POR: Rudy Fernandez + #22 for #16?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Re: POR: Rudy Fernandez + #22 for #16? 

Post#21 » by sisibilio » Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 pm

mefromthefuture wrote:
dunkonu21 wrote:I'm so confused with this talk about improving our post players with Cousins because he is an improvement on Al or Love. But improving Ellington for Rudy doesn't apply? Doesn't seem very consistent. I'm just asking when it applies or when it doesn't, what is the philosophy you are working on?

But on a playoff team Rudy sat on the bench barely getting mins and complained a lot so in no way should a team give up two draft picks for him.

So playing 25 mpg in his rookie season and 23 mpg in his 2nd one having an all-star playing in his natural position is barely get minutes? :roll:
How many second rounders selected every year get that amount of minutes even in the most crappy teams in the league? maybe 1%?

BTW in the first proposal you don't give up any pick just trade down 6 spots.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#22 » by Esohny » Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 pm

sisibilio wrote:
mefromthefuture wrote:
dunkonu21 wrote:I'm so confused with this talk about improving our post players with Cousins because he is an improvement on Al or Love. But improving Ellington for Rudy doesn't apply? Doesn't seem very consistent. I'm just asking when it applies or when it doesn't, what is the philosophy you are working on?

But on a playoff team Rudy sat on the bench barely getting mins and complained a lot so in no way should a team give up two draft picks for him.

So playing 25 mpg in his rookie season and 23 mpg in his 2nd one having an all-star playing in his natural position is barely get minutes? :roll:
How many second rounders selected every year get that amount of minutes even in the most crappy teams in the league? maybe 1%?

BTW in the first proposal you don't give up any pick just trade down 6 spots.

That's a decent drop in talent. Plus, even if you ignore his terrible season, you have to take into account that he wants out of Portland...that lowers his trade value.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#23 » by sisibilio » Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 am

Esohny wrote:That's a decent drop in talent. Plus, even if you ignore his terrible season, you have to take into account that he wants out of Portland...that lowers his trade value.

I'm not ignoring his season. That and his bad relation with McMillan is the reason this trade is possible.
You guys are the ones ignoring the previous 6-7 years of pro ball he's played, what he has done in Joventut, the spanish NT and even in Portland last season.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#24 » by farzi » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am

He's coming off of a bad season because he never properly recovered from the Ariza foul. He has now. He's not a bad player, he's just in a terrible situation where he plays behind an allstar SG and has a coach that just makes him stand around at the 3 point line and do nothing. If you look at his rookie year when they let him run off 3's he was fantastic, setting rookie record for 3pt made while shooting 40%.

If you don't want 16 for Rudy / 22 that's fine, but Portland won't take just a 2nd rounder for him, that's absurd.

Also, he's not a flight risk. That was horrible journalism and real gm took it and ran with it. Spanish tabloids manufactured the story. Both Rudy and KP were asked straight up, and both plainly said no, it wasn't an option and wasn't going to happen.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Knuckleball3
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Knuckleball3 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:24 am

I would probably swap #23 for Rudy, reluctantly though. He'd be a decent veteran sharp shooter for the team when Rubio comes over (we'll need some veterans, right?). Plus, given Darko's positive experience, Rudy may have a similar feeling to express personally to Rubio. That said, his performance last year makes a first rounder seem high; and it's two less years on his rookie deal. He has apparently played well off Rubio for the Spanish team, so that's a plus. How would he look in the triangle if he's our best option at the 2, and how's his defense?

If Favors falls to us at #4 (unlikely) and George at #16, I think I'd be more inclined to swap the #23 straight up.
Twolves98
Junior

Post#26 » by Twolves98 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:49 am

What about Pekovic for Rudy... Two potentially good players not proven
APkrawczynski Jon Krawczynski
Durant just said Darko is one of best centers in the league. For once, I'm not being sarcastic in a tweet. #Twolves
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#27 » by dunkonu21 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 am

Pek has more value than moving down 6 spots in the late first round, the OP's deal is most certainly better.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#28 » by shangrila » Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 am

Totally different situations. When talking about Cousins you're talking about improving the starting line up and possibly changing the entire team for the better. But you don't give up a ton of value to upgrade a 20mpg backup, especially when you've already got the right guy for the job. That and Rudy will need to get paid a lot sooner then Ellington or the 16 and I think the team wouldn't have had enough with negotiating around European teams.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#29 » by jade_hippo » Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 am

I don't see Rudy going anywhere till after the draft when teams know more what they'll be putting on the court. Disgruntled Euro player is a bad situation to be in for value because they have the appearance of having more options if a team can't work something out with them, they can always return home.
IAmTheTruth
Junior

Post#30 » by IAmTheTruth » Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 am

It's almost a lock that one of Babbitt, George, Henry, or Anderson will be there at 16. They will not be there at 22. I think all will be better than Rudy. Pass.
Don't ban me
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#31 » by jade_hippo » Thu May 27, 2010 8:41 am

IAmTheTruth wrote:It's almost a lock that one of Babbitt, George, Henry, or Anderson will be there at 16. They will not be there at 22. I think all will be better than Rudy. Pass.

add in free agents Korver, Mike Miller, Morrow (restricted?) and Redick (restricted) and you have a few options for dead-eye shooters where you really don't have to give anything up to get them.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#32 » by C.lupus » Thu May 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I'd probably do Rudy for #23.
PHTown
Sophomore

Post#33 » by PHTown » Thu May 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Portland is not going to move Rudy for this as long as KP is there. If MN could get him on the cheap they would be dumb not to. Forgetting on the court, they need butts in the seats and Rudy brings the ladies out. He is super cheap for what he brings in revenue.
TrentTuckerForever
Starter
And1: 2

Post#34 » by TrentTuckerForever » Thu May 27, 2010 4:29 pm

I would do it. I think Rudy can show more in a read-react system like the triangle than he has in Portland (think Gasol when he went to the Lakers.) He also fits the "young veteran" category that this team sorely lacks. If he helps with Rubio, bonus, but he's currently better than the backup wings the Wolves have, as Krapinsky and dunk said.
Klomp wrote:Didn't Brad Miller back up Vlade Divac in SAC too?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#35 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm

TrentTuckerForever wrote:I would do it. I think Rudy can show more in a read-react system like the triangle than he has in Portland (think Gasol when he went to the Lakers.) He also fits the "young veteran" category that this team sorely lacks. If he helps with Rubio, bonus, but he's currently better than the backup wings the Wolves have, as Krapinsky and dunk said.

he's just a great fit for Minnesota, he'd be far and away our best SG regardless of Rubio. I'd love to start the guy
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#36 » by Esohny » Thu May 27, 2010 4:43 pm

PHTown wrote:Portland is not going to move Rudy for this as long as KP is there. If MN could get him on the cheap they would be dumb not to. Forgetting on the court, they need butts in the seats and Rudy brings the ladies out. He is super cheap for what he brings in revenue.

Ladies love Rudy? That surprises me.

Even if that's true, I don't know if that's worthwhile criteria for getting a player. I've heard that Sasha Vujacic and Luke Walton are very popular with the ladies, and I'd sooner eat glass shards than have them on my team. :wink:
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
El_Lobo_3
Junior

Post#37 » by El_Lobo_3 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I like rudy but not for the 16th. Give them the 23rd and a second and let them deal the 22 and 23 to scoot up if they want...the idea of rudy and possibly paul george would be way better than just rudy.
"I need some Spanish. How do I say, Ricky please come to Minnesota, play PG for us PLEASE? AND has anyone ever told you that you sound like the lucky charms guy? Imagine his assists are the cereal and we all want his lucky charms" -Kevin Love
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#38 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu May 27, 2010 4:56 pm

El_Lobo_3 wrote:I like rudy but not for the 16th. Give them the 23rd and a second and let them deal the 22 and 23 to scoot up if they want...the idea of rudy and possibly paul george would be way better than just rudy.

same here, I wouldn't deal the 16th. I assume Rudy's bad play last year is due to unhappiness and instability w/ his role and that the Rudy of his first season is the true Rudy Fernandez, but I don't assume it enough to give full value.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#39 » by dunkonu21 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm

IAmTheTruth wrote:It's almost a lock that one of Babbitt, George, Henry, or Anderson will be there at 16.

That is a very good point...It's pretty likely we could trade 23+22 to move up and take our pick of the four (maybe not Henry, I bet he goes pretty early.)

So we could have:
Rubio/Flynn/Sess
Brewery/Rudy
Wesley/George
Al/Love
Darko/Pek
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#40 » by funkatron101 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm

PHTown wrote:Portland is not going to move Rudy for this as long as KP is there. If MN could get him on the cheap they would be dumb not to. Forgetting on the court, they need butts in the seats and Rudy brings the ladies out. He is super cheap for what he brings in revenue.

Ramon Sessions brings the ladies out...At least one of them. :lol:

*whiny voice* "Go RAMMMONNNNNNN!"
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves