ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#241 » by southern wolf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 am

Piecake wrote:
Klomp wrote:Williams/Ridnour to Orlando seems most plausible. Either for Afflalo or Redick.

I would love either deal

The problem is Orlando wouldn't. Davis is their best player at the moment, so they're not going to trade Afflalo or Redick for an average PF.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#242 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:Boston trades C.LEE for STIEMSMA & CRAWFORD

Minny trades D.WILLIAMS, STIEMSMA, MALCOLM LEE for SERAPHIN, VESELY & C. LEE

Washington trades SERAPHIN, VESELY & CRAWFORD for D.WILLIAMS & MALCOLM LEE

I can't think of a single reason why Washington would do that deal other than Ernie Grunfeld.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#243 » by lobishome » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:24 pm

I think we must not trade him until Rubio returns. I've read at the Spanish media they were working together trying to find the way for increase the Derrick's BBIQ.

FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#244 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

lobishome wrote:I think we must not trade him until Rubio returns. I've read at the Spanish media they were working together trying to find the way for increase the Derrick's BBIQ.

I'd want him to stay if he wasn't the only one we could sacrifice for an Affalo-like SG. We need that SG badly.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#245 » by Swish4 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 pm

I'll go on record as saying that D-Will is ready for a breakout very soon. I like what I've seen from him the last few games defensively and his awareness . I think when his shot starts falling (which it seems to be getting better) With better spacing and Ricky back I can see his game really taking off soon.
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#246 » by champalift » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm

WesJ4 wrote:I'll go on record as saying that D-Will is ready for a breakout very soon. I like what I've seen from him the last few games defensively and his awareness . I think when his shot starts falling (which it seems to be getting better) With better spacing and Ricky back I can see his game really taking off soon.

You mean 2 of the last 3 he didn't play in? I hope you are right, but I don't buy it at this point.

I say move him and JJ for best available package that includes a 2 guard.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#247 » by [RCG] » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 pm

champalift wrote:
WesJ4 wrote:I'll go on record as saying that D-Will is ready for a breakout very soon. I like what I've seen from him the last few games defensively and his awareness . I think when his shot starts falling (which it seems to be getting better) With better spacing and Ricky back I can see his game really taking off soon.

You mean 2 of the last 3 he didn't play in? I hope you are right, but I don't buy it at this point.

He played well in limited minutes the last game. Very well. I don't know why he didn't get more burn.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#248 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Derrick is a PF. I think if we played with Rubio all that time that Love was out this and last season I think we would think of him differently. He has a skillset that matches Rubio well and he looked not bad up until Ricky's injury. With that said there's no room for him and Love on the same team. I think Derrick only makes sense if Love is gone but it's not going to happen atleast this season so Williams needs to move on. He's not going to develop behind Love and Adelman's favourite in Dante.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#249 » by Piecake » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 am

[RCG] wrote:
champalift wrote:

He played well in limited minutes the last game. Very well. I don't know why he didn't get more burn.

Because he started forcing it after a few shots went in
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#250 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm

It seems painfully obvious that Derrick's days are numbered in Minnesota. I sure hope Kahn is working on something that will become offical when Rubio is back or after Dec. 15 because it is ridiculous to have a #2 pick warming the bench while Malcolm Lee is starting at SG.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#251 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't know, I don't see any reason to trade him just to trade him and I'm skeptical we can get anything worthwhile back.
This was somewhat forseeable and we should have traded him in the offseason. It might be too late.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#252 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't know, I don't see any reason to trade him just to trade him and I'm skeptical we can get anything worthwhile back.
This was somewhat forseeable and we should have traded him in the offseason. It might be too late.

No doubt.

I'm still hopeful some combination of Williams, Ridnour, Barea, Roy, and/or MEM pick can bring in a decent SG. He doesn't have to be a star, just competent enough to start and not be a negative.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#253 » by tranjSAIC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Piecake wrote:
Klomp wrote:Williams/Ridnour to Orlando seems most plausible. Either for Afflalo or Redick.

I would love either deal

Redick would fit your "white boy" team... lol
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#254 » by tranjSAIC » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 pm

southern wolf wrote:
Piecake wrote:

I would love either deal

The problem is Orlando wouldn't. Davis is their best player at the moment, so they're not going to trade Afflalo or Redick for an average PF.

Can't speak for the GM, but as a fan I would.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#255 » by Esohny » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't know, I don't see any reason to trade him just to trade him and I'm skeptical we can get anything worthwhile back.

Well, there's always his $6 million cap hit. I agree with your 2nd point, though. Although you say "the offseason," I say "immediately following the draft pick."
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#256 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Esohny wrote:

Well, there's always his $6 million cap hit. I agree with your 2nd point, though. Although you say "the offseason," I say "immediately following the draft pick."

I don't think the cap hit is much of an issue outside of Glen Taylor's pocketbook. Since Roy's contract is likely to be voided, we should have enough money to pay Pek.

As far as when to trade him, a bad fit is one thing but it should have became a more desperate situation once we realized he couldn't play.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#257 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 pm

even if he has it in him to break out any second now, I don't see it happening on this team considering the number of proven forwards we can put out there. If he consistently plays really well, his ceiling is maybe 20 mpg considering the entrenchment of the starting forwards, and even getting to that point seems unlikely right now. If we can get anything w/o having to go Wes J on the situation and fork over a 1st rounder, we need to take it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#258 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Would you trade him straight up for an expiring contract?
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#259 » by Jukeness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Would you trade him straight up for an expiring contract?

If he's going to rot on the bench then why not?
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#260 » by Esohny » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Would you trade him straight up for an expiring contract?

A productive expiring, or a garbage expiring?
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves