ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,577

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#261 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Esohny wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Would you trade him straight up for an expiring contract?

A productive expiring, or a garbage expiring?

A very necessary distinction.

JJ Redick? Yes.
Daniel Gibson? No.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#262 » by Krapinsky » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Would you trade him straight up for an expiring contract?

If the expiring came with Bird Rights i would.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,471

Post#263 » by Worm Guts » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:53 am

For the sake of argument, let's say a garbage player. A trade where we're just trying to clear Derrick's contract.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#264 » by Piecake » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 am

Worm Guts wrote:For the sake of argument, let's say a garbage player. A trade where we're just trying to clear Derrick's contract.

If we cant sign Pekovic and Bud without dumping Dwill's contract, then yes. Though fairly certain we can sign both by getting rid of Ridnour and Roy's contract being voided/retired
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#265 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 am

i would never have thought it'd come to this, but seeing what the market was for Wes (an unexpected reality check for me personally) and considering three separate 8 digit contracts on the team next year if we want to keep Pekovic, I don't think we'd have a choice but to take an expiring if given the opportunity. On top of that, Taylor is trying to sell the team and its unlikely any buyer is going to be interested in holding out hope for Williams' potential.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#266 » by Tirion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:i would never have thought it'd come to this, but seeing what the market was for Wes (an unexpected reality check for me personally) and considering three separate 8 digit contracts on the team next year if we want to keep Pekovic, I don't think we'd have a choice but to take an expiring if given the opportunity. On top of that, Taylor is trying to sell the team and its unlikely any buyer is going to be interested in holding out hope for Williams' potential.

yep, that's the reality.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,970

Post#267 » by shrink » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Piecake wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:For the sake of argument, let's say a garbage player. A trade where we're just trying to clear Derrick's contract.

If we cant sign Pekovic and Bud without dumping Dwill's contract, then yes. Though fairly certain we can sign both by getting rid of Ridnour and Roy's contract being voided/retired

That is no longer the case. If we say Roy is gone, we don't need much extra cap room to stay under the lux and do the four things we probably want: Resign Pek and Buddinger, afford our/MEM's 1st, and have enough money to offer the full MLE.

Derrick Williams is worth more than a garbage expiring. He still has a chance (though a slim chance) of using his athleticism and becoming a legitimate NBA player. I personally think he has more value to a rebuilding team than Reddick's expiring as well, since teams like that should be more comfortable taking big risks.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#268 » by shrink » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I was curious about people's views to this statement:

Ayatollah wrote:Williams is a "poor man´s Josh Smith"
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#269 » by C.lupus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:12 pm

shrink wrote:I was curious about people's views to this statement:

Ayatollah wrote:Williams is a "poor man´s Josh Smith"

If by "poor man's Josh Smith" he means similar scoring and rebounding without the all-round game and defense of Smith, then I'd probably agree with that.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#270 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

If/when he completely shakes off the reflex of driving to the basket every time he gets the ball in the offense, he will be nba material. A player can do that in college with that athleticism, but not in the NBA.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#271 » by Krapinsky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm definitely not to the point where I would dump D-Will for a garbage contract. i would want an asset or someone that would help us this year.

I want to see what happens when Rubio gets back. It might open up a lot of things for a lot of players.

shrink
RealGM

Post#272 » by shrink » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Here's a copy of the sketchy rumor:

RTM wrote:I saw this on the Detroit Board. This is coming from (wait for it) a bilingual Sports TV and radio host out of LA named Erika Garza's twitter account, and then picked up by a Swedish site:

https://twitter.com/MsErikaGarza

Lakers would get: Trevor Ariza, Derrick Williams, J Jerebko, & JJ Barea, Minn. would get Gasol & Kim English, Wizards would get Duhon &...

N. Pekovic from Minn. & C Villanueva from Pistons, Pistons would get Emeka Okafor... #TradeRumors

http://basketsverige.se/article/1376354 ... a-i-lakers (not in English)

DET Sends: Charlie Villanueva, Jonas Jerebko, Kim English
DET Gets: Emeka Okafor

LA Sends: Pau Gasol, Chris Duhon
LA Gets: Trevor Ariza, Derrick Williams, Jonas Jerebko, J.J. Barea

MIN Sends: Nikola Pekovic, Derrick Williams, J.J. Barea
MIN Gets: Pau Gasol, Kim English

WAS Sends: Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza
WAS Gets: Nikola Pekovic, Charlie Villanueva, Chris Duhon

Works financially, but this is BS. It doesn't really make sense, particularly for the Lakers. Slow news day - figured I'd post.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#273 » by Krapinsky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:02 am

^^Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me at all. There's just been too much Pau smoke since Adelman got here.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#274 » by AQuintus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 am

Krapinsky wrote:^^Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me at all. There's just been too much Pau smoke since Adelman got here.

It would surprise me quite a bit, since, you know, it's really awful for Minnesota.
shrink
RealGM

Post#275 » by shrink » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 am

I find it very surprising for three of the four teams.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#276 » by Krapinsky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 am

AQuintus wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:^^Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me at all. There's just been too much Pau smoke since Adelman got here.

It would surprise me quite a bit, since, you know, it's really awful for Minnesota.

Pau gets a bad rap. He's a center asked to play PF and guard perimeter players. He's much better than he's shown the last two seasons playing out of position and I think front office execs recognize that.

He's also a better fit in Adelman's offense than probably any big man in the entire league.

C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#277 » by C.lupus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am

What part of "we don't have a starting quality shooting guard" gets addressed in this trade? We don't need a slight upgrade at center. When your car is missing four wheels you don't spend your money on a new paint job.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#278 » by Esohny » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:50 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJQEl5vcAo[/youtube]
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#279 » by Krapinsky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 am

C.lupus wrote:What part of "we don't have a starting quality shooting guard" gets addressed in this trade? We don't need a slight upgrade at center. When your car is missing four wheels you don't spend your money on a new paint job.

Maybe we get Jordan Crawford somehow? He's got a 15 + PER this year. Not too bad.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#280 » by AQuintus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Pau gets a bad rap. He's a center asked to play PF and guard perimeter players. He's much better than he's shown the last two seasons playing out of position and I think front office execs recognize that.

The same things could be said about Derrick Williams very easily, and yet people, rightfully, realize that his underwhelming, non-hypothetical, on court performances do drop his trade value. And Williams isn't even being paid 19 million dollars a year.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves