ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#381 » by Nitroglycerin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Ellis?
Trust the PRosas!
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#382 » by Basti » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 pm

gamer4Life wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:
Bargnani is extremely underrated. He'll be your sparkplug off the bench, and can act as insurance in case Love gets injured.

We have insurance invested in Cunningham & Williams already so no reason to take on that bad contract. Bargs is having one of his worst seasons ever. A big that cannot shoot, cannot score inside, cannot play defense, and cannot rebound. He makes Brook Lopez look like Kevin Love.

I'm pretty sure Raps fans hate his guts and would dump him for an expiring in a heartbeat.

Calderon for Williams + Roy?

No thanks. We don't need another point guard with horrible defense.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 1,998

Post#383 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 am

Kahn touch this wrote:Ellis?

Ellis would be a nice idea. I like him a lot more then most. He isn't a great outside shooter so having him with AK and Rubio isn't ideal...but I would take the gamble because we need a player who can score on the wing. Ellis will most likely be a free agent though.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#384 » by cpfsf » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 am

if he would accept coming off the bench...

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,824

Post#385 » by shrink » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:59 am

gamer4Life wrote: Calderon for Williams + Roy?

WILLIAMS and Roy? No - at $11.6 mil after trade kicker, Calderon doesn't have that kind of value.

Heck, majority here won't do Ridnour and Roy.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,503

Post#386 » by Klomp » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 am

Of course not.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#387 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:55 am

Slackstring701 wrote:Yo ... Im a diehard Raps fan, but I am also a very big Wolves fan. Always root for them out west.

As much as I like DeMar ... I would definately be intrested in seeing some sort of trade revolving around DeRozan for Williams.

Terrence Ross is looking like he is going to have a very bright future, making DeMar redundant, and we are absolutely starving for a half decent SF.

I've watched a lot of Williams this past year and a bit, and I'm still not sold he can be a long term SF, but I would be abslutely willing to give him the chance to play 30+ minutes there.

I don't what you guys think about that, but it was just something I was mulling over ...

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it. He could either start, and Shved comes off bench, or other way around. Plus DeRozan could play some minutes at SF.
shrink
RealGM

Post#388 » by shrink » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
Slackstring701 wrote:Yo ... Im a diehard Raps fan, but I am also a very big Wolves fan. Always root for them out west.

As much as I like DeMar ... I would definately be intrested in seeing some sort of trade revolving around DeRozan for Williams.

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

$38 mil for four years? We're not the Lakers here. We can't make a giant investment like this on a guy that has never been close to worth that much money.

And what would we trade to make it even? We don't have a bad contract that starts when Derozan's contract starts.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#389 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 pm

shrink wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

$38 mil for four years? We're not the Lakers here. We can't make a giant investment like this on a guy that has never been close to worth that much money.

And what would we trade to make it even? We don't have a bad contract that starts when Derozan's contract starts.

A third team would be needed. Barea and DWill for DD and filler (ideally expiring contract filler).
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#390 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:56 pm

I'd like a SG who can shoot a little bit.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#391 » by tviper » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:32 pm

apologies for the laziness of not wading through 25 pages, but interested if any Laker players would be of interest for DWill (outside of the top 4, obviously). For example, would Hill be a fit? Some combination of out-of-rotation wings (Ebanks, Clark, Jamison)? Perhaps not, but haven't watched any MIN games this year yet to assess the roster needs. Thx.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#392 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Sorry, you don't have any picks which would be the main asset coming back otherwise a Hill + Meeks + 1st for Williams would've been something to build from.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM

Post#393 » by shrink » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:34 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
shrink wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

A third team would be needed. Barea and DWill for DD and filler (ideally expiring contract filler).

I don't think you're understanding me. Suppose MIN trades Williams for Derozan

In 2012-13 .. MIN WINS
In 2013-14 .. Williams + $4.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2014-15 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2015-16 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2016-17 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.

Because most teams are limited to a salary under the lux, they need to at least get market value out of their players to be a play-off team. To be a true contender, they need to get excellent value out of how they spend their money - generally that means superstars. MIN can't lock into Derozan at $9.5 mil, and hope he improves enough to reach a .. say .. 20% chance that he's worth $9.5 mil.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,630

Post#394 » by Skin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Straight up for JJ Redick.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
shrink
RealGM

Post#395 » by shrink » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Skin wrote:Straight up for JJ Redick.

Great fit, but can't do it, because he's an expiring UFA.

If MIN gave up Williams in the deal, they could watch Redick scoot right back to ORL this summer. Even if we knew we could re-sign him, it might be at the expense of Pekovic or Buddinger.

I'd do a deal for Afflalo because he's locked in for multiple years, but Redick's deal should make him untradable for Williams right now. Even if they love Redick and are willing to sacrifice someone next year to afford him, then they should keep Williams, find a short-term solution for the rest of the year (Rip?), and offer Redick the full MLE this summer.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,503

Post#396 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am

shrink wrote:

If MIN gave up Williams in the deal, they could watch Redick scoot right back to ORL this summer. Even if we knew we could re-sign him, it might be at the expense of Pekovic or Buddinger.

I'd do a deal for Afflalo because he's locked in for multiple years, but Redick's deal should make him untradable for Williams right now. Even if they love Redick and are willing to sacrifice someone next year to afford him, then they should keep Williams, find a short-term solution for the rest of the year (Rip?), and offer Redick the full MLE this summer.

Orlando won't do it straight up for Redick, much less Afflalo.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Skin
RealGM

Post#397 » by Skin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:38 am

shrink wrote:

By trading for Redick you will get his Bird Rights and be willing to offer him more than his competitors. Plus, you can keep him and still use your MLE elsewhere if you wanted.

There's absolutely no way ORL gives up AA for D-Will.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
shrink
RealGM

Post#398 » by shrink » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 am

Skin wrote:
shrink wrote:

By trading for Redick you will get his Bird Rights and be willing to offer him more than his competitors. Plus, you can keep him and still use your MLE elsewhere if you wanted.

Oh - so if we overpay for him now, we have the chance to overpay for him this summer - even though he could take any deal and go wherever he wanted? We had two players take lesser money to go to other locations last year. And as I pointed out, if we want to pay for him this summer, we can offer him the MLE - which is fair for a SG of his skill. If he doesn't take it, then we spend it on a different, fairly-priced player.

Also, notice that if we are paying Redick, it probably means we don't have the money to pay Budinger, wasting the #16 pick we gave up for him. I don't think it's reasonable to assume Glen Taylor will go so far into the lux that he'll give Redick a big deal he won't walk away from - same for Pek - and STILL use the MLE.

Finally, I did not say I wanted ORL to do a Derrick Williams for Affalo deal straight up. I have consistently said in many threads that it'd take Williams plus something to get Afflalo.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#399 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 am

Stephen jackson?
Trust the PRosas!
Skin
RealGM

Post#400 » by Skin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 pm

shrink wrote:
Skin wrote:
shrink wrote:

Oh - so if we overpay for him now, we have the chance to overpay for him this summer - even though he could take any deal and go wherever he wanted? We had two players take lesser money to go to other locations last year. And as I pointed out, if we want to pay for him this summer, we can offer him the MLE - which is fair for a SG of his skill. If he doesn't take it, then we spend it on a different, fairly-priced player.

Also, notice that if we are paying Redick, it probably means we don't have the money to pay Budinger, wasting the #16 pick we gave up for him. I don't think it's reasonable to assume Glen Taylor will go so far into the lux that he'll give Redick a big deal he won't walk away from - same for Pek - and STILL use the MLE.

Finally, I did not say I wanted ORL to do a Derrick Williams for Affalo deal straight up. I have consistently said in many threads that it'd take Williams plus something to get Afflalo.

Do you see Redick leaving the TWolves for a better situation? How many teams out there will let him start? Of those teams, how many have the cap space to spend on him? You seem to have an idea that you will lose him in the offseason. But I'm trying to think of reasons why he would.

How are you coming up with the idea that your cap would exceed the luxury tax? This year it was around $70M.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves