Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Re: Wolves In The News 

Post#341 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:17 am

Zgoda trying to be cute

Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda
Hey tweeps, what do you think about this?: The Seattle Sounders soccer team is letting its fan vote whether to retain the team's GM or not.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#342 » by Saltine » Fri Oct 5, 2012 7:27 am

Nice article, with plenty of stats ;)
http://www.thenbageek.com/articles/you- ... the-wolves
Today I will continue my series on teams that will probably surprise many folks with a more upbeat story: The Timberwolves. I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people. And not because they will be greatly improved (everyone expects this), but because they are going to be a hell of a lot better than "improved"...

The suggestion that the Timberwolves' will be fighting for an eighth seed in the playoffs this year is, barring injury, frankly laughable. As I have written before, this team could win 57 games and if they don't win 50 it will be a massive disappointment. I can only think of a few reasons that the major media outlets don't see this:

Many people do not understand how terrible Michael Beasley was and might actually think that losing him somehow hurts the team

Many people do not understand how soul-crushingly bad Wes Johnson was, and underestimate the impact of replacing him with competent wing players

Many people do not understand that Andrei Kirilenko is a hall-of-fame-caliber player

I'm sure that last one is bound to get scoffs from lots of readers but it's not a joke. During the worst season of AK47's 10-year career, he played at an all-star level:
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#343 » by Calinks » Sat Oct 6, 2012 5:04 am

Went to the UFC on FX tonight. Was a lot of fun. One of the highlights? On the way out I ran into Shved and Pekovic! Pek was leading the way out with Alesky following with a group of his friends. Looked like they had a good time. Then a little later as I was catching the bus back home I saw Shved with two of his buddies walking down Hennepin. He was really excited and jumped up on their backs. Looked like he was loving the chilly night life.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

kluv of the twins 

Post#344 » by miltk » Sun Oct 7, 2012 3:33 am

Chance1117
Bench Warmer
And1: 23

Post#345 » by Chance1117 » Sun Oct 7, 2012 6:19 am

Calinks wrote:Went to the UFC on FX tonight. Was a lot of fun. One of the highlights? On the way out I ran into Shved and Pekovic! Pek was leading the way out with Alesky following with a group of his friends. Looked like they had a good time. Then a little later as I was catching the bus back home I saw Shved with two of his buddies walking down Hennepin. He was really excited and jumped up on their backs. Looked like he was loving the chilly night life.

My wife spotted Pek from like 150 feet away. We were sitting where the fighters were coming in. Impressive that she spotted him and knew who he was. I tried to leave in the wrong direction hoping we could run into him on the way out.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#346 » by Saltine » Sun Oct 7, 2012 10:07 am

More Pek; :)
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/172971781.html

The Wolves' summertime personnel moves have put them right at the NBA's salary cap, but they can choose to exceed it and pay Pekovic as much as they want up to the maximum salary because he is already on their roster. Pekovic said he wants to stay in Minnesota.

"I would like to stay here because of everything," he said. "I just like everything. I like the area. I like the team. I like all the stuff. Now I got some friends here. Now it's real easy. It's just nice, nice people, nice town. I would like to be here."
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#347 » by Esohny » Sun Oct 7, 2012 3:30 pm

They better make extending him a top priority.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#348 » by cpfsf » Sun Oct 7, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm not as concerned as I should be when it comes to Pekovic and free agency.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#349 » by Worm Guts » Sun Oct 7, 2012 6:57 pm

He's restricted, you shouldn't be concerned at all.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#350 » by cpfsf » Sun Oct 7, 2012 8:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:He's restricted, you shouldn't be concerned at all.

Slightly worried about overpaying, but not really concerned about retaining Pekovic.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#351 » by eyeteeth » Mon Oct 8, 2012 12:36 am

I am a mad homer fanboy, but I believe Pek could be like Karl Malone in his prime. His fundamentals are so solid. That together with his strength.. He's all that.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#352 » by southern wolf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:04 am

Great to hear. Pek has always come across as a pretty loyal player, I think the European players we have - or at least Pek and the Russians - will be inseparable this season.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#353 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:35 am

eyeteeth wrote:I am a mad homer fanboy, but I believe Pek could be like Karl Malone in his prime. His fundamentals are so solid. That together with his strength.. He's all that.

Their strength and size allowed them to overcome most defenders, but Malone was more versatile and could do pretty much everything Pek could but better. If Pek wants to be more like Malone, he should develop a mid range game and become better at rebounding on the defensive end.

This is really more of a fun fact than anything else, but the most overlooked stat in Malone's career was games played. You gotta see it to believe it. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/karl_malone/index.html. I should note he only played 49 games in the 98-99 season because of the lockout where only 50 games was played. The guy makes Tayshaun Prince look like Greg Oden.

Yes We Kahn
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#354 » by Yes We Kahn » Mon Oct 8, 2012 3:12 am

I love Pek and all, but you have to be on some serious drugs to compare him to Karl Malone
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#355 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:07 am

cpfsf wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:I am a mad homer fanboy, but I believe Pek could be like Karl Malone in his prime. His fundamentals are so solid. That together with his strength.. He's all that.

Their strength and size allowed them to overcome most defenders, but Malone was more versatile and could do pretty much everything Pek could but better. If Pek wants to be more like Malone, he should develop a mid range game and become better at rebounding on the defensive end.

This is really more of a fun fact than anything else, but the most overlooked stat in Malone's career was games played. You gotta see it to believe it. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/karl_malone/index.html. I should note he only played 49 games in the 98-99 season because of the lockout where only 50 games was played. The guy makes Tayshaun Prince look like Greg Oden.

I've always wanted to quote myself. I was reading random articles about Malone and came across this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/bio/_/id/501/karl-malone

missing a total of only five regular season games in his first 13 years in the league.

methinks espn writer forgot about the lockout in 98-99. The 14th season was shortened, so it looks like he missed a lot of games that year. nobody is perfect and it's not that important, but it was an AH HA moment for me.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#356 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:53 am

cpfsf wrote:methinks espn writer forgot about the lockout in 98-99. The 14th season was shortened, so it looks like he missed a lot of games that year. nobody is perfect and it's not that important, but it was an AH HA moment for me.

10 games missed in 18 seasons in Utah
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#357 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 7:24 am

Klomp wrote:
cpfsf wrote:methinks espn writer forgot about the lockout in 98-99. The 14th season was shortened, so it looks like he missed a lot of games that year. nobody is perfect and it's not that important, but it was an AH HA moment for me.

So many players on the Wolves roster missed more than 10 games in 11-12. Of course, he's called the Mailman for a reason.

southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#358 » by southern wolf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 9:16 am

Klomp wrote:

The mailman always delivers.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#359 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:56 pm

southern wolf wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The mailman always delivers.

not on sundays

eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#360 » by eyeteeth » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:00 pm

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/08/12/ ... edID=10354

Great article. Very interesting that Will Conroy can just text David Kahn about stuff.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves