ImageImageImage

2013 Draft Targets (#9, #26, #52, #59)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Re: 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#41 » by Vindicater » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 am

I don't know how he fits with us at all and I think he will be long gone before we pick but I love Mason Plumlee.

I see him as a good serviceable NBA big man for 10 years minimum. The type of guy who will be a winner for his whole career.

He is an elite level role-player I think.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#42 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 am

Vindicater wrote:I don't know how he fits with us at all and I think he will be long gone before we pick but I love Mason Plumlee.

I see him as a good serviceable NBA big man for 10 years minimum. The type of guy who will be a winner for his whole career.

He is an elite level role-player I think.

Don't forget how badly we reportedly wanted his brother last year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 am

We will probably be in the middle to end of the first. Guys I try to target, if they last that long, include:

Rodney Williams
Otto Porter
Sergey Karasev
Dario Saric
Adonis Thomas
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#44 » by Esohny » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 am

Klomp wrote:We will probably be in the middle to end of the first. Guys I try to target, if they last that long, include:

Rodney Williams
Otto Porter
Sergey Karasev
Dario Saric
Adonis Thomas

You want a guy who only plays well in college at PF, but will absolutely be required to move to the wing in the NBA to play?
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 am

Esohny wrote:You want a guy who only plays well in college at PF, but will absolutely be required to move to the wing in the NBA to play?

As long as we don't make him play only SG... :D

I give you two cases. First is Thaddeus Young. I think that is exactly who Rodney reminds me of. Similar measurements. Great on defense. Great in transition. Those are the two areas where Williams will shine. Also add in the Ricky factor. And in the halfcourt, his shot is improving, and he is a very underrated passer.

Second is Andrei Kirilenko. No, I am not saying Williams will be Kirilenko. The reason I bring it up is that most say AK is better at PF, the same way people view Rodney. If Williams could learn for a year under Kirilenko, that would be great for his career.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#46 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am

The seven Catholic schools in the Big East have agreed to leave the conference and are debating the process of departing the league, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

How DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova leave the Big East is still undetermined.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#47 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 am

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:You want a guy who only plays well in college at PF, but will absolutely be required to move to the wing in the NBA to play?

As long as we don't make him play only SG... :D

I give you two cases. First is Thaddeus Young. I think that is exactly who Rodney reminds me of. Similar measurements. Great on defense. Great in transition. Those are the two areas where Williams will shine. Also add in the Ricky factor. And in the halfcourt, his shot is improving, and he is a very underrated passer.

Second is Andrei Kirilenko. No, I am not saying Williams will be Kirilenko. The reason I bring it up is that most say AK is better at PF, the same way people view Rodney. If Williams could learn for a year under Kirilenko, that would be great for his career.

Thaddeus Young is more of a PF then AK47 is though...he basically only plays PF and sucks at SF.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#48 » by AQuintus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 am

Klomp wrote:I give you two cases. First is Thaddeus Young. I think that is exactly who Rodney reminds me of.

Except that Young is forced to play PF in the NBA because he can't handle the wing.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#49 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 am

Idk what u guys are smokin if u think rodney will be a good nba SF...

4th year in college and still cant handle the ball or shoot.

Doesnt this guys game and age sound familiar?

if u dont have ANY wing skills at an NBA level by the time you are a senior in college we can bascially classify you as a WES JOHNSON
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:I give you two cases. First is Thaddeus Young. I think that is exactly who Rodney reminds me of.

Except that Young is forced to play PF in the NBA because he can't handle the wing.

So then why will Rodney be "absolutely required to move to the wing" as Esohny states?

If Young can play PF, why can't Rodney? And I think Rodney can play SF too. While he's never going to be a 20 ppg scorer, he knows his role. Defensive stopper. Energy guy.

And I think Rodney has one major strength over Wes Johnson. Defense. Rodney hasn't hid in a Syracuse zone like Wes did.

AQuintus
RealGM

Post#51 » by AQuintus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 am

Klomp wrote:So then why will Rodney be "absolutely required to move to the wing" as Esohny states?

Maybe because Rodney and Thaddeus are 2 different players? I don't know. You should ask Esohny.

If Young can play PF, why can't Rodney?

Why would we want him to? We already have Love, Cunningham, and (until he's moved) Williams. There's no need to draft someone whose best position will be at PF.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#52 » by wildvikeswolves » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

Ricky Rubio and Rodney Williams = :o

I'm with Klomp on this. Defensive stopper, great energy, and world class athleticism
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,468

Post#53 » by Worm Guts » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

NikolaPekovic wrote:Idk what u guys are smokin if u think rodney will be a good nba SF...

4th year in college and still cant handle the ball or shoot.

Doesnt this guys game and age sound familiar?

if u dont have ANY wing skills at an NBA level by the time you are a senior in college we can bascially classify you as a WES JOHNSON

Wes Johnson was very good shooter in college, Rodney Williams is a lot more active. I don't think we're talking about taking Rodney Williams with 4th pick.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#54 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Hard to see Rodney being a full time NBA player anytime soon. If he sticks somewhere I think he'll be a d-league guy for a while.

Very hard for me to get excited about the draft this year. I mean we have the #2 pick from two years ago and he hardly even plays. Now you're telling me Rodney Williams (who might get picked in the 2nd?) is an impact player?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#55 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:07 pm

Assuming we pick in the middle of the 1st I'd put our targets at (Yes I know some of those guys will likely be top-10):

Archie Goodwin (Fr) - SG - Kentucky
Ben McLemore (So) - SG - Kansas
Otto Porter (So) - SF - Georgetown
Dario Saric(18) - SF - Croatia
CJ McCollum (Sr) - PG/SG - Lehigh
Rudy Gobert (20) - C - France
Isaiah Austin - (Fr) - C - Baylor
Tony Mitchell (So) - SF - North Texas
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:17 pm

[RCG] wrote:Assuming we pick in the middle of the 1st I'd put our targets at (Yes I know some of those guys will likely be top-10):

Archie Goodwin (Fr) - SG - Kentucky
Ben McLemore (So) - SG - Kansas
Otto Porter (So) - SF - Georgetown
Dario Saric(18) - SF - Croatia
CJ McCollum (Sr) - PG/SG - Lehigh
Rudy Gobert (20) - C - France
Isaiah Austin - (Fr) - C - Baylor
Tony Mitchell (So) - SF - North Texas

I'd LOVE Otto Porter. I think he's in that Prince/Kirilenko category of SFs.

Remember too though when projecting out team needs that theres a high probability Bjelica is a Wolf next year. I'm projecting him to take Derrick's role as a PF/SF if he's traded.

AQuintus
RealGM

Post#57 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:18 pm

At this point, I wouldn't mind it at all if we used assets to move up and get either Goodwin or McLemore.

Edit:

As of right now, we'd have the 16th pick in the draft.

Draftexpress has Archie Goodwin at 8 and Ben McLemore at 9.
NBADraft has Goodwin at 15 (with Minnesota passing on him at 14 for Isiah Austin :roll: ) and McLemore at 2.

Edit 2:

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure that this is the draft order as of today (1-4-2013):

30. OKC
29. LAC
28. San Antonio
27. Miami
26. Memphis
25. New York
24. Golden State
23. Atlanta
22. Indiana
21. Chicago
20. Houston
19. Milwaukee
18. Brooklyn
17. Denver
16. Minnesota
15. Philly
14. Portland
13. Utah
12. LAL
11. Boston
10. Dallas
9. Toronto
8. Orlando
7. Sacramento
6. Phoenix
5. Detroit
4. Charlotte
3. New Orleans
2. Cleveland
1. Washington
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#58 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:21 pm

30. OKC - Doug McDermott
29. LAC - Rodney Williams
28. San Antonio - Isaiah Canaan
27. Miami - Jeff Withey
26. Memphis - Andre Roberson
25. New York - Myck Kabongo
24. Golden State - Trey Burke
23. Atlanta - Jamaal Franklin
22. Indiana - CJ Leslie
21. Chicago - Mason Plumlee
20. Houston - Marcus Smart
19. Milwaukee - Sergey Karasey
18. Brooklyn - Adonis Thomas
17. Denver - LeBryan Nash
16. Minnesota - Dario Saric
15. Philly - James McAdoo
14. Portland - Isaiah Austin
13. Utah - CJ McCollum
12. LAL - Tony Mitchell
11. Boston - Rudy Gobert
10. Dallas - Micheal Carter-Williams
9. Toronto - Anthony Bennett
8. Orlando - Alex Len
7. Sacramento - Otto Porter
6. Phoenix - Archie Goodwin
5. Detroit - Ben McLemore
4. Charlotte - Cody Zeller
3. New Orleans - Alex Poythress
2. Cleveland - Nerlens Noel
1. Washington - Shabazz Muhammad

Looks like we might miss out. I would be all for packaging, if we get two 1sts, up to nab Goodwin or McLemore because I don't like any of the guys who'd be available in the 20s. Either that or trade down into the 2nd and stash a guy like Noguiera or Lima.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#59 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:44 pm

Doesn't look like you have Goodwin in your draft there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up being a one and done guy, even if he might be better off with an extra year at the college level.

With that said, I'm not a fan of the Saric pick. He's a talent and would be a great fit in Adelman's offense, but he's probably going to have to play PF in the NBA, and we already have Love, Cunningham, Williams (until he's traded), and Jumanji Bjelica (similar skill set to Saric).
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#60 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:54 pm

AQuintus wrote:Doesn't look like you have Goodwin in your draft there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up being a one and done guy, even if he might be better off with an extra year at the college level.

With that said, I'm not a fan of the Saric pick. He's a talent and would be a great fit in Adelman's offense, but he's probably going to have to play PF in the NBA, and we already have Love, Cunningham, Williams (until he's traded), and Jumanji Bjelica (similar skill set to Saric).

Sorry I swore I did, and I was surprised when there was no one left at our pick :lol:

And yes, that's what I was angling at with Saric, his fit in Adelman's offense. I'm thinking he can play at SF based on clips but who knows. That and there aren't any guys I'd pick before him later in the draft.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves