ImageImageImage

Rubio Thread Seis (VI)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#701 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 9:58 pm

Where's Ricky's game highlight video from the Lakers game? I only watched the first half. Didn't feel like staying up past midnight seeing yet another loss to the team I hate more than any other in all of pro sports.

Who usually posts those game highlight videos after each game?
Malato
Junior
And1: 4

Post#702 » by Malato » Fri Mar 1, 2013 10:25 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynWLQdN3rfI[/youtube]
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#703 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 11:03 pm

Malato wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynWLQdN3rfI

Gracias
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#704 » by Tirion » Sun Mar 3, 2013 11:38 pm

Athletes who tear an anterior cruciate ligament will inevitably face questions about whether they'll ever be the same.

In basketball, when players return from this injury, many of them definitely aren't the same: They're better—at least when it comes to the crucial area of midrange shooting.

Because the rehabilitation for the injury allows them to stand, but not to do anything vigorous, NBA players who suffer it find themselves making do by playing what amounts to an endless game of H-O-R-S-E.

Nene, a Washington Wizards center, was a 23.8% shooter from midrange before he tore his ACL in 2005. Since then, he's knocking down about 41% of his midrange attempts.

Before tearing his ACL in 2008 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers, Jason Smith shot a below-average 36% from midrange. Since returning, he's shot 45%, including 50.3% (78-for-155) this season playing for New Orleans. "It kind of gives you a laser focus on shooting, because it's really all you can work on for a while," said Smith. "Now, my midrange jumper is a big part of my game, where it really wasn't before."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... l?mod=e2tw

I know it's not cool to pick on Ricky, but what was he doing during rehab? It doesn't look like he was practicing his shooting, that's for sure.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#705 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Mar 3, 2013 11:52 pm

Well, those are terrible examples. Rubio shoots most of his jumpers off the dribble while bigs like Nene or Smith make open jumshoots off the catch. Shooting a jumper off the dribble is totallly different than shooting open shots which is more of a set shot than a jump shot anyway. I'd give Rubio another healthy summer before I write his jump shot off.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#706 » by The J Rocka » Sun Mar 3, 2013 11:54 pm

I've also wondered how Rubio spent his time during rehab. He was obviously doing the leg press and training with somebody in the weight room to get his strength back but it sure didn't seem like he was shooting 1000 jump shots each day out on the practice court. You would think if he had done that each day we would be seeing better results offensively. I hope he plans to focus more on his jump shot with his confidence & health being 100.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#707 » by NikolaPekovic » Mon Mar 4, 2013 1:07 am

The problem with rickys jumper is that its always flat. To fix that he needs to learn how to use his legs when he shoots. And i dont think he was able to get much lift recovering from surgery.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#708 » by cpfsf » Mon Mar 4, 2013 1:26 am

assume that the team is healthy (just pretend). wouldn't it make sense to have rubio come off the bench? it seems like a demotion, but i think he'd complement the bench players far more than he could ever with the starting lineup.

consider that budinger is a player who gets the vast majority of his points off assists. he's great in transition and amazing at catch and shoot situations. you can always rely on budinger to get an open look and he's obviously an amazing perimeter threat.

combine him with williams who openly discusses how rubio complements him as a player. williams likes to shoot and we can see right now how well they are working together. not my main argument, but rubio, budinger, and williams would result in some amazing dunks. it is probably a moot point since williams is always on the trade block, but he's been on the trading block since we had the #2 pick in the draft.

if you go that route, you could probably add two guards who can actually shoot in the starting lineup. love will still find ways to score, and better shooters would allow pekovic more room to operate down low. i'm going to go hide in my bunker now.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,886

Post#709 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:37 am

cpfsf wrote:assume that the team is healthy (just pretend). wouldn't it make sense to have rubio come off the bench? it seems like a demotion, but i think he'd complement the bench players far more than he could ever with the starting lineup.

consider that budinger is a player who gets the vast majority of his points off assists. he's great in transition and amazing at catch and shoot situations. you can always rely on budinger to get an open look and he's obviously an amazing perimeter threat.

combine him with williams who openly discusses how rubio complements him as a player. williams likes to shoot and we can see right now how well they are working together. not my main argument, but rubio, budinger, and williams would result in some amazing dunks. it is probably a moot point since williams is always on the trade block, but he's been on the trading block since we had the #2 pick in the draft.

if you go that route, you could probably add two guards who can actually shoot in the starting lineup. love will still find ways to score, and better shooters would allow pekovic more room to operate down low. i'm going to go hide in my bunker now.

I get the point you're trying to make, but you're forgetting that Love and Pekovic are also far better getting passes from someone like Rubio as well.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
BamBam9
Junior
And1: 11

Post#710 » by BamBam9 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 1:43 pm

He was unable to work his jump shot until mid October, this is no much time for a player like Ricky.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#711 » by C.lupus » Mon Mar 4, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah, kind of hard to work on your jump shot when you can't jump. :blank:
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#712 » by lobishome » Mon Mar 4, 2013 3:37 pm

Kurospidey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#713 » by Kurospidey » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:19 pm

What the hell is PFD?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by C.lupus » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:22 pm

Personal Fouls Drawn

or Personal Flotation Device
Kurospidey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#715 » by Kurospidey » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:25 pm

Ah hahah, scratching my head around this.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#716 » by cpfsf » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:57 pm

Klomp wrote:
cpfsf wrote:assume that the team is healthy (just pretend). wouldn't it make sense to have rubio come off the bench? it seems like a demotion, but i think he'd complement the bench players far more than he could ever with the starting lineup.

I get the point you're trying to make, but you're forgetting that Love and Pekovic are also far better getting passes from someone like Rubio as well.

i didn't forget. one day i just came to the conclusion that rubio can not play 48 mpg. that was without a doubt the worst day of my life.

obviously rubio can't play every minute. my thinking is that rubio can help the bench guys who are good shooters, but really need someone to set them up. kirilenko, love, and pekovic are big boys (figuratively and literally). they can take care of themselves.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#717 » by phonzadellika » Mon Mar 4, 2013 5:34 pm

I wish Ricky could shoot. We could put 4 zombies on the court next to him and he'd still get us to the playoffs.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#718 » by C.lupus » Mon Mar 4, 2013 5:41 pm

cpfsf wrote:
Klomp wrote:

i didn't forget. one day i just came to the conclusion that rubio can not play 48 mpg. that was without a doubt the worst day of my life.

obviously rubio can't play every minute. my thinking is that rubio can help the bench guys who are good shooters, but really need someone to set them up. kirilenko, love, and pekovic are big boys (figuratively and literally). they can take care of themselves.

Ricky is much more than setting up teammates, though. You can't take him out of the starting lineup because you need his defense against the top guards in the league. The answer is probably to find a lesser version of Ricky (i.e., pass-first pg) to replace Luke and JJ in the second unit.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#719 » by [RCG] » Mon Mar 4, 2013 6:10 pm

C.lupus wrote:Ricky is much more than setting up teammates, though. You can't take him out of the starting lineup because you need his defense against the top guards in the league. The answer is probably to find a lesser version of Ricky (i.e., pass-first pg) to replace Luke and JJ in the second unit.

Could probably get Kendall Marshall for relatively cheap.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#720 » by phonzadellika » Mon Mar 4, 2013 6:15 pm

[RCG] wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Ricky is much more than setting up teammates, though. You can't take him out of the starting lineup because you need his defense against the top guards in the league. The answer is probably to find a lesser version of Ricky (i.e., pass-first pg) to replace Luke and JJ in the second unit.

Could probably get Kendall Marshall for relatively cheap.

I really liked Kendall Marshall when he was at NC

Seems kinda busty in the NBA though although I've only seen him play twice.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves