The Newest Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,100

Re: The Newest Video Game Thread 

Post#1341 » by Calinks » Tue Sep 9, 2014 6:21 pm

So Destiny came out today. It's one of the first next gen games to get a lot of hype. People are going gaga over it and have been counting down the days. I played some of the beta on PS3 and I must say, I think the hype has carried a lot of people away. I still think its a fine game but not a game I'm really interested in. In basic terms it feels like Borderlands but shallower in many aspects. I think a lot of people will be disappointed in the next few days.

A year in and I still haven't seen a game that really screams "I'm something new you wouldn't see on the 360/PS3!" Everything that has come out looks like lesser versions of games we have already played and I can't make the jump until I see something that looks like its worth it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,033

Post#1342 » by shangrila » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:00 am

Calinks wrote:So Destiny came out today. It's one of the first next gen games to get a lot of hype. People are going gaga over it and have been counting down the days. I played some of the beta on PS3 and I must say, I think the hype has carried a lot of people away. I still think its a fine game but not a game I'm really interested in. In basic terms it feels like Borderlands but shallower in many aspects. I think a lot of people will be disappointed in the next few days.

The end product has been a lot better than the beta. I can't nail down specifically what it is, but it all just feels smoother.

I agree that it got overhyped, but I think that was because Activision marketed the crap out of it and there's been literally nothing great out on the One/PS4 for months now so the media was starving for something to write about.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I'm enjoying it. But it doesn't compare to Reach, for example. Not that I expected a masterpiece on the first title in a new franchise, but still.

A year in and I still haven't seen a game that really screams "I'm something new you wouldn't see on the 360/PS3!" Everything that has come out looks like lesser versions of games we have already played and I can't make the jump until I see something that looks like its worth it.

Soon, my friend. AC5 looks great, as does DA3. A lot of stuff coming out in the next few months looks like they're starting to understand the new machines better.

As far as what's already out, I kind of agree. There really haven't been any killer games yet, especially on the One (the PS4 at least has Infamous, but that's only 1 title). However there's examples of next gen only stuff out now, like the insane number of zombies in Dead Rising 3 or Ryse's amazingly beautiful visuals.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1343 » by Calinks » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 am

Yea I almost grabbed a X1 this week. I wanted the PS4 but Microsoft store had this promotion 5 months back that I absolutely took advantage of and got like 300+ dollars in credit for. I have just been sitting back waiting for a great deal or game to come out before I made my move.

This week you could get a X1, with a free game of your choice. Now on top of that there is this Madden bundle AND Microsoft store was giving away a 50 dollar gift card with the purchase.

So basically I could have saved an additional $170 on top of my $300 credit.

Pretty good deal. I called the store and they were out of Madden bundles and I am still of the fence so I passed hooping for another deal in the future.

I was forced to look at the game closer though and I realized there are about 6 games I'd like to play this year.

Dead Rising 3
Dragon Age
Madden 25
Forza Horizon 2
NBA 2K15
WWE 2K15

None of them are very bold or new but if NBA is good I'd enjoy it. I like WWE games for one mode only so if that mode is not in I will pass. Either way I finally have something I would play, still looking for that awesome new hit though.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1344 » by shangrila » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:56 am

Lords of the Fallen looks good as well, if you're into Dragon Age.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,649

Post#1345 » by Domejandro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Not going to lie, the only game I can really get excited about (especially because it is coming to last gen consoles for slow folks like myself) is Far Cry 4.

It just looks amazing, and frankly, Ubisoft craps out good games, so I expect this to be excellent. I really hope they add a few hidden caves with some interesting stuff.

http://gamingbolt.com/far-cry-4-intervi ... s-and-more

"In order to improve your equipment, you can still hunt animals and use their hides to craft pouches and belts. This time around though, you’ll be rewarded if you’re especially efficient and you use the proper weapon to kill an animal without damaging it too much. Also, every time you skin an animal, it gives you a piece of meat that you can use as bait to attract predators. It’s the perfect way to get rid of a few enemies without getting involved yourself!"
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#1346 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 am

I really liked Far Cry 2 for awhile, but the enemies kept re-spawning at all the check points ridiculously fast. I didn't get that feeling of accomplishment that you should get after killing 500 people and I stopped playing.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1347 » by shangrila » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:59 am

I finished Destiny, or the story anyway, yesterday and I have to say its a major disappointment.

In fact, now that I look back, anything that isn't tied into the actual game mechanics is subpar. The missions are rinse and repeat and have you travelling over the same areas again and again. Characters outside of the Ghost are almost non-existant, patrol missions are boring and some of the Strike missions just drag on FOREVER. Also, there's only 4 planets; Earth, the Moon, Venus and Mars. That's...insane. What happened to Jupiter's moons that were mentioned pre-launch? What about Mercury, which is apparently a giant alien machine now, or any of the other planets in the solar system?

I saw Gamespot gave it a 6 and while I wouldn't go that far, I'd probably give it a 7 or 7.5, their review is spot on with all the issues they mention. The game just flat out lacks content.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1348 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:16 am

shangrila wrote:I finished Destiny, or the story anyway, yesterday and I have to say its a major disappointment.

In fact, now that I look back, anything that isn't tied into the actual game mechanics is subpar. The missions are rinse and repeat and have you travelling over the same areas again and again. Characters outside of the Ghost are almost non-existant, patrol missions are boring and some of the Strike missions just drag on FOREVER. Also, there's only 4 planets; Earth, the Moon, Venus and Mars. That's...insane. What happened to Jupiter's moons that were mentioned pre-launch? What about Mercury, which is apparently a giant alien machine now, or any of the other planets in the solar system?

I saw Gamespot gave it a 6 and while I wouldn't go that far, I'd probably give it a 7 or 7.5, their review is spot on with all the issues they mention. The game just flat out lacks content.

Pretty much what I thought about the game after playing the beta and seeing some footage. I thought it was pretty weak then but when I heard people were still extremely excited about it I knew there would be a lot of disappointment.

I think what really screwed people was the early press. The initial trailers and articles gave the impression that people were in for a dynamic open world that you would share with other online. They used words like "adventure" and "exploration" and people thought. "Damn we are getting Halo with exploration like Skyrim or Mass Effect!" People though they would be visiting planets, and gallivanting around the galaxy with their buddies. "Things are gonna happen that we don't even plan and that's amazing." LOL

The real game is far below that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o[/youtube]
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1349 » by shangrila » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah, it just sucks because I'm a huge Halo fan and had a lot of faith that Bungie would be able to pull it off. I guess not, yet anyway.

It also makes me wonder what they've lost with the people that left Bungie to keep making Halo games with 343 Industries. I hope this was just a mis-step for them and not a sign they're heading down the Infinity Ward route.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1350 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am

I think their ambition was just a lot higher than their reach. They over shot this one, they will bounce back and there are a lot of people that still love the game so there is a chance it gets better as well.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#1351 » by Saltine » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 am

They knew it sucked;
User scores on Metacritic;
6.4 = PS4
4.3 = PS3
5.3 = XBone
4.5 = X360

which is why they embargoed press reviews before launch. Every time that happens the game isn't any good. Luckily for publishers, suckers abound, and marketing works... much of the top tier talent left long ago, or was fired;
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MartyTheElder/status/456303189998841856[/tweet]
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1352 » by shangrila » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am

Calinks wrote:I think their ambition was just a lot higher than their reach. They over shot this one, they will bounce back and there are a lot of people that still love the game so there is a chance it gets better as well.

Hopefully. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the game mechanics it's just the lack of content. If they release a GOTY edition next year with the DLC they've got planned, it'd probably be much better.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#1353 » by Mattya » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 am

I love Destiny.
MaxMN
Junior
And1: 95

Post#1354 » by MaxMN » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 pm

I have been playing NHL15 and Diablo III

Both are pretty good. I really like HUT so far, apparently the other game modes in NHL stink, but I haven't even tried them.

This is my first Diablo game ever and it is actually really enjoyable. I wish there was more interaction with other players though.
"Wiggins wasn't as good as our second best player Gay, and it's questionable if he even gets to that level. He isn't proven." -Kings2013 on 06/09/2015
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1355 » by Calinks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 pm

I have been playing Forza Horizon. Unlike so many other people I have never been fascinated with cars, they never held my interest and that has translated to me never really getting into racing games. FH though is really fun, I like experiencing all the different cars and I can totally understand why some people gush over them. Its fun to collect cars and customize them too. The races all seem fairly short as well which is a big deal to me, I cant stand long races because one mistake can ruin everything and I feel like I wasted my time. This is also why I like the replay feature a lot because a noob like me makes mistakes and I can erase them. IT actually has made me a better racer too.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#1356 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:12 am

I just ordered a PS4 after holding off for several months. Will get 2k15 when it comes out which should be fun considering 2k14 is the first one I haven't gotten since 2k8. Destiny doesn't seem like my kind of game, never been in to first person shooters for some reason.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#1357 » by Jukeness » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49 am

MaxMN wrote:
This is my first Diablo game ever and it is actually really enjoyable. I wish there was more interaction with other players though.

You should definitely play Diablo 2 with the expansion, it's a great game. The first Diablo has mixed reviews, but I like it even though it's a short game.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1358 » by King Malta » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:46 am

I actually like Destiny.

Maybe it's because I didn't buy into the hype that it was this groundbreaking game. I'm not normally a FPS/Mass Multiplayer kind of guy but I see myself getting a fair bit of fun out of it.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#1359 » by Saltine » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 am

Diablo 2 was great :)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,503

Post#1360 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTCFKaq30QM[/youtube]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves