Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: Dunks After Dark 

Post#161 » by The J Rocka » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 am

Calinks wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:I thought there was going to be a dunk contest like they advertised for weeks? Glad I didn't go all the way down to Mankato.

WEll they did have that 2 minute dunk off but yea, people will be let down if they thought it was going to be some epic dunk contest. This is Destiny all over again. The power of marketing.

I didn't expect 'epic' but a more of a fun laid back version of the actual dunk contest format between LaVine, Wiggins, and GR3.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#162 » by Saltine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 am

Bud is healthy, :)
It was very nice to see him and Kmart nailing all those 3's
Zach and this Wiggins kid looked awesome, so did Thaddeus.
That was way funner then I thought it would be.
They need a real tv producer next time, not the drunk kid and his shoddy camera guys, other than that, nice work :)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,885

Post#163 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 am

Saltine wrote:They need a real tv producer next time, not the drunk kid and his shoddy camera guys, other than that, nice work :)

As a former TV guy in college, I get "why" they were doing some of the shots they were showing.

Still, as someone who was only there to see live action, it was incredibly frustrating.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,317

Post#164 » by Calinks » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 am

Again major props to Flip, Milt, and whoever came up with this. Got people excited, got people talking. We are all over twitter. Dunksafterdark number 2 trend in the US. Zach LaVine number 7 Wiggins number 10. That's big time. PR homerun.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,885

Post#165 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:04 am

Calinks wrote:Again major props to Flip, Milt, and whoever came up with this. Got people excited, got people talking. We are all over twitter. Dunksafterdark number 2 trend in the US. Zach LaVine number 7 Wiggins number 10. That's big time. PR homerun.

Might have to hold it at Target Center next year!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#166 » by Saltine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:08 am

Klomp wrote:
Saltine wrote:They need a real tv producer next time, not the drunk kid and his shoddy camera guys, other than that, nice work :)

As a former TV guy in college, I get "why" they were doing some of the shots they were showing.

Still, as someone who was only there to see live action, it was incredibly frustrating.

It was hard to comprehend. It's well understood that when the ball is in play you see that on the screen, running a voice over is standard procedure, or the little PiP, which they only used occasionally... I expect a intelligent 13 year to do a better job.

It was obvious the guy in charge didn't know anything about the Wolves, he kept cutting away from the action when Rubio was playing with Wiggins, then we'd hear cheers for things we didn't see, then he'd cut back to Mo, or JJ, on offense, then cut away when Ricky got the ball... idiot.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#167 » by ace625214 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 am

The showing ran past time and my DVR recording cuts off before LaVine's interview and the dunk off. What do you think the odds are of them editing out all the garbage at the beginning and showing those on the replay tomorrow?
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#168 » by MinneOOPalis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 am

I LOVE Lavine. He has that youthful energy that we need. Also, Bennett sucks dick.
Saltine
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by Saltine » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am

it went until about 1:26am. almost 2 hours...
They Wolves didn't have any commercials on their feed, should be easy for them to toss online.
These may help :)
Zach
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_t ... -intv.nba/
Dunks
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_t ... -dark.nba/
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#170 » by Feilong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:45 am

Martin, Lavine and Wiggins all looked good.
Lavine really nice stroke.
Nice event. Now even more excited for the season.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#171 » by Basti » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am

Saltine wrote:it went until about 1:26am. almost 2 hours...
They Wolves didn't have any commercials on their feed, should be easy for them to toss online.
Zach
Dunks

I hope they'll do that.

Meanwhile, thanks for posting these links. Must have been pretty to cool to watch live.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#172 » by Thespianoid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 am

Klomp wrote:

Could I ask you to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale for showing minute long segments of Flip Saunders just sitting in the crowd, or Sam Mitchell sitting on the bench. Especially while the game was going on. Or why they'd sometimes switch to the full table cam for the interviews instead of going for full time PiP, which was equally as effective. Or why there were untimely cuts to baseline cams, or odd camera angles that did nothing for the viewer and were simply disorienting.

Because to me, those decisions were unacceptable and just made the coverage look amateur and unfocused. I doubt anyone is watching to see those things.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#173 » by Minnesota Power » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 am

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:I thought there was going to be a dunk contest like they advertised for weeks? Glad I didn't go all the way down to Mankato.

WEll they did have that 2 minute dunk off but yea, people will be let down if they thought it was going to be some epic dunk contest. This is Destiny all over again. The power of marketing.

This can only lead to the team's eventual departure in 2032.

Nope them doing this event shows that Glen cares about the team and the fanbase. Putting it in Mankato at midnight of all times and seeing the place packed proves theres support for the team, not to mention people were lining up for hours beforehand. Maybe Glen wanted to prove a point by putting this in some whack college town at a bad time to prove a point, and it looks like it worked. Not to mention we were on NBA tv with a little box in the channel saying Dunks after Dark would be on several hours prior to midnight, and were now a trendsetter. Every NBA team is going to be doing midnight scrimmages now in a few years. And twitter trending don't hurt.

Although our attendance needs to improve during the regular season and I still can't walk into a Walmart and Target and find Twolves gear by the Vikings, Wild, and Twins stuff. And theres a lot of other stuff they need to work on but the Target Center renovation, new practice facility, and this, and maybe a potential all star game in the future after our arena is renovated, it's a good sign. But lets not get too cocky.
I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#174 » by jinxed » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 am

AQuintus wrote:
Calinks wrote:Rubio laying down the law on the rooks. "Respect the process."

For a guy who only speaks English as a second language, Ricky is much better at interviews than Martin or Shabazz.

3rd language. 1. Catalan 2. Spanish 3. English

But I only caught the tail end of the interview .. What did he say about shooting , I jumped in when he said elbow and three point shots.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,711

Post#175 » by thinktank » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:25 am

That's all he really said. Thomas asked him what shots he was working on and he said shots off the PnR, specifically the elbows. And he's also working on threes. Before that I think he said he knows he needs to get better. He also said respect the process about shooting, I think. So maybe he'll finally MAKE IT A PRIORITY.

Sam Cassell was similarly sized and had similar athleticism as Rubio, and he made the elbows and three pointers integral parts of his game.

If there was one player I would suggest Rubio model his midrange and three point game after, it would be Sam Cassell.
"a poor addition to the board"
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#176 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:Also, Bennett sucks dick.

Could you elaborate on that? I wasn't able to watch this thing but I've been rooting for Bennett. Was he really that bad?

Also, funny how years ago you couldn't talk about Rudy Gay without the language filter cutting his name in half, but apparently "dick" is fine
Markkbu
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#177 » by Markkbu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Saltine wrote:it went until about 1:26am. almost 2 hours...
Zach
Dunks

Wow, Isiah is annoying as all get up.
darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

Post#178 » by darbstar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm

shangrila wrote:
Sakuragi_ wrote:Also, Bennett sucks dick.

Could you elaborate on that? I wasn't able to watch this thing but I've been rooting for Bennett. Was he really that bad?

This scrimmage was not suitable for the big men, especially not Bennett. It was basically a track meet up and down the court dominated by the guards and wings. None of the big men had any real chance.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#179 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:07 pm

thinktank wrote:That's all he really said. Thomas asked him what shots he was working on and he said shots off the PnR, specifically the elbows. And he's also working on threes. Before that I think he said he knows he needs to get better. He also said respect the process about shooting, I think. So maybe he'll finally MAKE IT A PRIORITY.

Sam Cassell was similarly sized and had similar athleticism as Rubio, and he made the elbows and three pointers integral parts of his game.

If there was one player I would suggest Rubio model his midrange and three point game after, it would be Sam Cassell.

If Rubio could shoot the mid-range J like Cassell he would be unstoppable. Cassell was amazing from mid-range, especially his all-star season with us.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,711

Post#180 » by thinktank » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:46 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
thinktank wrote:If there was one player I would suggest Rubio model his midrange and three point game after, it would be Sam Cassell.

If Rubio could shoot the mid-range J like Cassell he would be unstoppable. Cassell was amazing from mid-range, especially his all-star season with us.

Just a semblance of Cassell's shooting game would be great. Even just Cassell's patience on the floor. He would get to the middle of the floor and have the PG defender on his back and it would drive the entire defense nuts.
"a poor addition to the board"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves