Media Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,600

Re: Media Thread II 

Post#461 » by DayofMourning » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Basti wrote:The guy between Nash and Walker is either Walter McCarty (my bet) or John Wallace if my short research is correct. Both were drafted by the Knicks (or ended up as a Knick on Draft Day).

No freaking clue who the dude on the bottom right is, though. You can't even see the jersey properly. My wild guess would be Samaki Walker who was drafted by the Mavericks.

Kerry Kittles.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#462 » by Basti » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 pm

That's not the guy I was talking about. Kittles was rather easy to recognize. The guy I was talking of, and I'm pretty sure I guessed right by saying it's Samaki Walker, is the guy in the lower right corner. Kittles is the guy to the left of Nash's leg.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#463 » by C.lupus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah, I'm about 98% sure that's Samaki Walker.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#464 » by Nitroglycerin » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:44 am

my avi gif is not smooth. any solution?
Trust the PRosas!
Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#465 » by Varejao17 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:03 pm

I know it's a little late but it's Samaki Walker for sure...
props to C.lupus
DaCode10
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#466 » by DaCode10 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:06 am

packforfreedom wrote:finally some love for Jim Peterson:

When you catch their local broadcasts, Jim Petersen is also the best color commentator in the business.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2014/stor ... ch-2014-15

Yes he is.

Really, he's always kind of annoyed me a little...
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#467 » by C.lupus » Mon Nov 3, 2014 2:48 pm

He kind of annoys me, too, and my wife can't stand him. He's knowledgeable, has good insights, and isn't an unbearable homer like a lot of color guys for other teams. But he also tends to talk so much that Benz misses calling plays. He needs to STFU more often.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#468 » by urinesane » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:44 pm

They need to swap out Benz for Horton.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#469 » by Basti » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:27 pm

Or go back to Tom Hanneman as the announcer. I think they had great chemistry. Plus, Hanne's voice is so much more enjoying to hear.

Not that I dislike Benz, though. I'm cool with him.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#470 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:19 am

I want an Avery Johnson/Dikembe Mutombo announcing team. Like very badly I want that.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#471 » by Basti » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:13 am

Can anyone hit me up with an avy of Ricky's reaction from the locker room? Calling dibs 8-)
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#472 » by southern wolf » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:33 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I want an Avery Johnson/Dikembe Mutombo announcing team. Like very badly I want that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0aq9AE9O0[/youtube]

Mutombo and the cookie monster, perfect team!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,823

Post#473 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:56 pm

C.lupus wrote:But he also tends to talk so much that Benz misses calling plays. He needs to STFU more often.

I caught an instance of this last night that reminded me of this discussion, it was early in the 3rd quarter.

However, I don't think it's as big a deal. TV announcers don't really have to call every single play. That's why there's video behind their voices. Missing one play call isn't the end of the world.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Nitroglycerin
Starter

Post#474 » by Nitroglycerin » Thu Nov 6, 2014 3:24 pm

Sig idea: Mexico Timberwolves
Trust the PRosas!
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#475 » by Basti » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
C.lupus wrote:But he also tends to talk so much that Benz misses calling plays. He needs to STFU more often.

I caught an instance of this last night that reminded me of this discussion, it was early in the 3rd quarter.

However, I don't think it's as big a deal. TV announcers don't really have to call every single play. That's why there's video behind their voices. Missing one play call isn't the end of the world.

Exactly. I'd rather Jim Pete explains something in depth so I/we can learn something than have Benz (or any other play-by-play announcer) call every single play that I can see myself.
DaCode10
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#476 » by DaCode10 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 9:57 am

Even tho Jim annoys me Benz does even more so, tbh as a whole they're just annoying to me. Wish they'd bring back Tom I always liked his commentary
Nitroglycerin
Starter

Post#477 » by Nitroglycerin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Trust the PRosas!
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#478 » by urinesane » Sun Dec 7, 2014 7:35 pm

Alan Horton > Dave Benz

Alan Horton + Jim Pete would be the best crew in the league imo.

No clue how they haven't put them together, I don't think Horton is THAT ugly that he needs to be on radio.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,823

Post#479 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:35 pm

urinesane wrote:Alan Horton > Dave Benz

No clue how they haven't put them together, I don't think Horton is THAT ugly that he needs to be on radio.

Thy did a radio broadcast last year when FSN wasn't televising. I think it was one of the ESPN games. No clue how they did.

But I'm sure there would be an adjustment. Doing just PBP (Benz) is a lot different than doing PBP and commentary. And doing radio is a lot different from calling a game on TV.

In theory, it would be a great fit, but I'm not sure if it would be in reality.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#480 » by urinesane » Mon Dec 8, 2014 8:13 pm

Klomp wrote:
urinesane wrote:Alan Horton > Dave Benz

Thy did a radio broadcast last year when FSN wasn't televising. I think it was one of the ESPN games. No clue how they did.

But I'm sure there would be an adjustment. Doing just PBP (Benz) is a lot different than doing PBP and commentary. And doing radio is a lot different from calling a game on TV.

In theory, it would be a great fit, but I'm not sure if it would be in reality.

I think they both did a preseason game together on the radio I want to say, it was pretty solid.

The thing I like about Horton is he knows his stuff, doesn't come off as a cheesy tool (FLIGHT 13 CLEARS THE TOWER!), and he adds enough personality/energy to make it entertaining rather than boring.

Throw Jim Pete in there to break things down a bit more and add more insight to the technical side of the game and I think you have a good balance.

Doing radio is a lot different than TV because you have to paint the entire picture for the audience, on TV he wouldn't need to do that and would have Pete there to add another voice.

Benz is a total cheeze ball like Hanneman was, but he screws up a lot of calls that are pretty easy, and doesn't really add much to the game itself.

Horton is really good on the radio and I don't see how that wouldn't translate to TV considering he wouldn't have to do as much and would have a solid partner in Pete.

I think the main issue is that Horton seems like he actually cares about the game and the Wolves (as a fan), so he may get more emotional during broadcasts than they want. Benz seems very much like a company guy and will paint whatever picture they want him to.

I love this sort of stuff from an announcer: http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/12/listen_to_t-wolves_radio_guy_alan_hortons_epic_meltdown_at_end_of_last_nights_loss.php

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves