ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Mediocrity
Sixth Man
And1: 596

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#61 » by Mediocrity » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:25 am

Raotors fan here. I am in a continual fantasy league, and am considering taking a risk and trading for Williams. What is your guys opinion on him? Can he be a star down the road if he was put in a different situation? What do you think his ceiling is? Will he forever be a tweener? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
picc wrote:If the Lakers get Dragic, a championship is back on the table for this season. He's that good, and we're that close.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#62 » by NikolaPekovic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 am

meh i he will struggle to even get playing time this year. he has a better chance of being the backup pf behind love. i see something like 12-7 or something.... dont think he will be a sf, just a stretch pf with handle.

he will be a good player down the road, just not with us imo
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach
And1: 176

Post#63 » by fraanciiscoo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 pm

What you guys expect from him this year ? Do you really think he will have PT ? Will AK affect him ?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,809

Post#64 » by Klomp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 pm

fraanciiscoo wrote:What you guys expect from him this year ? Do you really think he will have PT ? Will AK affect him ?

I actually think he and AK could work well together at the 3/4 for good stretches.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#65 » by Narf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Klomp wrote:
fraanciiscoo wrote:What you guys expect from him this year ? Do you really think he will have PT ? Will AK affect him ?

I actually think he and AK could work well together at the 3/4 for good stretches.

Agreed. Love/Kirilenko/Williams is about as good as it gets for a smallball front court.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#66 » by theGreatRC » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm really disappointed that we haven't heard anything all summer (except SL) about D-Will.

That doesn't mean he's not working hard though, just sucks not to see it on camera.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#67 » by LaViggins » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
Leftover Bill Bayno note: he said D-Will will open camp almost exclusively at the 3. Needs the defensive work vs AK-47, Chase, etc. #twolves
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#68 » by Mattya » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm still really high on him. He had a lot of adjusting in his first year. I really like the tools he has though. I think he is someone who you could mold into a good player. I'm happy he was working with Bayno and with the guy Kevin Love works out with this summer. Now especially playing with a guys like Kirilenko and Brandon Roy hopefully he picks up on what makes those guys successful and tries to add some things to his game. I think like that tweet says he will be tested everyday against AK47 on both sides of the ball, which will only help him learn. I'm really glad he hasn't been moved.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,809

Post#69 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm really excited about some of the lineups we can put on the floor. I'd be surprised if we ever see a Williams/Love/Pek front court, bu could easily see us use Williams with either Kirilenko or Cunningham at the other forward, with Love or Pek at center. I think both AK and Dante are great complements to Derrick's game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM

Post#70 » by Mattya » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Same here. Williams, AK47, Love or Williams, AK47, Pek are both really nice lineups. AK47 opens up so many options for the lineups. I think his ability to pass is really going to be big for the team with Rubio's. The passes Kirilenko makes to bigs when he cuts are going to be huge for Pek, Love and Williams.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#71 » by lobishome » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 pm

He stays here :wavefinger:

eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#72 » by eyeteeth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Twolves_42 wrote:Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson
Leftover Bill Bayno note: he said D-Will will open camp almost exclusively at the 3. Needs the defensive work vs AK-47, Chase, etc. #twolves

Good catch. Everything I have seen this offseason is about how serious they are about getting DW to the 3. If it works, it's huge.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#73 » by Mattya » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:03 pm

eyeteeth wrote:

Good catch. Everything I have seen this offseason is about how serious they are about getting DW to the 3. If it works, it's huge.

I agree it would be huge for our future. Let Williams develop and learn behind AK47.
LaViggins
Senior
And1: 140

Post#74 » by LaViggins » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm

eyeteeth wrote:

Oh yeah, I feel like people have already forgot about him haha.

Update: DWill down 14 Lbs from last season, played at 247 is now at 233.

Mark Remme ‏@MarkRemme
Spoke with D-Will about his offseason training. Lost 4 lbs since Summer League, working a lot on drawing contact driving to the lane.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#75 » by jax98 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Bulls won't do Deng for Williams, let alone throw in a pick.

Having said that, there is no reason for you guys to ship him out. He is in the perfect learning situation this season. Full training camp, going up against Kirilenko (defense, movement, timing) and Love (rebounding, positioning, shooting) in practice every day. That's going to make him better.

Most likely, he'll play less this season. But I'm guessing his per minute effectiveness jumps. He's athletic, he can read the floor quite well when he's not too eager to make a play and he's actually got terrific defensive instincts, again, when he allows himself to slow down and taste the game.

His 15/9 game in 24 minutes against the Clippers was one of the games I saw from him, where I saw a guy that could do something along those lines consistently. Obviously not 15/9 in 24 minutes, but the effort. He was taking, and hitting, the outside jumper when the opportunity presented itself. He drove to the hole aggressively and consistently when he had the lane. He boxed out, timed his jumps and made a difference. He even looked good defensively, constantly shadowing the passing lanes.

Realistically, you guys could get high production out of him. It's just a question of making him understand where he's successful. If he's given about 20 minutes a game, he could be a terrific guy backing up both forward slots with his versatility. Granted, in the long run, he should start. So after AK has played out his contract, D-Will should be ready.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#76 » by C.lupus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Twolves_42 wrote:
Mark Remme ‏@MarkRemme
Spoke with D-Will about his offseason training. Lost 4 lbs since Summer League, working a lot on drawing contact driving to the lane.

That will be huge for him if he can master that. So many times, including Summer League, I wanted to bang my head into the wall watching him do the Euro stutter step with an extra flip in that missed most of the time. Just go in straight and strong and get the foul.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#77 » by lobishome » Wed Oct 3, 2012 9:56 am

A little bird has said that Williams's form is awesome. :thumbsup:
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#78 » by cpfsf » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:42 am

C.lupus wrote:
Twolves_42 wrote:
Mark Remme ‏@MarkRemme

That will be huge for him if he can master that. So many times, including Summer League, I wanted to bang my head into the wall watching him do the Euro stutter step with an extra flip in that missed most of the time. Just go in straight and strong and get the foul.

He appears to be as prepared as he can possibly be for the small forward position, so hopefully he doesn't drastically fluctuate his weight much more. My biggest criticism that he simply wasn't aggressive or confident enough. The team really needs to stop settling for those long 2s. They also need to start making more of their 3s if they're going to attempt so many.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#79 » by theGreatRC » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:54 am

I had two issues with D-Will last year:

His defense and his finesse approach at taking the ball to the rim..he always had at least 1 or 2 awkward looking layups per game.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Yes We Kahn
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#80 » by Yes We Kahn » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:54 am

C.lupus wrote:
Twolves_42 wrote:
Mark Remme ‏@MarkRemme

I thought I read somewhere that he put a little weight back on because he "felt weak" in summer league

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves