OT: PK Subban racism in Canada/hockey world

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

OT: PK Subban racism in Canada/hockey world 

Post#1 » by GED Education » Fri May 2, 2014 7:53 pm

As a man of colour who grew up with hockey, I am proud of how PK is handling this. He's a class guy and a Raptors fan FYI.....shut them haters up by kicking ass on the ice.
Stupid Quote Hall of Fame:

Hue Durant wrote:demar has no use on this team

James has come back to toronto completely elite.
Crazomali
RealGM
And1: 38,984

Re: OT: PK Subban racism in Canada/hockey world 

Post#2 » by Crazomali » Fri May 2, 2014 7:55 pm

Subban keep doing your thang, mad respect
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#3 » by basketball420 » Fri May 2, 2014 7:55 pm

More racism in Boston and the U.S but agree with your point
Helloooo
olcoil
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by olcoil » Fri May 2, 2014 8:06 pm

As a man of colour who is not black, I have to say it: HOCKEY SUCKS. It's like golf on skates and just a bit more exciting than tennis. I've worked in construction firms where your hockey knowledge make-or-breaks you, it's like no other sport exists for these guys. With such narrow-mindedness, it's easy to see some neckbeards hiding behind a keyboard spewing racist tweets after their team - their LIFE - lost a game. LOL.
emphatikdunker
Banned User
And1: 1,569

Post#5 » by emphatikdunker » Fri May 2, 2014 8:23 pm

pk **** subban. my man.
DatTorontoKID
Junior
And1: 122

Post#6 » by DatTorontoKID » Fri May 2, 2014 8:29 pm

I got nothing for love for him, his pops was my middle school principal and always spoke highly of his son (wasn't in the league then), and told us, just like his son, we can do whatever we dream of.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#7 » by Mattd97 » Fri May 2, 2014 8:30 pm

olcoil wrote:As a man of colour who is not black, I have to say it: HOCKEY SUCKS. It's like golf on skates and just a bit more exciting than tennis. I've worked in construction firms where your hockey knowledge make-or-breaks you, it's like no other sport exists for these guys. With such narrow-mindedness, it's easy to see some neckbeards hiding behind a keyboard spewing racist tweets after their team - their LIFE - lost a game. LOL.

youre batting 1 for 1 in incredibly stupid posts, congrats
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
6th man
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#8 » by 6th man » Fri May 2, 2014 8:42 pm

basketball420 wrote:More racism in Boston and the U.S but agree with your point

I don't know that I agree with your point, I don't think there is more racism in US than in Canada as there are cultural differences regarding racism. Americans express their racist views openly as opposed to Canadian who may In fact share the same views but they hide behind their need to be looked at as the better more accepting society .
Before insulting someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. So when you do insult them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 26,894

Post#9 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 2, 2014 8:59 pm

Bruins have a half black player on the roster and Subbans little brother in their system. I wonder if these idiots realize that
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
stealthmode
Starter
And1: 2,596

Post#10 » by stealthmode » Fri May 2, 2014 9:14 pm

no idea who subban is but no place in sports for this
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#11 » by basketball420 » Fri May 2, 2014 9:27 pm

Completely disagree...we don''t have the history of established and entrenched racism..it exists but in no way is it as rampant as it is in the U.S
Helloooo
DADDDDY
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#12 » by DADDDDY » Fri May 2, 2014 9:37 pm

Why is there no link, and why is this is the raptors forum?

On the other hand, PK is a top 3 D in the NHL and has handled himself like a gentleman throughout all of this.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,025

Post#13 » by C Court » Fri May 2, 2014 9:40 pm

basketball420 wrote:Completely disagree...we don''t have the history of established and entrenched racism..it exists but in no way is it as rampant as it is in the U.S

Agree 100%. USA is completely different than Canada (in a bad way).

Many high profile athletes going back to Jackie Robinson and Muhammed Ali has said they love Canada because they feel they are treated as equals in a way they don't feel in America.

I've met PK and he is the most likeable, friendly pro athlete I have ever met. Great guy!
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#14 » by Blast Tyrant » Fri May 2, 2014 9:48 pm

basketball420 wrote:Completely disagree...we don''t have the history of established and entrenched racism..it exists but in no way is it as rampant as it is in the U.S

I'm not going to say it's as bad as the US, but go to the Canadian prairies and you'll get a small taste of real red neck mentality. There are some genuinely bad racists once you leave the GTA.
C Court
RealGM

Post#15 » by C Court » Sat May 3, 2014 2:13 am

Led Zeppelin wrote:

I'm not going to say it's as bad as the US, but go to the Canadian prairies and you'll get a small taste of real red neck mentality. There are some genuinely bad racists once you leave the GTA.

I grew up on the prairies and I don't know what you're talking about.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#16 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat May 3, 2014 3:15 am

Centre Court wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:

As did I and I have met MANY racists who aren't scared to say it. I've heard guys call the NBA a "zoo." The hatred towards natives is right out in the open. I've heard people berate Tiger Woods and call him things I wouldn't repeat on RealGM. I've heard people say pretty disgusting things about Iginla, Kane, Byfuglien and Subban as well. I've even heard people at Bomber games yell racial slurs at Anthony Calvillo.

I'm assuming based on your Jets logo that you're from Winnipeg too. I don't know when you lived there or where in the city you're from, but I certainly heard a tonne of disturbing things growing up there. I just moved to Ontario this year and have immediately noticed an immense difference in not only the tolerance of other races, but outright multi-culturalism and the real Canadian ideal of a "melting pot." Winnipeg is essentially segregated now with neighbourhoods that are primarily native, or Filipino.
C Court
RealGM

Post#17 » by C Court » Sat May 3, 2014 4:39 am

Led Zeppelin wrote:
Centre Court wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:I'm not going to say it's as bad as the US, but go to the Canadian prairies and you'll get a small taste of real red neck mentality. There are some genuinely bad racists once you leave the GTA.

As did I and I have met MANY racists who aren't scared to say it. I've heard guys call the NBA a "zoo." The hatred towards natives is right out in the open. I've heard people berate Tiger Woods and call him things I wouldn't repeat on RealGM. I've heard people say pretty disgusting things about Iginla, Kane, Byfuglien and Subban as well. I've even heard people at Bomber games yell racial slurs at Anthony Calvillo.

I'm assuming based on your Jets logo that you're from Winnipeg too. I don't know when you lived there or where in the city you're from, but I certainly heard a tonne of disturbing things growing up there. I just moved to Ontario this year and have immediately noticed an immense difference in not only the tolerance of other races, but outright multi-culturalism and the real Canadian ideal of a "melting pot." Winnipeg is essentially segregated now with neighbourhoods that are primarily native, or Filipino.

There are always idiots out there. But the overwhelming population in Western Canada are not racists. And they are nowhere near Americans. We all have our anecdotal stories, both positive and negative. So I can tell you that my 80 yr old white uncle from Selkirk asked me why "Americans " hate a great man like President Obama. Hardly sounds like a racist to me.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#18 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat May 3, 2014 2:28 pm

Centre Court wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:
Centre Court wrote:

There are always idiots out there. But the overwhelming population in Western Canada are not racists. And they are nowhere near Americans. We all have our anecdotal stories, both positive and negative. So I can tell you that my 80 yr old white uncle from Selkirk asked me why "Americans " hate a great man like President Obama. Hardly sounds like a racist to me.

Oh I certainly agree. Like I said in my first post: it's not nearly as bad as the US. I have definitely noticed much less of the redneck racist mentality since moving out here, though I haven't been in Ontario as long. It's a much smaller sample size. (to use a sports term)

Good old Selkirk. I always liked the golf course there. I always liked that little town for some reason. My grandparents used to live just south of it in St. Andrews municipality.
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#19 » by curryking3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Blast Tyrant wrote:
Centre Court wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:I'm not going to say it's as bad as the US, but go to the Canadian prairies and you'll get a small taste of real red neck mentality. There are some genuinely bad racists once you leave the GTA.

Alberta is our Texas of Canada.

The most racist things I have heard in Canada usually come from Alberta.

I rarely hear of anything too notable for racism anywhere else in Canada.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#20 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 am

GED Education wrote:As a man of colour who grew up with hockey, I am proud of how PK is handling this. He's a class guy and a Raptors fan FYI.....shut them haters up by kicking ass on the ice.

this is good
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "

Return to Montreal Canadiens