Wolves In The News

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,923

Re: Wolves In The News 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Rick Adelman was brought in to add a “winning culture” to this struggling franchise, and it was perhaps the best decision the team made in the offseason. It’s important for a young team to understand the poise and attention to detail it takes to win games in late situations. The Wolves will win more games than they did last year, but it won’t be because of a “winning culture” – at least not yet. That takes time, and a shortened season doesn’t help in that regard.

It sounds like a copout, but the team will win more just by having fun. It sounds like puppy dog optimism, and maybe it is, but when you have a magician like Ricky Rubio capable of creating something out of impossible situations, you get fewer Michael Beasley 20-foot isolation jumpers from the corner. From what it sounds like, for Rubio, the pressure to succeed in Minnesota is different than the pressure that existed back in Europe. He is free to be a kid here – or at least exhibit it in play. The team will need time to immerse themselves in the infectious play that inherently forms in the presence of a sharp passer. The team will grow and learn to trust one another fully.

Imagine every possession as a potential fast break. Kevin Love corrals a rebound and makes a quick outlet to Rubio who is already darting down the court eyeing a cutting Derrick Williams, or a Wes Johnson situating himself on the baseline, ready to spot up. If the play collapses, the ball can swing around to the trailing Kevin Love for a three. These are plays and options that existed before, but it takes a player capable of breaking down the play into logical progressions. That’s what Rubio can do, and he’ll make the entire team a smarter, more reactive group.

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2011/12 ... hyperbole/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
LOBO 7
Bench Warmer
And1: 49

Post#42 » by LOBO 7 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:40 pm

We're the 9th most "watchable" team on SB Nation's "NBA Watchability Index":

9. Minnesota Timberwolves: This year's version of the Clippers, in that they're a young team with an incredibly exciting star that will show some signs of growth this year even if they won't be a playoff team. Ricky Rubio won't be as good as Blake Griffin, but he will be just as exciting throwing lobs and dancing around defenders. Kevin Love will still be Kevin Love, Michael Beasley will be the oddball of the group and I have a feeling Derrick Williams is going to turn some heads. There's also Rick Adelman, one of the league's best coaches that has experience upping the excitement level of young teams.

I know it's weird to think of the Timberwolves as a team to watch. But think about this: when highlights of their first preseason game against the Bucks hit the Internet, there were tons of NBA folks trying to find any means necessary to rewatch the game. That's a preseason game against the No. 29 team on this list, mind you. All of us have caught Ricky fever, and the only solution is more Timberwolves.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/12/22/ ... lity-scale
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#43 » by lobishome » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 am

Injury update

Both Ricky Rubio (ankle) and J.J. Barea (bruised thigh) returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's game. Kevin Love (ankle), Wes Johnson (ankle) and Nikola Pekovic (strained groin) did not.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#44 » by Foye » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:35 am

Looks like we should rename to Minnesota Banged Ankles :dontknow:
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#45 » by Calinks » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am

lobishome wrote:
Injury update

Both Ricky Rubio (ankle) and J.J. Barea (bruised thigh) returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's game. Kevin Love (ankle), Wes Johnson (ankle) and Nikola Pekovic (strained groin) did not.

Well Pek's pee pee is like a third leg so we can chalk that one up as an ankle injury too.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#46 » by B Calrissian » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am

Calinks wrote:Well Pek's pee pee is like a third leg so we can chalk that one up as an ankle injury too.

If only Pek had some type of nickname that could help us figure out how this injury occurred..
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:53 pm

JJ Barea can't help but feel a little different in a Timberwolves uniform. Not only is he starting over with a new franchise and new teammates, but the fifth-year veteran is feeling a bit more mature among his new colleagues.

He did, after all, become an elder teammate over night.

"I feel a little bit old here," Barea joked. "I'm 27, but I feel like one of the oldest on the team."

Still, Barea is using the change to his advantage. Coming from the defending champion Dallas Mavericks—a squad filled with veteran leadership in Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry—the Wolves' new point guard is finding ways to take the lessons he learned in Texas to help this young roster mature.

Along with Barea in the back court are four guards with two or fewer years of NBA experience. Minnesota's current roster has 10 players who have played three years or fewer in the league.

Barea is hoping to help this youthful squad mature into the type of unit he helped win the title last June. Assistant coach Terry Porter said he's already seeing the difference.

"First and foremost, he's a winner," Porter said. "He comes here with a championship pedigree. He knows what you've got to put in to be successful. They won it last year, but they've always been a very good, successful team. When you have young guys, that's so critical. They've got to learn how to be professionals, learn how to be a championship-caliber basketball team."

Not only is Barea able to bring that work ethic, but he's able to perform on the court.

In Minnesota's first preseason game against Milwaukee—he sat out Wednesday's final exhibition with a thigh bruise—Barea played 26 minutes and racked up 14 points and six assists in the 117-96 victory. He showed an ability to work the offense, find open passing lanes and take the basket to the hoop when the opportunity arose.

He said he's trying to show his teammates how to approach the game each day.

"Just lead by example," Barea said. "A little bit of talking, but mostly come every day and work hard, compete every game. Come early, leave late. Work on your game, stay healthy, do weights. Do whatever it takes."

Teammates are noticing that mentality. Forward Kevin Love said he trusts Barea on the court to make the right play. Love said he brings a calming presence to the team, but he's ready to go come game time.

"When it's time to turn it on and bring it, he brings it," Love said. "We've kind of got the best of both worlds."

Rookie guard Malcolm Lee said he is watching and learning. He said he finds things in Barea's game—how he defends, how uses a pick and roll—and tries to emulate his approach.

That type of impact off among his new teammates is what Porter sees daily.

"His ability to step out on the floor and still contribute is huge," Porter said.

Heading into the team's regular season opener on Monday at home against Oklahoma City, the Wolves will continue to follow their new veteran back court leader's example.

"As long as we play with energy and we move the ball, I think we'll be fine," Barea said. "As the season goes on, the more games we get we're gonna feel more comfortable and we'll see what happens."

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/fe ... 12_23.html
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:37 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Sources say, Wolves went 2-0 in the preseason against the Bucks.

So as we prepare for the Preseason Playoff series against the 2-0 Clippers, I thought I would share some notes I made on Wolves players from the two games we just witnessed.

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/?p=708

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#49 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:55 pm

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#50 » by shrink » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:31 am

HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#51 » by HEKTOR » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 am

Miličić u drugom planu kod Adelmana
24 Decembar 2011 | 21:35(3)

Ako se ostvare procene određenih američkih NBA analitičara, Darko Miličić će u sezoni koja samo što nije počela (u nedelju), imati manju minutažu nego u prethodnoj, njegovoj najproduktivnijoj u karijeri. Ovakav stav potpisnici redova u jednom od izdanja lista sa sedištem u Mineapolisu, Twincities, temelje na pretpostavci da će novi trener Minesote, Rik Adelman, maksimalno koristiti potencijale širokog spektra šutera, pridošlice iz Dalasa Džej-Džej Baree, Rikija Rubija, Luka Ridnaura, Majkla Bizlija, Vesa Džonsona, rukija Derika Vilijamsa, i Kevina Lava, koga inače Adelman planira da umesto Miličića i Pekovića, “stavi” na poziciju startnog centra. Pošto će napad bazirati na rotaciji pomenutih igrača, Miličić će dobijati manje lopti pod košem.

- Nije na meni da pričam o tome šta bih želeo da radim, da li ovo ili ono. Ovo je moja deveta godina u NBA i suština je da kada si u igri uradiš to što je potrebno da pomogneš ekipi da pobedi. Neću da se žalim - rekao je nedavno Miličić, koji se polako privikava na koncepciju novog trenera.

Srpski centar je u minuloj sezoni bio starter na 69 utakmica, imao je učinak od 8,8 poena u proseku po meču, 5,2 skoka i 24,4 minuta. Bio je peti bloker lige... Ipak, te brojke teško da će nadmašiti u sezoni ispred, s obzirom na to da se Adelman već opredelio za sistem u kome Darko neće biti jedan od nosilaca.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically what the article is saying is that Darko is not in Adelman's first plans and that he won't be getting as many minutes as last year.

Also, that Adelman will cater more to the team's 'shooters' with Love playing the 5. As a result, Darko will get less shots.

Darko himself said that he's in his 9th year and when he plays, he wants to do the things necessary in order to help the team. He says it's not on him to say what he wants/doesn't want to do on the court and won't complain about what Adelman decides to do with him.

I thought he wouldn't play as much considering the addition of Williams, but I'd still like to hope that Adelman will give him a chance...
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#52 » by Narf » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I'll be damned. Wolves ranked #20 in ESPN's power rankings.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/ ... 012/week/0

K-Love, Rubio, Derrick Williams, Beasley, Adelman and, of course, David Kahn! The Wolves have already clinched Favorite Bad Team To Watch status with a lot of NBA League Pass customers ... and as a bonus they might not be so bad after all.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:21 pm

fsnorth FOX Sports North
Tonight at 8pm on #WolvesWeekly: new Head Coach Rick Adelman discusses the @MNTimberwolves & spend a day with @RickyRubio9! #WatchWolves

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:31 am

There is -- quite possibly for the first time since Latrell Sprewell wondered aloud just how he would feed his family on $21 million -- a buzz crackling and humming around these Timberwolves. ¶ You can feel it after so many seasons of indifference at Target Center, where more than 12,000 people gathered for a preseason game and 2,500 arrived for a free, lunch-hour scrimmage. ¶ You can sense it on your Facebook page, where one friend proudly posts a cellphone photo of herself posed with Spanish sensation Ricky Rubio at Seven in downtown Minneapolis on a Saturday night. ¶ Yes, it's true the beauty of sports means every season brings optimism, but ...

"People say things will be better every year because you don't expect to be bad, ever," Wolves forward Anthony Tolliver said. "But at the end of the day, I know some things for a fact: Everybody has a different attitude coming in this year than we did the last."

There are many reasons Tolliver claims to know what he knows, the arrival of Rubio and Derrick Williams among them. But foremost is one that Tolliver expresses simply by pointing across the practice floor, his finger directed at new coach Rick Adelman.

"That guy right over there," he said.

"That guy" ranks eighth on the NBA's all-time list of coaching winners, and his 945 career victories with Portland, Golden State, Sacramento and Houston are 240 more than the Wolves have won in their entire history.

David Kahn's 2 1/2 years as Wolves president of basketball operations have had their share of suspect moves, but his patient recruiting of Adelman to replace fired and failed Kurt Rambis was September's slam-dunk punctuation mark on a transformational summer, one where Kahn also signed Rubio after a two-year courtship and picked Williams second in the June draft.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/136211758.html

BeasleyTheBeast
Analyst
And1: 49

Post#55 » by BeasleyTheBeast » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 am

Narf wrote:I'll be damned. Wolves ranked #20 in ESPN's power rankings.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/ ... 012/week/0

K-Love, Rubio, Derrick Williams, Beasley, Adelman and, of course, David Kahn! The Wolves have already clinched Favorite Bad Team To Watch status with a lot of NBA League Pass customers ... and as a bonus they might not be so bad after all.

Inreponse to Derrick Rose's Brother criticising the Bulls FO

RunSunRun wrote:"Wait...Derrick Rose has a brother, can he play?"

- Suns front office
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Klomp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Kevin Love
Like a 6-10 Russian nesting doll, Kevin Love reveals a little more about his game each season.

The dolls, that sit in another that sit in another and so on, seem hardly a metaphor for a power forward on the face of it. But that’s just it; Love has proven to be a shape-shifter in his career, owing to his historic versatility. To say that Blake Griffin doesn’t have this potential or is inferior to Love is ridiculous. However, until I see a track record of development on par with Love’s, I’ll take the latter.

When I watched Love play in high school, he was the biggest kid in the state and it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility — expected, really — he might break a backboard in a suburban gym somewhere. What he showed as a rare, athletic big man beating up on all comers was what was expected from a guy his stature.

At UCLA he showed his outlet passing vision wasn’t just a high-school fluke to go with his boilerplate 20 points and 10 boards clip. And on a team with three other future draft picks — Darren Collison, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Russell Westbrook — Love showed an ability to take over a room, per se, as the new guy and lead UCLA to a third straight Final Four.

We all know about his progression in Minnesota, where he went from Kurt Rambis’ “doghouse” to 53 straight double-doubles last season. Then, of course, he led the League with 15.2 rebounds and averaged 20.2 points and launched a fake fragrance line (#numbers) to boost his All-Star candidacy. He eventually became an All-Star when his minutes increased and his starts spiked, but don’t forget he was the best offensive rebounder by percentage his first two seasons as well.

[Related: Dime's 2011-12 NBA Preview: Northwest Division]

The whole time I’ve waited to see Love trumped by the bigger and the more athletic. It’s something Kevin McHale tried to find during the Wolves’ pre-draft camps in 2008 too. McHale, like me, was won over by Love’s ability to adapt to competition.

“You wondered how Kevin was going to do against these big guys, but when they started playing, Kevin got way bigger and the other guys got way smaller,” McHale said in 2008. “He was the biggest player on the floor. There’s just certain guys that get bigger. He’s one of those guys. We brought as much length to the workout as we could, and Kevin was very impressive. There were no issues whatsoever.”

No issues, and few to compare him with. As Justin Kubatko of basketball-reference.com wrote last February, Love’s style is historic, becoming the first rebounding leader since Dennis Rodman in 1991-92 to also attempt at least 100 threes — where Love shot 41 percent. That was 13th-best in the league last season and tied for the youngest, at 22, with Steph Curry.

Love, for all his beach volleyball training during the lockout, will never jump over a sedan like Griffin. But as he loses style points, I believe he prolongs his career. Make no mistake: I want to watch Blake Griffin play every game because he plays like a can of gasoline sits, waiting for a single spark. But I doubt his body — fine, his knees — can withstand a career based on his two outstanding gifts: freakish athleticism and a relentless pace. Call it a belief Love will deliver more at a diminished ability (see: late-career Arvydas Sabonis) than Griffin could.

Don’t downgrade his effect in the present, either. His 11.4 win shares rating was the league’s ninth-best in 2010-11 and he was the the only player in the top 19 who wasn’t on a playoff roster.

It’s easy to be seduced by the leapers, and many a League Pass has been bought because of Griffin alone. But the numbers Minnesota’s forward has put up in his career show true Love — and value.
-ANDREW GREIF

http://dimemag.com/2011/12/whos-better- ... e-griffin/

Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#57 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE95Gx0050s[/youtube]
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#58 » by Busch Legion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:45 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE95Gx0050s[/youtube]

Always a good thing.

Also, Darko looking good at :24
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#59 » by lobishome » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Rick Adelman knows where he wants his wing players to move and cut on a basketball court. He knows where he wants them to be when they're scrambling back in transition defense.

Adelman knows where he wants them to sit, and with whom, on his team's charter flights around the NBA. He even knows where he wants the broadcasters and corporate types to plant themselves -- somewhere, anywhere, as long as it's outside the gym -- during morning shootarounds.

It's all part of Adelman's appeal at the moment as The Most Professional Coach Ever Hired by the Minnesota Timberwolves. And part of the buzz being generated in the Twin Cities by a young, talented and, for most of the past four seasons, haphazard and largely irrelevant team.

Changing a team's "culture" gets talked about a lot in the NBA and, frankly, a lot of times it is hot air. Something to talk about when the Xs and the Os aren't meshing and the scoreboard keeps tilting the wrong way. Culture is something best left to the good folks at Yoplait and the Guggenheim, and not a word you'll hear much coming out of Adelman's mouth.

What he more often talks about are habits and atmosphere and attitude. And the accountability and reliability of an approach that works, tested and cured over 20 years to some of the greatest coaching success in league annals. At 945-616 (.605) when he was hired in September, Adelman ranked eighth in victories, behind only Don Nelson, Lenny Wilkens, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Larry Brown and George Karl. He trailed only two of them -- Jackson (.704) and Riley (.636) -- in winning percentage.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/s ... index.html

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves