yardbarker

Minnesota Timberwolves Awards

Season Player Award
2013-2014 Kevin Love Player Of The Week (West, Feb 24, 2014)
2013-2014 Kevin Love Player Of The Week (West, Nov 4, 2013)
2013-2014 Gorgui Dieng Rookie Of The Month (West, Mar)
2012-2013 Nikola Pekovic Player Of The Week (West, Apr 8, 2013)
2011-2012 Kevin Love All-NBA Second Team
2011-2012 Ricky Rubio All-Rookie First Team

See all Minnesota Timberwolves awards

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes : 131

Post#376 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 am by gamer4Life

The J Rocka wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:
Bargnani is extremely underrated. He'll be your sparkplug off the bench, and can act as insurance in case Love gets injured.

We have insurance invested in Cunningham & Williams already so no reason to take on that bad contract. Bargs is having one of his worst seasons ever. A big that cannot shoot, cannot score inside, cannot play defense, and cannot rebound. He makes Brook Lopez look like Kevin Love.

I'm pretty sure Raps fans hate his guts and would dump him for an expiring in a heartbeat.

Calderon for Williams + Roy?
gamer4Life

Head Coach
And1: 116

Post#377 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:24 am by The J Rocka

gamer4Life wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:
Bargnani is extremely underrated. He'll be your sparkplug off the bench, and can act as insurance in case Love gets injured.

We have insurance invested in Cunningham & Williams already so no reason to take on that bad contract. Bargs is having one of his worst seasons ever. A big that cannot shoot, cannot score inside, cannot play defense, and cannot rebound. He makes Brook Lopez look like Kevin Love.

I'm pretty sure Raps fans hate his guts and would dump him for an expiring in a heartbeat.

Calderon for Barea/Ridnour + Roy?

This would be as far as Wolves fans go and even some may prefer to stand pat or move those pieces towards another player, a SG or backup C.
Sig by C.lupus
The J Rocka

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 677

Post#378 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am by Esohny

gamer4Life wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:Derrick Williams and Brandon Roy for Andrea Bargnani.

So we move a young SF/PF on a rookie contract for a big that can't play basketball at a high level and is due 30 mil for the next 3 seasons to come off the bench since we already have big bodies?

I think we rate his terrible defense, allergy to rebounding, and awful contract just right.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 65

Post#379 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 am by Slackstring701

Yo ... Im a diehard Raps fan, but I am also a very big Wolves fan. Always root for them out west.

As much as I like DeMar ... I would definately be intrested in seeing some sort of trade revolving around DeRozan for Williams.

Terrence Ross is looking like he is going to have a very bright future, making DeMar redundant, and we are absolutely starving for a half decent SF.

I've watched a lot of Williams this past year and a bit, and I'm still not sold he can be a long term SF, but I would be abslutely willing to give him the chance to play 30+ minutes there.

I don't what you guys think about that, but it was just something I was mulling over ...
Slackstring701

Rookie
And1: 440

Post#380 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:03 am by Calinks

Hell no to Bargs.

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
RealGM
And1: 746

Post#381 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 am by Nitroglycerin

Ellis?
Nitroglycerin
Senior
And1: 44

Post#382 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 pm by Basti

gamer4Life wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:

Calderon for Williams + Roy?

No thanks. We don't need another point guard with horrible defense.
Thanks to my man Loopers for the great signature
Basti

Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#383 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm by moss_is_1

Kahn touch this wrote:Ellis?

Ellis would be a nice idea. I like him a lot more then most. He isn't a great outside shooter so having him with AK and Rubio isn't ideal...but I would take the gamble because we need a player who can score on the wing. Ellis will most likely be a free agent though.
moss_is_1
Head Coach
And1: 111

Post#384 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:33 pm by cpfsf

if he would accept coming off the bench...
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 292

Post#385 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:59 pm by shrink

gamer4Life wrote: Calderon for Williams + Roy?

WILLIAMS and Roy? No - at $11.6 mil after trade kicker, Calderon doesn't have that kind of value.

Heck, majority here won't do Ridnour and Roy.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 183

Post#386 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 pm by Klomp

Of course not.
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 749

Post#387 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 pm by rugbyrugger23

Slackstring701 wrote:Yo ... Im a diehard Raps fan, but I am also a very big Wolves fan. Always root for them out west.

As much as I like DeMar ... I would definately be intrested in seeing some sort of trade revolving around DeRozan for Williams.

Terrence Ross is looking like he is going to have a very bright future, making DeMar redundant, and we are absolutely starving for a half decent SF.

I've watched a lot of Williams this past year and a bit, and I'm still not sold he can be a long term SF, but I would be abslutely willing to give him the chance to play 30+ minutes there.

I don't what you guys think about that, but it was just something I was mulling over ...

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it. He could either start, and Shved comes off bench, or other way around. Plus DeRozan could play some minutes at SF.
rugbyrugger23
Rookie
And1: 36

Post#388 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29 pm by shrink

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
Slackstring701 wrote:Yo ... Im a diehard Raps fan, but I am also a very big Wolves fan. Always root for them out west.

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

$38 mil for four years? We're not the Lakers here. We can't make a giant investment like this on a guy that has never been close to worth that much money.

And what would we trade to make it even? We don't have a bad contract that starts when Derozan's contract starts.
shrink
RealGM

Post#389 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 am by rugbyrugger23

shrink wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:

I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

$38 mil for four years? We're not the Lakers here. We can't make a giant investment like this on a guy that has never been close to worth that much money.

And what would we trade to make it even? We don't have a bad contract that starts when Derozan's contract starts.

A third team would be needed. Barea and DWill for DD and filler (ideally expiring contract filler).
rugbyrugger23
Rookie
And1: 36

Post#390 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 am by [RCG]

I'd like a SG who can shoot a little bit.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#391 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:32 am by tviper

apologies for the laziness of not wading through 25 pages, but interested if any Laker players would be of interest for DWill (outside of the top 4, obviously). For example, would Hill be a fit? Some combination of out-of-rotation wings (Ebanks, Clark, Jamison)? Perhaps not, but haven't watched any MIN games this year yet to assess the roster needs. Thx.
tviper
Rookie
And1: 29

Post#392 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:40 pm by [RCG]

Sorry, you don't have any picks which would be the main asset coming back otherwise a Hill + Meeks + 1st for Williams would've been something to build from.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 133

Post#393 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:34 pm by shrink

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
shrink wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I can't believe this didn't get more run. YES. DD would be a great fit on the Wolves. I think they need a SG/SF type player, and one who is uber athletic is needed as well. His contract extension is hard to swallow, but maybe he could live up to it.

A third team would be needed. Barea and DWill for DD and filler (ideally expiring contract filler).

I don't think you're understanding me. Suppose MIN trades Williams for Derozan

In 2012-13 .. MIN WINS
In 2013-14 .. Williams + $4.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2014-15 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2015-16 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.
In 2016-17 .. $9.5 mil in a fairly priced player or Derozan? MIN LOSES.

Because most teams are limited to a salary under the lux, they need to at least get market value out of their players to be a play-off team. To be a true contender, they need to get excellent value out of how they spend their money - generally that means superstars. MIN can't lock into Derozan at $9.5 mil, and hope he improves enough to reach a .. say .. 20% chance that he's worth $9.5 mil.
shrink
RealGM

Post#394 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm by Skin

Straight up for JJ Redick.
- Draft Exum
Skin
Lead Assistant
And1: 247

Post#395 Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?
Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:45 pm by shrink

Skin wrote:Straight up for JJ Redick.

Great fit, but can't do it, because he's an expiring UFA.

If MIN gave up Williams in the deal, they could watch Redick scoot right back to ORL this summer. Even if we knew we could re-sign him, it might be at the expense of Pekovic or Buddinger.

I'd do a deal for Afflalo because he's locked in for multiple years, but Redick's deal should make him untradable for Williams right now. Even if they love Redick and are willing to sacrifice someone next year to afford him, then they should keep Williams, find a short-term solution for the rest of the year (Rip?), and offer Redick the full MLE this summer.
shrink
RealGM

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves