hit of $3.5 million and becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Cole has just three goals and three assists in 19 games this season after registering 35 goals and 61 points in 82 games last season with the Canadiens. Cole has a cap hit of $4.5 million with another two full seasons remaining on his contract after this campaign.

"Erik Cole is a top-six, power forward who skates well, adds size, and is under contract for the next two years," Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said in a press release. "We thank Michael Ryder for his contributions and look forward to what Erik will bring to our group."

In 721 career NHL games the Oswego, N.Y., native has 222 goals and 457 points.

I don't mind the deal. Like getting a good pick and a sniper as was alluded too. Replace Cole with Ryder will certainly lessen the speed in our lineup, and I'm hopeful we don't use Ryder on the shootout as we have lots of guys who can miss the net already... but all that aside, Ryder is productive, a big body, and a decent cap number who's a free agent at seasons end. Overal, a nice pickup for this season, toss in a good pick. I can sign off on this deal.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by spykelee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:Little late to the BBQ but I like PK deal.
He is basically making Prust money and is still an RFA at the end of the deal.

On the matter of contracts;
Pac's deal is looking solid!

I'm shocked at how well Patches has played. I thought he was okay but certainly not worth that contract, but he's proven me wrong. He's evolved into a nice power forward with decent speed and hands. Tough to argue with what he brings to the lineup. Him and Ryder should make for an interesting line should they be matched up together.

Return to Montreal Canadiens