ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#121 » by Tirion » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 am

Do you remember the Wes Johnson for Evan Turner trade scenarios?
Do you remember the actual Wes Johnson's trade?
Adjust expectations accordingly.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#122 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman is trying something new to determine if Derrick Williams is capable of doing his part in the team's efforts to compensate for Kevin Love's absence.

Adelman plans to start Williams in the Wolves' next exhibition game Wednesday night, Oct. 24, against the Detroit Pistons in Winnipeg.

Adelman hopes that additional playing time for Williams will translate into more rebounds, better decision-making with the ball and more intensity at both ends of the court.

"He has to get more aggressive," Adelman said after practice Monday. "We talked about that with him today. He's playing hard, but he can't just be a spectator on offense. He has to be a factor for us."

The urgency in Adelman's tone reflects how important it is for the Wolves to see Williams improve at a time when the team will go the next six to eight weeks without Love, its all-star power forward. Perhaps more than any other front-line Wolves player, Williams is facing the most scrutiny in the aftermath of Love fracturing two bones in his right hand last week while doing knuckle push-ups at his home.

To help with the process, Adelman is shifting versatile Andrei Kirilenko to power forward, leaving Williams to concentrate on the small forward position while Love is out. Dante Cunningham, a limited scorer, will be used primarily as a backup to Kirilenko at power forward.

Once he develops a comfort zone with Adelman's corner offense, the Wolves believe Williams is capable of becoming an impact player. Adelman said Monday that Williams has been "more consistent" with his defense, a major concern of the coaching staff last season.

"If he uses his quickness and the gifts he has offensively, he can attack pretty good," Adelman said. "He has to understand who's guarding him and how to attack a guy the best way he can. The talent is there. He just has to keep working at it, and we have to find ways to put him in positions where he can succeed."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_218 ... rting-shot
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
nate44
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#123 » by nate44 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 am

sick

thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#124 » by thomas1897 » Sun Nov 4, 2012 12:26 pm

Derrick Williams value has increased due to the injury to Kevin Love; this is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his skills and talent playing both forward positions to illustrate his skill set to the timberwolves management and fans. Missed opportunities can be a detriment to a player's development. Now is the time Derrick to show the fans I am a very good talent that can play 30-35 minutes a game at either forward position without any loss of momentum to the team. Michael Beasley was a give away instead of a trade away that could have gotten draft picks or players. The management has redeem themselves because of Derrick Williams, Krilenko, and Roy who have shown up to play. Minnesota has much more work to do on the agenda but it has began the process and it has to continue with the addition of good complementary talent to the nucleus of this team.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#125 » by Tirion » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:32 am

Start Dante CunningHAM.

Caged Lion isn't gonna get it.
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#126 » by Busch Legion » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:44 am

I'm about over it. He may thrive somewhere else, but its not here. Send him to ATL for Josh Smith... or SAC for Evans or something...... something.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#127 » by Piecake » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:50 am

We should trade him before Love gets back because I dont want him getting minutes over Cunningham or simply rotting on the bench.

Williams and Ridnour for something. hell, ill take cap space to sign Pek
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#128 » by LordBaldric » Tue Nov 6, 2012 8:09 am

I've been saying it for a long time. D-Will is a bum.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#129 » by NikolaPekovic » Tue Nov 6, 2012 12:08 pm

i have come to the conclusion that everything about this guys game is a myth.

he has no handle. no shot.

hes basically a less athletic blake griffin who tries to be a wing player. at least blake sticks to what hes good at.
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#130 » by Nanogeek » Tue Nov 6, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm seeing people propose Derrick Williams for Iguodala or Josh Smith. These are not even remotely sensible trades.

Why trade a known quantity for a player whose max ceiling might be that known quantity.

Love's injury is a chance to see what Williams would do playing his natural 4 position. Its only been 3 games so far but the results have been mixed.

Williams has had decent production per minute - averaging 8.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in 21.7 mpg. But he is shooting 29% shooting from the field. Also, Adelman isn't playing him as much as he could be which is worrying.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#131 » by C.lupus » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:03 pm

NikolaPekovic wrote:i have come to the conclusion that everything about this guys game is a myth.

he has no handle. no shot.

hes basically a less athletic blake griffin who tries to be a wing player. at least blake sticks to what hes good at.

I wish he had more Blake Griffin in him. If he would go hard to the rim and try to slam it more often he would be more effective. He just is in love with his little Euro bunny hop thing which forces him to make an acrobatic shot attempt (or get the ball stripped).
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#132 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:08 pm

Once Love is back I would trade DW for Vesely who is more of a project that won't require a lot of pt right away and can develop into AK's replacement eventually.

Plus he fits our culture :wink:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#133 » by Worm Guts » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:18 pm

I feel like the time to trade Williams has passed, unless he starts to play better we're not going to get much in return.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#134 » by lobishome » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:20 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:Once Love is back I would trade DW for Vesely who is more of a project that won't require a lot of pt right away and can develop into AK's replacement eventually.

Plus he fits our culture :wink:

:-?

1) For now DW is better player (and younger)

2) Why do you want Vesely if you have Bjelica?

3) Vesely has a good body for be dominant in Europe, but the NBA is other matter. He must demonstrates he has another skills.

and 4)
    Ricky Barea Ridnour

Roy Shved Ridnour Bud

AK Bud DW (Bjelica)

Love DW Dante AK (Bjelica)

Pekovic Stiemsma Amundson

Chorus : Lee Conroy
We must trade DW and get a SG, not another SF/PF.
HappyTree
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#135 » by HappyTree » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:29 pm

Trade D-will and Luke for Verajao :D
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#136 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I feel like the time to trade Williams has passed, unless he starts to play better we're not going to get much in return.

But his salary is too much for what he brings to the table. I'd take salary dump plus a protacted pick. I'd wait till Love return to give him his last chance here and if no improvement I would ship him for an EC and a pick, something like Matt Carroll and Blazers(or Pistons) pick from Charlotte. We will need some financial flexibility soon and trade like this gives us just that.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#137 » by Worm Guts » Tue Nov 6, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm not all that concerned with the salary, he's only guaranteed through next year if we don't pick up the option and I don't think we're below the salary cap or in the luxury tax either way.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#138 » by theGreatRC » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:04 pm

I'd rather just keep him. Imagining K-Love starting with Cunningham off the bench and D-Will taking some spot minutes at the 3-4 without heavy expectations would make this bench deep. It is only THREE games after all, we don't need to react so hard.

The thing that has been killing me these past three games has been his soft finishes at the rim? I thought he was an athletic dunker, he plays like he has Eddy Curry's body type out there.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#139 » by Krapinsky » Tue Nov 6, 2012 5:17 pm

Williams needs to play off Rubio or Shved. He doesn't fair too well playing with Barea or Ridnour where he's asked to create his own shot. Right now he's shooting horrible %'s (29% from the field) through 3 games, yet he still has a 15.2 PER, so I think there's some room for optimism still. On the downside, having lost weigh his tweeneritis seems even worse this year, as he's not able to finish through length or contact at the rim.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#140 » by eyeteeth » Tue Nov 6, 2012 5:21 pm

Derrick is on a knife's edge right now. AK, Dante Cunningham and Chase Budinger look great out there. Love will be healthy soon. If DW doesn't start getting the ball in the hoop, he's going to start collecting DNP - Coach's Decisions.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves