Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,473

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#1901 » by guest81 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 7:58 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
guest81 wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't be surprised if a team like the Lakers or Knicks upped the price tag on Rubio. Hopefully something will be worked out sooner rather than later so that can be avoided, but his agent is Dan Fegan, so...

I don't see it. The Lakers and Knicks seem like the teams that want the really big fish. In all honestly, Rubio probably would be a top 5 PG 10-15 years ago, but today the position is just so deep. Every team outside of like 5-7 have a solid PG as it is.

The big fish is R.Rondo if we are talking about free agents PGs next season , Maybe Dragic if he doesnt take the player option, and than is Rubio ... I see the Lakers, Knicks, Rockets and special the Mavs. There is always a rumor involving Rubio/Dallas. So, if they can take Rubio at 12 M$ 13 M$ vs J.Lin 5M$ i believe they take Rubio for sure.

Another point is, Who was K.Lowry and Dragic before the last season start, good players, but nothing more than that.
They were amazing, and most of us see the potencial in Rubio, when it explodes that potencial, we have to be the team that holds a contract with Ricky. I hope that talent does not explode elsewhere.

I don't know about Rondo. The guy missed the whole year last year, and is going to miss a good chunk this year. Everybody says he's a superstar, but really hasn't had to play as one yet.

I think the thing with Lowry was that people always thought he was super talented, but was a huge dick that kept wearing out his welcome at places.

The teams you listed won't throw that kinda deal at Rubio as a RFA so I wouldn't worry. They don't wanna tie up that amount of cap space, when in fact, if push came to shove, Flip would absolutely match that deal rather then let him walk for nothing. Same thing happened with Bledsoe and Monroe
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1902 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:01 pm

12 mil is about right. Would give 13.5 like np.
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#1903 » by criteriado » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
criteriado wrote:
Klomp wrote:With his injury history, no way. And if he has another season without improving his shot, he wouldn't get the max in 2016.

The max in 2016 will be 23 million so I don't think he will get it. :lol: But in a 90 million cap, even with only little improvement he could get 13-14 mill.

I do think if he's a RFA this summer, he'll want a 2 yr contract with a player option after the first year and a lot of teams will want to give that type of contract when they're getting ready for the 2016 FA class and they don't want salary on their books.

I don't get this.

Instead of signing a max deal next summer, you think he would rather sign his qualifying offer and sign a deal starting at $5 million less than what he would make if he signed next summer? Makes no sense.

Not the QO, I'm saying that he could sign a 2 year 20 million deal with the Mavs with a player option on year two.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#1904 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:11 pm

criteriado wrote:Not the QO, I'm saying that he could sign a 2 year 20 million deal with the Mavs with a player option on year two.

We are already offering that and more.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#1905 » by guest81 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:15 pm

criteriado wrote:
Klomp wrote:
criteriado wrote:
The max in 2016 will be 23 million so I don't think he will get it. :lol: But in a 90 million cap, even with only little improvement he could get 13-14 mill.

I do think if he's a RFA this summer, he'll want a 2 yr contract with a player option after the first year and a lot of teams will want to give that type of contract when they're getting ready for the 2016 FA class and they don't want salary on their books.

I don't get this.

Instead of signing a max deal next summer, you think he would rather sign his qualifying offer and sign a deal starting at $5 million less than what he would make if he signed next summer? Makes no sense.

Not the QO, I'm saying that he could sign a 2 year 20 million deal with the Mavs with a player option on year two.

I'm almost positive that if you try to sign a RFA to an offer sheet, it has to be for at least 3 years.
criteriado
Assistant Coach

Post#1906 » by criteriado » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
criteriado wrote:Not the QO, I'm saying that he could sign a 2 year 20 million deal with the Mavs with a player option on year two.

We are already offering that and more.

Well, yeah. But the point of doing that is going to the market when the salary cap skyrockets and every team on the league has a ton of money to spend.
criteriado
Assistant Coach

Post#1907 » by criteriado » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:19 pm

guest81 wrote:
criteriado wrote:
Klomp wrote:
I don't get this.

I'm almost positive that if you try to sign a RFA to an offer sheet, it has to be for at least 3 years.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up . Still, if he doesn't want to be underpaid, there's a 97 million cap projected for 2017
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#1908 » by guest81 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:24 pm

criteriado wrote:
guest81 wrote:
criteriado wrote:

Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up . Still, if he doesn't want to be underpaid, there's a 97 million cap projected for 2017

Yea I think it keeps teams from signing Rubio to like a 1 year at some ungodly amount, then signing him to a better deal the year after. That might be risky idea for Rubio to wait until then because you know who else will be free agents? Like every star player
criteriado
Assistant Coach

Post#1909 » by criteriado » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:28 pm

guest81 wrote:
criteriado wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Yea I think it keeps teams from signing Rubio to like a 1 year at some ungodly amount, then signing him to a better deal the year after. That might be risky idea for Rubio to wait until then because you know who else will be free agents? Like every star player

Didn't Glen Taylor do this? :lol:
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#1910 » by Saltine » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:50 pm

guest81 wrote:I'm almost positive that if you try to sign a RFA to an offer sheet, it has to be for at least 3 years.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44
The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years).
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#1911 » by Saltine » Wed Oct 8, 2014 10:05 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... mberwolves

One of the newest (but also most veteran) Timberwolves players, Mo Williams, thinks Rubio has started to take those steps. “From the time I’ve been here, he’s taken that level,” Williams said on the first day of Wolves training camp. “Yesterday he was reading a book on the way up here and it was in a language I can’t read so I said, ‘What kind of book is that?’ And he said, ‘It’s a book on how to be more aggressive and lead and things like that.’ That lets you know it’s in his mental. He wants to lead and he’s in a great position now. It’s not, ‘Whose team is it?’ It’s his team.”
Feilong
Veteran
And1: 1,029

Post#1912 » by Feilong » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Good bad ugly?
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1913 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Feilong wrote:

Good bad ugly?

That J looks legit. Too bad he doesn't have it in his muscle memory yet. If he did, he'd shoot like that in-game as well. He returns to his old habits in-game, and it is very hard to change your shot mechanics at this age. But let's hope Rubio can pull it off.

IMO improving his jumper is not a must, but reworking his drives to a say Livingstonesque way could be key in him improving as a player.
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#1914 » by slinky » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm

It looks good, I have watched it for about 5 minutes now, and he has not missed one yet. :-)
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#1915 » by guest81 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Feilong wrote:

Good bad ugly?

Rubio's always has been a good practice shooter. It's when hes guarded and worn down after playing so hard is when he starts to run into trouble
Ashwinz.
Sixth Man
And1: 566

Post#1916 » by Ashwinz. » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm

The first one shown still has that hiccup/setup that he likes to use. The second one is more fluid, and is what he needs to practice 10,000 times a day.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#1917 » by TMo519 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 pm

The first one is a step up jumper, so probably harder to replicate whatever he's working on, versus the second which is a pure spot up shot. But to me, the form is worlds better from using his legs more, and getting better follow through plus a quicker release. I'm optimistic that more concentrated work throughout the year could prove beneficial over time, but it will be an adjustment in the meantime, meaning probably a lot of rough nights as he adapts.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1918 » by urinesane » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm

That shot looks much better, better balance, some air under his feet, and isn't launching the ball anymore.

Will take time to translate to games, but I expect it to develop throughout the season.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#1919 » by AQuintus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Feilong wrote:

Good bad ugly?

Wow. That form looks WAAAAY better than it used to, especially the spot up 3.

Edit:

compare that 3 point form to this: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlBItveEL0[/youtube]
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#1920 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 pm

If you watch the Bennett and Pekovic shootaround videos from today, you can see Rubio shooting in the background.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves