yardbarker

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes : 131

Post#286 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 4, 2012 12:47 am by younggunsmn

If we could have Wes Matthews for Derrick Williams Kahn would do it and run away giggling like a little girl.
Aint going to happen.

And yes there is still a ton of bad blood with Portland. They tried to F Batum financially by limiting his PT/shots the year before and we helped him call them on it. Damn he would look great here right now.
younggunsmn
Analyst
And1: 20

Post#287 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:58 am by southern wolf

younggunsmn wrote:If we could have Wes Matthews for Derrick Williams Kahn would do it and run away giggling like a little girl.
Aint going to happen.

And yes there is still a ton of bad blood with Portland. They tried to F Batum financially by limiting his PT/shots the year before and we helped him call them on it. Damn he would look great here right now.

I agree Portland wouldn't trade Matthews for Williams, but I'm not too upset we missed out on Batum. Partly because of the cash we would have had to pay him and partly because of AK's great play.
southern wolf

Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#288 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 4, 2012 1:12 pm by cpfsf

BrooklynBulls wrote:Derrick Williams for Wes Matthews?

Matthews is 2 way SG who can shoot and plays a great floor game.

Williams gives the rebuilding Blazers a bench 3/4 that can actually score, unlike the rest of their bench, and is a young prospect compared to the established but peaked player Matthews is.

Edit: you think there's still bad blood regarding Portland and the Wolves? Or is it bygones be bygones?

if there is bad blood, it's because the wolves are still mad about webster affair while the blazers are are mad with the contract offered to batum.

this is speculation, but the blazers might be annoyed with the timberwolves after they offered contracts to brandon roy, tom penn, and bill bayno.

i'd rank it as being unlikely
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 362

Post#289 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 pm by Klomp

“@APkrawczynski: I'll say this for Derrick Williams: he's handled this situation about 100 times more professionally than most high draft picks would.”

“@APkrawczynski: Derrick Williams: "I just have to do with what I have. If I get 10 minutes, I get 10 minutes and I just try and do what I can with that."”
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,338

Post#290 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 pm by Calinks

Happy someone has brought this up. A lot of number two's wouldn't act like this. Look at Royce White, I know he g=has other issues but he is vocal as hell.If this was happening to people in 2k12, they would be cussing 2K and their virtual coach out lol.

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
RealGM
And1: 940

Post#291 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 am by Swish4

One thing Williams needs to work on is a pump fake. I think he's a 4 and only a 4. He's quicker than most PF in the league and needs to work on taking advantage of that. A good pump fake and a good pullup midrange jumper would do wonders for solving his offensive woes IMO.
Swish4
Rookie
And1: 171

Post#292 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 am by Beezer

WesJ4 wrote:One thing Williams needs to work on is a pump fake. I think he's a 4 and only a 4. He's quicker than most PF in the league and needs to work on taking advantage of that. A good pump fake and a good pullup midrange jumper would do wonders for solving his offensive woes IMO.

I agree. With his quickness, he could be deadly at the 4 with a good pump fake. Driving to the basket in general would help his offense.
Beezer
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#293 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 am by Tirion

Klomp wrote:
“@APkrawczynski: I'll say this for Derrick Williams: he's handled this situation about 100 times more professionally than most high draft picks would.”

“@APkrawczynski: Derrick Williams: "I just have to do with what I have. If I get 10 minutes, I get 10 minutes and I just try and do what I can with that."”

Darko was quiet, so was Thabeet.

Guys like Royce White are exception, not the norm.

The unwritten rule of the NBA is that if you are a rookie or a 2/3d year player, you need to STFU. Only vets are allowed to complain publically.
Tirion
Analyst
And1: 102

Post#294 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 am by southern wolf

Klomp wrote:

We've drafted plenty of nice guys who haven't cut it. I would love nothing more than for him to transform into our SF of the future, but it ain't going to happen.
southern wolf

Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#295 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 am by the_bruce

Everyone is so down on dwill. He's actually played fairly well recently. His defense is much improved this season. He can get to the line, is shooting the 3 well, and is rebounding.

He needs to work on his ft shooting, avoid the turnovers, finishing in traffic in the 3-9 foot range, and as mentioned earlier a pump fake would do his game a world of good.

I still think he can transition to the 3 because he has a 3's game offensively. I believe he can guard most 3's too. He's clearly a stretch 4 in MNs offensive scheme.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#296 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 am by Worm Guts

southern wolf wrote:
Klomp wrote:

We've drafted plenty of nice guys who haven't cut it. I would love nothing more than for him to transform into our SF of the future, but it ain't going to happen.

He'd have trade value if he would even start playing well as a backup PF, but can't even seem to do that.

I think he could be a player that gets to the line alot if he could learn to finish on his drives. I don't think the refs give him the benefit of the doubt because they feel like he's taking a shot he can't make. If he got the same call Love gets, he'd live at the line.
Worm Guts

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 480

Post#297 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 am by FinnTheHuman

Worm Guts wrote:He'd have trade value if he would even start playing well as a backup PF, but can't even seem to do that.

I think he could be a player that gets to the line alot if he could learn to finish on his drives. I don't think the refs give him the benefit of the doubt because they feel like he's taking a shot he can't make. If he got the same call Love gets, he'd live at the line.

I think that it's because he goes for bad drives. He is so afraid he won't prove himself worthy that he actually wants to do something big with the ball almost every time he gets it. He is not letting offensive game come to him. With his limited minutes, he's always trying to do something impossible in order to prove himself and get bigger minutes, and that just doesn't work.

And it's not the 1st time it happens to a top pick. It's just that in most of those cases rookies didn't have players like Love and AK playing starters on their positions, and players like Dante and Howard on the bench, so they had more space for mistakes.
FinnTheHuman

Rookie
And1: 291

Post#298 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 am by Worm Guts

I've seen a quite few times where he's taken reasonable drives and just flubbed the shot. There's also been times I thought a foul could have been called but there's no whistle. I suppose though when you continually drive and come up empty it becomes a bad decision to drive at all.
Worm Guts

Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#299 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 am by FinnTheHuman

Worm Guts wrote:I've seen a quite few times where he's taken reasonable drives and just flubbed the shot. There's also been times I thought a foul could have been called but there's no whistle. I suppose though when you continually drive and come up empty it becomes a bad decision to drive at all.

I agree with you there. There are a lot of factors that make a drive great: a good shooting and passing reputation, speed, explosiveness, strength, the ability to take a good shot from the drive, a good court vision, a good pump fake, a good NBA reputation for the refs. DWill still doesn't have many of those, but all those he doesn't have can be gained.
FinnTheHuman

Rookie
And1: 291

Post#300 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am by Worm Guts

He was great at getting to the line in college, so maybe there's some hope there. It's really the only thing I have hope for Williams to do at a high NBA level.
Worm Guts

Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#301 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm by Ming Kong!

Calinks wrote:If Igudola or something of that caliber comes along, move him. If anything like peanuts or role players/weak picks is being offered. Hell no. That includes someone like Varejao.

LOL the way Varejao is playing this year, makes this hilarious (though I know this was posted over the summer).
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 24

Post#302 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 am by shrink

Ming Kong! wrote:
Calinks wrote:If Igudola or something of that caliber comes along, move him. If anything like peanuts or role players/weak picks is being offered. Hell no. That includes someone like Varejao.

LOL the way Varejao is playing this year, makes this hilarious (though I know this was posted over the summer).

Yep he's playing great and worth more than this. However, just wait three weeks for his annual season-ending injury, and it will be an equally unbalanced a trade.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 183

Post#303 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:07 pm by Grits n Gravy

oh boy
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... k-williams

some terrible mentions
williams for shannon brown
williams for anthony morrow and john jenkins
williams and barea/rid for isiah thomas and thornton
williams for austin rivers and jason smith
williams and ridnour for jason maxiell and austin daye
Grits n Gravy

Head Coach
And1: 230

Post#304 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 pm by Esohny

The only one that improves the team is the Kings trade. And that's pretty poor value wise. The others are jokes, and that's coming from someone who wanted Williams traded last season.

The target should be JJ Redick.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Esohny

RealGM
And1: 243

Post#305 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 pm by [RCG]

I posted in the comment section. Some of those writers should examine the rosters of the teams before they propose dumb trades. I like Austin Rivers and John Jenkins but most of the proposals are garbage.

There is no reason to trade him straight up for older bench players who don't do anything to help us win. Williams is still two years younger than Damian Lilliard and Alexey Shved - I don't care what anyone else says he has the potential and I wouldn't mind continuing to develop him in practice and seeing him get more minutes during garbage time (as well as some meaningful minutes). We can reevaluate him at the end of his contract, the same time Love will have his opt-out and we can have flexibility during that situation.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 134

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves