ImageImageImage

Rubio Thread Seis (VI)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#1481 » by Feilong » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm

I am afraid there will be some "crazy" GM next year that will offer him big money knowing MIN will match it. (Hayward, Parsons examples).
C-Dub47
Junior
And1: 233

Post#1482 » by C-Dub47 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Feilong wrote:I am afraid there will be some "crazy" GM next year that will offer him big money knowing MIN will match it. (Hayward, Parsons examples).

If it happens, it happens. I don't want to see us lose him. He is definitely a key piece in this team moving forward.
Duke4life831 wrote:Winslow > Wiggins
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1483 » by urinesane » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Feilong wrote:I am afraid there will be some "crazy" GM next year that will offer him big money knowing MIN will match it. (Hayward, Parsons examples).

I have a feeling after this season, it won't seem crazy.

I really think this is the perfect year for Rubio, experience wise, physical maturity wise, and if they get Wiggins, roster wise for him to take the next step as the leader of this team and to the next tier of PGs in the NBA.

If you go back and look at the lead up to Love signing the deal with the opt out, there were a ton of people split on whether he was worth the 5 year exception, and until last year not a lot of people were calling the FO morons for not giving him it.

I think there may be a similar change in mindsets towards Rubio this season and it will make it more obvious why they should lock him in for 5 years and be happy with it.

I would be thrilled to basically guarantee Rubio is with the Wolves until at least 2021. If Rubio is on the team, you know it will be at least entertaining basketball.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#1484 » by Dewey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 am

C-Dub47 wrote:

If it happens, it happens. I don't want to see us lose him. He is definitely a key piece in this team moving forward.

Agree ... whatever the $$ end up being, Flip seems confident RR has the qualities to lead the team, and likewise, appears to have a handle the type of players to surround him with. RR will become a more efficient scorer as he develops physically. Flip is a good coach for RR and I think he will take a step forward this season ... RR can handle the stage while making it all about his teammates.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Feilong
Veteran

Post#1485 » by Feilong » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:45 am

Call me whatever you want but i went to read the comments from the first games Rubio played for MIN (~page 60).
vs MIA, DAL, SAS etc. Had a continues smile on my face reading these comments.
Ricky you are a gem, D-Will you are our future, Love is a beast, Milicic go sit on the bench, Wes wtf are you doing, Beasley stop whining, Pek the Balkan bulldozer :) ... etc etc.
So much fun. How quickly things changed, only Ricky and Pek are still on the team. And Barea :(
Feilong
Veteran

Post#1486 » by Feilong » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZeeBpIcmE[/youtube]
Jayme96
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#1487 » by Jayme96 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:55 pm

urinesane wrote:

I have a feeling after this season, it won't seem crazy.

I really think this is the perfect year for Rubio, experience wise, physical maturity wise, and if they get Wiggins, roster wise for him to take the next step as the leader of this team and to the next tier of PGs in the NBA.

If you go back and look at the lead up to Love signing the deal with the opt out, there were a ton of people split on whether he was worth the 5 year exception, and until last year not a lot of people were calling the FO morons for not giving him it.

I think there may be a similar change in mindsets towards Rubio this season and it will make it more obvious why they should lock him in for 5 years and be happy with it.

I would be thrilled to basically guarantee Rubio is with the Wolves until at least 2021. If Rubio is on the team, you know it will be at least entertaining basketball.

I was one of them. I was just baffled that they would be that stupid. Another year and maybe the Wolves would be good enough that he'd stay, instead they screwed themselves over. You never screw over your best player, as they did there, on a complete unknown like Rubio was at the time.....and since then Rubio has proven to not be half the player Love is.

As for Ricky, I love part of his game, and hate part of it. He's atrocious scoring. He's great passing and stealing. He's one of those guys who needs to have the right players around him. Love doesn't. Rubio needs to have shooters around him that can catch and shoot. High-volume scorers, because he can't.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1488 » by urinesane » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 pm

It's not like Ricky is incapable of scoring, I think if Love is gone, it will change Rubio's offensive mindset and make him be the aggressive Rubio we have seen flashes of over the last few years at times.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPFlCwseEA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZlCpdxd0s[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT-08IEXcmY[/youtube]

As he gets stronger his FG% will climb, just from the difference it will make in his ability to finish around the rim (he showed this after the ASB last season).

Next couple years are going to be big for Ricky and he will have a lot of athletic freaks around him to take advantage of.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#1489 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 am

I can't see him getting less than a a max offer if he gets to RFA. I'd be happy for the Bucks to make that offer.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1490 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 am

Maybe this is dumb, but I'd be willing to pay him anything as long as its not the 5-year max.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#1491 » by MinneOOPalis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 am

Klomp wrote:Maybe this is dumb, but I'd be willing to pay him anything as long as its not the 5-year max.

How much per year are you willing to give?
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#1492 » by The J Rocka » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:18 am

I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Rubio anything over 11M per. He has a lot more to prove.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1493 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:
Klomp wrote:Maybe this is dumb, but I'd be willing to pay him anything as long as its not the 5-year max.

How much per year are you willing to give?

Anything. If someone signs him to a 4-year max offer sheet, I'd probably match it unless things go terribly wrong for him (mainly healthwise).

The tough thing is that year 4 would be year 1 for LaVine/Wiggins extensions and year 2 for Dieng/Muhammad, so hopefully we're winning by then.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1494 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 am

Sorry to break this to you Rubes, but you are not worth Kyle Lowry money at this point. I think 8.5-9.5 million a year is fair for his strengths and liabilities. If he can improve on his shooting form and prove it in the stat sheets, it is a completely different ball game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1495 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 am

One thing I find interesting is the relative contractual devaluation of the point guard position. There are obvious exceptions, but a majority of starting point guards coming off their rookie deals generally get between $8-12 mil per.

I retract my previous statement. He would have to dominate in '14-'15 for me to match that.

Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1496 » by Takingbaconback » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 am

Klomp wrote:One thing I find interesting is the relative contractual devaluation of the point guard position. There are obvious exceptions, but a majority of starting point guards coming off their rookie deals generally get between $8-12 mil per.

I retract my previous statement. He would have to dominate in '14-'15 for me to match that.

Speaking of relative devaluation, does anyone feel like Rubio has been less effective since he first stepped onto the NBA? Every defense is just playing the pass when he has the ball and Rubio scores a vast majority of his points with those get-by layups. The big problem is that only happens when the defense is lazy and blatantly overplays help 2-3 times a game. I hope he starts shooting off the dribble even if he has terrible bricks once in a while or he will always remain a liability.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#1497 » by Basti » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 am

The J Rocka wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Rubio anything over 11M per. He has a lot more to prove.

My absolute limit is 12M annually but I hope he'll sign for 9-10M unless he makes a huge leap next season.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#1498 » by Basti » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

Feilong wrote:Call me whatever you want but i went to read the comments from the first games Rubio played for MIN (~page 60).
vs MIA, DAL, SAS etc. Had a continues smile on my face reading these comments.
Ricky you are a gem, D-Will you are our future, Love is a beast, Milicic go sit on the bench, Wes wtf are you doing, Beasley stop whining, Pek the Balkan bulldozer :) ... etc etc.
So much fun. How quickly things changed, only Ricky and Pek are still on the team. And Barea :(

Man, those were some great times. I remember watching those games and for the first time ever since I had started watching live games back in 2007 (I think) it was such a joy to tune in. I didn't have to cling onto convincing myself that they might beat the other team on any given night. They actually had a chance to do so on any given night. That time was pretty nice.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#1499 » by Sugarless » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 am

Well, this team as currently constructed can still beat any team on any given night, and with the development of Dieng, some more minutes for Bazz, and the additions of Mo and Zach, they should be fighting for the playoffs without a doubt.

But the game needs to be run through Rubio, there's no way around that. That's the safest bet for this team and we could see that last season every time Kevin Martin went down (8-6 on games where he didn't play a single minute, despite the fact that we were missing our second best scorer). Actually, scratch that, we have seen that for three straight years already. When you have a great floor general who gets the most out of every one of your players, you have to give him the reins.

Now, if (when) Love gets traded for Wiggins, they will still have an exciting team who probably won't be competing for a playoff berth, but will be worth watching on a nightly basis. I really look forward to having as much fun as in Ricky's first season or during the second half of his sophomore year. He's just that special.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#1500 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Basti wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Rubio anything over 11M per. He has a lot more to prove.

My absolute limit is 12M annually but I hope he'll sign for 9-10M unless he makes a huge leap next season.

It's actually great timing for Ricky's contract ending as it will be the last year of contracts negotiated under the current CBA. After the new CBA is signed then the cap could very well jump to 75/80+ million(that may even be underestimating) and could see sharp rises in the years following. I would happily lock him in to a 5 year max at an average of 16 or so per year if the cap jumps to 75/80 million in the 16/17 season.

I agree I think it's gonna be a big, big year for Ricky. His aggressiveness in some of the closing games last year was very encouraging and I think he's gonna be out on a mission this coming year. His intangibles and leadership are just so dam elite.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves