The Newest Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#1021 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 am

cpfsf wrote:Image

ladies and gentlemen, i give you the cause of your future procrastination.

correction: current cause. Just because the system isn't out and the games aren't developed doesn't mean I can't waste time yet.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#1022 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:52 am

Sony CEO taking shots at Xbox, saying they won't do any of the digital rights bull **** that Xbox has lined up. You buy a game, its yours. Don't have to authenticate your games all the time and all that garbage. Between this and reports that PSN will still be free and that Sony is going to undercut Xbox on the launch price, I'm out of excuses. The Xbox to PS transition is commencing.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
And1: 403

Post#1023 » by Wolves_Nation » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Sony CEO taking shots at Xbox, saying they won't do any of the digital rights bull **** that Xbox has lined up. You buy a game, its yours. Don't have to authenticate your games all the time and all that garbage. Between this and reports that PSN will still be free and that Sony is going to undercut Xbox on the launch price, I'm out of excuses. The Xbox to PS transition is commencing.

I don't think we fully know what XBox means by what they've been saying. I think it's being overblown by the media and PS.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#1024 » by cpfsf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:54 am

if it's true that playstation has a mandatory subscription model (like xbox live), i'm done with consoles. pc gaming it is.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1025 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:27 am

If you have never had playstation plus it is easily the best 50 bucks for the year long subscription I have spent for the system. EASILY. Free games galore.

I have gotten discounts on the Walking Dead episodic game, Infamous 1&2 free, Sleeping dogs plus all dlc free, Spec Ops the line free, Vanquish free, LBP free, and Darksiders all free with lots of other games I didn't download. This month alone Uncharted 3, Saints Row the Third, and Dues Ex are all being added as free to download for PS+ subscribers. At least Sony makes it worth your money for the subscription.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#1026 » by cpfsf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 am

i guess i don't like subscriptions b/c i'm a very casual gamer. i haven't turned on my ps3 in a few weeks, and i've gone several months without turning it on. i don't even drink dew or eat doritos.

i find everyone's reaction to the ps4/xboxone much more interesting than actually learning about the specs itself (which i'm sure is pretty much the same thing despite what everyone will nitpick).

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1027 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 am

I would say the PS+ is really beneficial to the casual gamer. If you are busy with school, work, or family it's easy to not have time for games. So 50 bucks for a year long subscription to play online, automatic game updates set up whenever you want them so you don't have to wait for updates when you really want to play. Then add in the free games. To get free games the quality as they offer is awesome.

I'm perfectly fine paying for online subscriptions IF they make it worth my while. Apparently Drive Club is free at launch for PS+ subscribers.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#1028 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 am

What an unmitigated disaster for Microsoft. I truly can't believe they came out with a system with all those restrictions, at that price, and with a camera that collects personal data from you in this current anti-NSA climate. They are now at such a disadvantage I honestly do not see them continuing with this current policy. They will have to make adjustments because there is no reason why any halfway serious gamer will go with a X-1 over the PS4.

Since I have been following console launches closely since the mid 90's I have never seen such a blunder from a major player. HUGE HUGE mistakes have been made. The stuff people lose jobs over. When it comes to next gen I have no real choice but to go PS4 if I want a console.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1029 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 am

PS4 literally just trolled the crap out of Microsoft during that presentation. It is really interesting to see the roll reversal from the beginning of last gen.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#1030 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoZEezlLmg[/youtube]

This Drive Club game looks amazing.

Also, does anybody know if PS4/Xbox One will be released in time (early September) for GTA V? I'd hate to pay $60 on a game for a counsel that will soon be "obsolete" and then purchase the game again. On the other hand, I don't think I could be patient enough to wait for it on the new counsel. I didn't like that GTA SA was released in fall of 2004 (PS2/Xbox) when the Xbox 360 was released a year later with no port option.
MinotauroBigNog
Junior
And1: 112

Post#1031 » by MinotauroBigNog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 am

J Rocka, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure GTA V isn't coming out on the Ps4/Xbox one. Looks like it's only on the current gen consoles. Months after the new consoles come out it could come out for em though, but there has been no mention of it.

Also drive club is gonna be free on the ps4 if you have play station plus.
Pride Never Die
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1032 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 am

MinotauroBigNog wrote:J Rocka, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure GTA V isn't coming out on the Ps4/Xbox one. Looks like it's only on the current gen consoles. Months after the new consoles come out it could come out for em though, but there has been no mention of it.

Meh, sounds about right. Oh well.

I definitely fit Mattya's description on the casual gamer for PS+. I might have to look into that option.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1033 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:52 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwdHWkZXQ4[/youtube]
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1034 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 am

The new systems hit around November. Currently there are no plans for GTA V on next gen consoles. As for the PS+ thing, perhaps consider monthly or 3 month memberships. I heard monthly may be about 5 bucks. At 50-60 bucks a year (for xbox I usually wind up paying about 35 bucks because of the many deals) I never felt ripped off by Xbox live or PS+. That's basically the price of one game a year. PS+ give you many free games to download every month and I really do like the Xbox live interface/ecosystem.

I am def much more geared towards single player though and if you don't go online to play games online you shouldn't have to worry about paying.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1035 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 am

The J Rocka wrote:
MinotauroBigNog wrote:J Rocka, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure GTA V isn't coming out on the Ps4/Xbox one. Looks like it's only on the current gen consoles. Months after the new consoles come out it could come out for em though, but there has been no mention of it.

Meh, sounds about right. Oh well.

I definitely fit Mattya's description on the casual gamer for PS+. I might have to look into that option.

I think the whole thing with Gaikai is that it allows for backwards compatibility. I'm not sure so don't quote me on that. It would be a major failure if they can't allow you to play your PS3 games somehow on your PS4
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1036 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 am

If you play games very casually I wouldn't even worry about upgrading. Xbox 360 and especially PS3 will probably be around, going pretty strong for at least 2-3 years. The PS2 had a lot of life several years after the PS3 launched. Only reason Xbox dies off so fast was because Microsoft dropped it and pushed all their resources to the 360. Neither company is doing that this time. Both the 360 and PS3 will have many good games to come.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
And1: 403

Post#1037 » by Wolves_Nation » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

Calinks wrote:If you play games very casually I wouldn't even worry about upgrading. Xbox 360 and especially PS3 will probably be around, going pretty strong for at least 2-3 years. The PS2 had a lot of life several years after the PS3 launched. Only reason Xbox dies off so fast was because Microsoft dropped it and pushed all their resources to the 360. Neither company is doing that this time. Both the 360 and PS3 will have many good games to come.

That's not completely true. Sure, they still work on games for those systems, but the second the Nest-Gen consoles come out, those games are on the back burner. They will come out will less features as the next gen systems, leaving you wanting a lot more. They may not drop the consoles, but after a year, those games won't be the same.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#1038 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:07 pm

cpfsf wrote:if it's true that playstation has a mandatory subscription model (like xbox live), i'm done with consoles. pc gaming it is.

I never had a PS3; the splendors of free online gaming wasn't something I experienced, so I could understand being irritated about this for those that recall those splendors.

I prefer the power PC gaming - the versatility to mod is unmatched and the memory contrast is never so stark until you try to fumble around in an RTS on a console, or play a game like Civilization where you have these giant world maps with countless cities on the PC, then on the 360 you're trying to cram a world into a map the size of Delaware. BUT: a new console is a cheaper than a high end video card alone, and I can slide a console next to my big TV and play on there while hooking up my multi-component, tangled cord PC to my TV is a huge production. I don't play enough to devote the resources of time, effort, and money into my PC
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,920

Post#1039 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Calinks wrote:If you play games very casually I wouldn't even worry about upgrading. Xbox 360 and especially PS3 will probably be around, going pretty strong for at least 2-3 years. The PS2 had a lot of life several years after the PS3 launched. Only reason Xbox dies off so fast was because Microsoft dropped it and pushed all their resources to the 360. Neither company is doing that this time. Both the 360 and PS3 will have many good games to come.

Yup, I think this is what my situation will be. I never was an intense gamer, and I'm playing less than I ever have before.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#1040 » by TMo519 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 pm

I probably wasn't getting the PS4 until next year, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the 2K14 trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eZWwCuTZ8[/youtube]

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves