ImageImageImage

Rubio Thread Seis (VI)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolfcat
Sophomore
And1: 22

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#1601 » by wolfcat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:20 am

Nearly everything that made Ricky special was something Adelman hated and tried to change. It really was a terrible fit for him. I hope Flip is ready to simplify and adapt, I am sure this young team is not ready for a 500 page playbook any time soon.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#1602 » by lobishome » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:25 am

C.lupus wrote:
lobishome wrote:
Spoiler:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rickyrubio9/status/501163097043005440[/tweet]

Gorgui is just waiting for the ball to bounce off the backboard into his hands. :P

Also, what's up with the black/blue/gold unis for Spain?

Really he got three layups in a row, this was the third

About Dieng last night, he played a lot near the perimter, even asking the ball at the 3 pts line. Sincerely, it wasnt a sucess exactly but looks the man is working on it and it's only one match. In fact, he got a couple of 2 pts shots
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1603 » by urinesane » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:55 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Yeah a mid range jumper would be nice. I think a floater would be very good for Rubio in that it isn't really a set shot so maybe he might be able to apply his magical touch on the ball and develop it quicker. He is taller than most of PGs so he can get that up before help usually arrives. I don't agree about the point that since he has to pass in the paint, the floater becomes less useful; I think a nice floater is exactly what Rubio needs to manipulate the defense, especially the rim protector.

I am a bit iffy about him learning to throw his body around and get fouls and score tough layups. I agree that he has to learn to take similar sized defenders and finish decently one or two times a game, but looking at his physique and his style, it doesn't seem like that ever will or should be something in his foundation. Rubio is a finesse, slick, cerebral player, who at his peak can force the defense to show its hand first, then methodically dissect it kinda like a great QB in the NFl. I think he needs to develop a couple more sudden "pick your poison" tricks like the floater or quick off the dribble mid range to consistently move players like he used to.

I also think a floater would be good, but it's another thing for him to worry about. I think it would be best to keep it simple and work on improving the basics of his scoring. I don't agree with the passing in the paint part either really, and I don't mean for him to be a reckless slash/crash type player. It's mostly a matter of learning to use contact to create separation to get off a shot, as well as using your body to draw the necessary contact for a foul. If you try to avoid contact all the time, you don't create enough space to get off a solid shot. Think of it more of an Andre Miller type of game than a Ty Lawson one, using his body and length to his advantage, rather than trying to finesse to much and get in his own way (kind of like aiming your pitches).

He needs to establish the basics first before a floater will be effective and not a question mark as to whether it will make him more passive than needed at times.

I think if he improves the main issues this year, a couple years down the road, his offensive game will be solid enough to add other wrinkles to his game.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1604 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:39 am

Takingbaconback wrote:Yeah a mid range jumper would be nice. I think a floater would be very good for Rubio in that it isn't really a set shot so maybe he might be able to apply his magical touch on the ball and develop it quicker. He is taller than most of PGs so he can get that up before help usually arrives. I don't agree about the point that since he has to pass in the paint, the floater becomes less useful; I think a nice floater is exactly what Rubio needs to manipulate the defense, especially the rim protector.

I am a bit iffy about him learning to throw his body around and get fouls and score tough layups. I agree that he has to learn to take similar sized defenders and finish decently one or two times a game, but looking at his physique and his style, it doesn't seem like that ever will or should be something in his foundation. Rubio is a finesse, slick, cerebral player, who at his peak can force the defense to show its hand first, then methodically dissect it kinda like a great QB in the NFl. I think he needs to develop a couple more sudden "pick your poison" tricks like the floater or quick off the dribble mid range to consistently move players like he used to.

When I said he should use his shoulders to gain separation, it was from my personal experience as a PG when I played semi-professional basketball. I was this skinny guy who used to shy away from contact so I was really bad around the rim, but then I hit the gym for a couple of years, developed just a bit muscle and so I tried it even tho I thought I'm still too weak for such a thing. But the results were amazing. Even with a lot bigger guys. You can create separation even from a center if you have the timing and the skill, and it doesn't have to do much with strength, it's just the positioning and body control. It seems to me that Ricky's problem is that he isn't aware that he could use his body around the rim when they're letting him drive in the open lanes. He tries to go totally around or reverse even when the ideal scenario is to just throw in a shoulder to protect your layup. It's easy as pie.

About his floater: imo, it won't be as efficient as him mastering the Stockton thing, and by that I mean keeping his dribble and going behind the bank when he doesn't like what he sees in a PnR or any other drive. In those situations, Stockton or Nash would just turn around while the whole defense has its back turned in the opposite direction, which usually leads to an easy cut by the bigmen or someone. You don't want Rubio taking a floater (especially since he hasn't done it once in his career afaik) if he is so clever when he goes into the crowded paint. Floater is just a quick bailout imo, and the opponents will let him have it all day.
InfraRen
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#1605 » by InfraRen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Ricky just posted this, he's definitely got a stronger upper body:

If your heart's filled with faith then you can't fear.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#1606 » by C.lupus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:55 pm

I know it's an optical illusion but his thigh looks atrophied. :lol:
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#1607 » by big3_8_19_21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:11 am

Interesting points made in this article:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2168 ... nba-career

Yeah, lots of people don't like bleacher report blah blah blah, the points the make are statistical:

For the first time in his career, Rubio should have the chance to do just that. He didn't exactly hurt for touches last season (only John Wall had more total assists), but he never had complete control of the offense. Of the 22 players to average at least six assists last season, only Kendall Marshall (16.3) had a smaller usage percentage than Rubio (16.4).

DAMN, Rubio. If Flip takes the ball out of Kevin F'ing Martin's hands and lets Rubio do what he does best, he's going to light teams up with his playmaking.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1608 » by packforfreedom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:53 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:Interesting points made in this article:

Yeah, lots of people don't like bleacher report blah blah blah, the points the make are statistical:

For the first time in his career, Rubio should have the chance to do just that. He didn't exactly hurt for touches last season (only John Wall had more total assists), but he never had complete control of the offense. Of the 22 players to average at least six assists last season, only Kendall Marshall (16.3) had a smaller usage percentage than Rubio (16.4).

DAMN, Rubio. If Flip takes the ball out of Kevin F'ing Martin's hands and lets Rubio do what he does best, he's going to light teams up with his playmaking.

okay, prepare for this stat (I mean it!):

last seasons timberwolves players with a higher or the same usage rate as Rubio:

Kevin Love (28.4%)
Kevin Martin (24.8%)
JJ Barea (24.4%)
Shabazz (23.3%)
AJ Price (23%)
Pekovic (22.5%)
Alexy Shved (21.3%)
Derrick Williams (18.1%)
Chase Budinger (17.2%)
Gorgui Dieng (17%)
Corey Brewer (16.2%)

that's eleven (!!!) players with the same or higher usage rate than one of the best playmaking PGs in the effing league. Damn you Adelman!

:nonono:
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#1609 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
big3_8_19_21 wrote:Interesting points made in this article:

okay, prepare for this stat (I mean it!):

last seasons timberwolves players with a higher or the same usage rate as Rubio:

Kevin Love (28.4%)
Kevin Martin (24.8%)
JJ Barea (24.4%)
Shabazz (23.3%)
AJ Price (23%)
Pekovic (22.5%)
Alexy Shved (21.3%)
Derrick Williams (18.1%)
Chase Budinger (17.2%)
Gorgui Dieng (17%)
Corey Brewer (16.2%)

that's eleven (!!!) players with the same or higher usage rate than one of the best playmaking PGs in the effing league. Damn you Adelman!

:nonono:

Barea 24.4% :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1610 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6GPM2wAxk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXTfVlYSCM[/youtube]
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1611 » by urinesane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Ricky is going to be a beast this year.

People should have Unicorn Unleashed signatures.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1612 » by ace625214 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:54 pm

urinesane wrote:Ricky is going to be a beast this year.

People should have Unicorn Unleashed signatures.

Someone with some free time should photoshop a picture of ricky as a running unicorn with Wiggins and LaVine on his back. It'll be a metaphor for how he's going to carry them to the All-Rookie team.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#1613 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:08 am

I wonder if Rubio/LaVine have any compatibility issues like Rubio/Shved had.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1614 » by urinesane » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 am

Turnover_21 wrote:I wonder if Rubio/LaVine have any compatibility issues like Rubio/Shved had.

I doubt it, Lavine seems like he can play off the ball fine and will get plenty of open shots from Ricky.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,921

Post#1615 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 am

Turnover_21 wrote:I wonder if Rubio/LaVine have any compatibility issues like Rubio/Shved had.

LaVine seems to be able to play well without the ball. Shved could not.

Playing off the ball is another area LaVine was very good at UCLA, and is a huge 'break', so to speak, in terms of his future development. He's not going to take the ball away from Rubio....and even more importantly, he shouldn't. Ricky is ready and able to run an NBA offense. Zach is not. By excelling at something that isn't tied to running the offense, LaVine can take the floor with Ricky, taking a great deal of decision-making pressure off his shoulders, which will greatly ease his learning curve.

Last season LaVine scored a strong 1.08 PPP coming off screens, and an even better 1.15 PPP in straight catch-and-shoot situations.

http://www.canishoopus.com/2014/8/1/585 ... ach-lavine

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5HcMjtfYc[/youtube]
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#1616 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:39 am

Klomp wrote:

Playing off the ball is another area LaVine was very good at UCLA, and is a huge 'break', so to speak, in terms of his future development. He's not going to take the ball away from Rubio....and even more importantly, he shouldn't. Ricky is ready and able to run an NBA offense. Zach is not. By excelling at something that isn't tied to running the offense, LaVine can take the floor with Ricky, taking a great deal of decision-making pressure off his shoulders, which will greatly ease his learning curve.

Last season LaVine scored a strong 1.08 PPP coming off screens, and an even better 1.15 PPP in straight catch-and-shoot situations.

Yes, I already know pretty much all of that but LaVine may fancy himself as more of a creator as it increases his chances of becoming a big time player. I hope he becomes our Ginobili and can switch on and off the ball role easily.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1617 » by urinesane » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Yes, I already know pretty much all of that but LaVine may fancy himself as more of a creator as it increases his chances of becoming a big time player. I hope he becomes our Ginobili and can switch on and off the ball role easily.

Huh? I'm not sure if there's anything to support that he won't be a great match next to Rubio. High flyer, long defender, and knock down shooter off the ball. I could see him running the offense and some backup PG in the future, but there really is no need, just let him grow in to being a great SG.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#1618 » by NewWolvesOrder » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:53 am

urinesane wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:

Huh? I'm not sure if there's anything to support that he won't be a great match next to Rubio. High flyer, long defender, and knock down shooter off the ball. I could see him running the offense and some backup PG in the future, but there really is no need, just let him grow in to being a great SG.

Look, I'm not denying that Zach does have all the tools to be a good fit with RR, but in the begining he's projected to play off the bench paired with Mo Williams who's a floor spacing SG in PG's body kind of player and that creates a perfect environment for LaVine to develop as a ball dominant SG and a primary creator on the second unit. Actually it's kind of Ridnour/Shved situation which allowed Shved to flourish in his rookie year and look out of sync once he was asked to move off the ball. Lavine can strive playing with the ball in his hands and not be happy to play without having the major role in controlling the ball. He has all the tools to play off ball but how his ego will handle it long term and will he have the right mindset. Kobe Bryant can play off the ball but he doesn't like it and had better chemistry with Fisher than Nash.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#1619 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 am

I'm actually worried about how Rubio is going to fit in with LaVine and Wiggins. If Wiggins takes multiple years to develop a good offensive game, Rubio may be the one who is on the outs.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1620 » by minimus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6GPM2wAxk#t=16[/youtube]

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves