ImageImageImage

Wolves In The News

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Re: Wolves In The News 

Post#81 » by B Calrissian » Wed Jan 4, 2012 11:02 pm

weasel wrote:On PTI just now, Charles Barkley was asked his opinion of Ricky Rubio. And his response was that before he talked about Ricky, if he was going to talk about the Minnesota Timberwolves, he has to talk about the best power forward in the NBA, Kevin Love. He then went on to rave about Kevin and said that every team in the league would go out of their way to get him, but he hopes Kevin stays in Minnesota.

He then went on to say he can't wait to see what Ricky can do once he gets into the starting lineup.

There was a quote in the paper today from Barkley saying Love is the most underrated player in the league or something along those lines.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#82 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 4, 2012 11:23 pm

weasel wrote:On PTI just now, Charles Barkley was asked his opinion of Ricky Rubio. And his response was that before he talked about Ricky, if he was going to talk about the Minnesota Timberwolves, he has to talk about the best power forward in the NBA, Kevin Love. He then went on to rave about Kevin and said that every team in the league would go out of their way to get him, but he hopes Kevin stays in Minnesota.

He then went on to say he can't wait to see what Ricky can do once he gets into the starting lineup.

On Around The Horn yesterday in the final round they were asked what the bigger story from the SA game was, us or Manu's injury. Cowlishaw (A TX guy) picked us and got the point. I forgot his reasoning though.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 5, 2012 12:19 am

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 5, 2012 4:28 am

Twolves_PR Timberwolves PR
#Twolves @kevinlove scheduled to be guest of @jimrome is burning tomorrow. Show airs at 3:30 p.m. CT on ESPN2.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 5, 2012 7:15 am

In the pregame locker room, Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook began to get testy about all the solicitations for his thoughts on Rubio. Had he seen tape of Rubio playing? "We saw some tape on the Wolves," he replied evenly. What did he think of Rubio? "He is another guard in the league. I am looking forward to playing against him and we'll see what happens." As the reporters filed out, Westbrook turned to fellow point guard Eric Maynor and asked rhetorically, with multiple profanities, why everyone was asking about a player who wasn't even in the starting lineup.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#86 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 5, 2012 7:44 am

Any video of Barkley saying that stuff? And lol at Westbrook, he kind of reminds me of Marbury in more ways than one. If only Rubio beat him embarrassingly, he would have been livid.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 5, 2012 4:26 pm

Calinks wrote:Any video of Barkley saying that stuff? And lol at Westbrook, he kind of reminds me of Marbury in more ways than one. If only Rubio beat him embarrassingly, he would have been livid.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7425326

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 5, 2012 10:15 pm

Tune in tomorrow: #Twolves David Kahn will be in-studio with Paul Allen from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. on @kfan1003.

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#89 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 5, 2012 11:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
In the pregame locker room, Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook began to get testy about all the solicitations for his thoughts on Rubio. Had he seen tape of Rubio playing? "We saw some tape on the Wolves," he replied evenly. What did he think of Rubio? "He is another guard in the league. I am looking forward to playing against him and we'll see what happens." As the reporters filed out, Westbrook turned to fellow point guard Eric Maynor and asked rhetorically, with multiple profanities, why everyone was asking about a player who wasn't even in the starting lineup.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

Shows that Westbrook only cares about starting/numbers than actual quality of someone's game.

Westbrook used to be one of my favorite point guards in the league, especially when he was an underdog is 2008, but he has grown into an arrogant d-bag lately.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
LOBO 7
Bench Warmer
And1: 49

Post#90 » by LOBO 7 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 12:20 am

Buy or Sell? Wolves are the only team all 5 talking heads can agree on:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-o ... rise-teams
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#91 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 6, 2012 2:12 am

Charles and Reggie Miller just said K Love is the best PF In the world and should be starting in the allstar game.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#92 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 6, 2012 2:18 am

Wow. They're drinking more Kool-aid than any of us.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:34 am

theGreatRC wrote:Charles and Reggie Miller just said K Love is the best PF In the world and should be starting in the allstar game.

Wow Reggie too? Dang I missed it. Though I spose Reg is a UCLA guy...

How'd they get on the topic?

cool_guy
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#94 » by cool_guy » Fri Jan 6, 2012 4:07 am

Imagine KG is here and KL is playing like this. KG would kill this Kid :)
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#95 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 6, 2012 4:21 am

Klomp wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Charles and Reggie Miller just said K Love is the best PF In the world and should be starting in the allstar game.

First Kevin Harlan had a little trivia with Charles and Reggie asking which four Miami heat players are on the All-star ballot? (fourth guy is Joel Anthony btw)

Charles went on to say that he hates the fans voting and that Kevin Love should be a starter in the ASG because he is the best PF in the world. Reggie was about to mention another player and Charles said "Who's better?" and Reggie agreed that Kevin Love is the best PF in the "world"
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#96 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 6, 2012 4:53 am

Klomp wrote:

I wonder if those guys have the same agent as KLove?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#97 » by Dual » Mon Jan 9, 2012 7:17 pm

Power Rankings:

15 on Espn(previous 17): http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/2
The longest and saddest seven seconds of the season so far can only be Minnesota's seven late ticks against Milwaukee, since that represents the only fourth-quarter time our beloved rookie of the year favorite Ricky Rubio has watched from the bench so far.

21 on NBA.com(previous 18): http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerranki ... index.html
After he put up 13 points, six rebounds and 14 assists in Sunday's win in Washington, is it time for Ricky Rubio to start? Their original starting lineup (Michael Beasley missed Sunday's game) has been awful defensively and the Wolves have led only three of their first eight games after the first quarter.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 9, 2012 10:07 pm

#Twolves Adelman has been preaching improving on the defensive end since start of training camp. Next 2 tweets show message is getting thru.

#Twolves currently rank 10th in NBA in scoring defense (92.9 ppg), a nearly 15 ppg improvement from last yr (107.7 ppg - last in NBA).

#Twolves lead NBA in 4th Qtr def (34.0% - FG%) & 3rd in scoring def (20.3 pts). Last yr, MIN was last in both 4th Qtr stats (46.9%/26.1 pts)

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#99 » by Saltine » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Wolves 14th in Hollinger's power rankings...
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm

I'll try not to be the thousandth writer to tell you how exciting it is to see the ball zoom unpredictably around the court from the hands of Ricky Rubio. Just get League Pass already and see for yourself. (Under discussion: renaming "Daily Dime Live" "Ricky Rubio oohing and aahing"). That, my friends, is one hell of a show.

But without the ball, it's a whole 'nother "holy cow." BasketballValue tells us that when Rubio is on the court, the Timberwolves are giving up 95 points per 100 possessions. When he's off, that number is 104. It's early yet, and those adjusted plus/minus numbers are particularly vulnerable to small sample sizes. But it looks right now like Rubio is already a difference-maker defending NBA guards, and that his impact on defense rivals all that stuff he's doing at the other end.

To my eyes, it's clear that he has very long arms. (Look at that photo above. See how far his shoulder is from the ball compared to Danny Green's?) What's more important, however, is that he is constantly doing everything he can to try to make a difference. Coaches always say that a big part of being good at defense is wanting to be good at defense. Mission accomplished. Sometimes that means he gets caught watching the ball a bit, but in general, he's hustling. If you remember the play in the photo above (which Rubio later said he thought had been a foul) I'm pretty sure that Green was assuming nobody was going to bother to chase him down. But in this case, he was wrong.

You also might notice a lot of opposing guards simply coughing up balls against Minnesota. If you rewind and watch again, you'll notice a lot of those were poked free by Rubio, even if he is not credited with all those steals.

In fact, it's plays like that that make me love advanced stats like plus/minus. No, we can't say exactly what it is that works about his defense. But we can say that over this young season, when he's out there, the defense has worked much better than when he's not. As Martha Stewart would say, that's a good thing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... icky-rubio

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves