ImageImageImage

2013 Draft Targets (#9, #26, #52, #59)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#201 » by [RCG] » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 am

McCollum would be a nice pairing next to Rubio and gives us the ball-handler Adelman likes at the 2. And Porter is another guy worth keeping the pick for.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#202 » by NikolaPekovic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 am

[RCG] wrote:McCollum would be a nice pairing next to Rubio and gives us the ball-handler Adelman likes at the 2. And Porter is another guy worth keeping the pick for.

portor cant really shoot tho. i think that has to be a requirement at this point for any SG/SF we are interested in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#203 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:15 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:
[RCG] wrote:McCollum would be a nice pairing next to Rubio and gives us the ball-handler Adelman likes at the 2. And Porter is another guy worth keeping the pick for.

portor cant really shoot tho. i think that has to be a requirement at this point for any SG/SF we are interested in.

47% from 3-pt range and "can't really shoot"?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#204 » by [RCG] » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:23 am

Klomp wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:

He averages 3 shots per game too, so its not a ton but its not like he only attempts one 3 every two games.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#205 » by The J Rocka » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 am

Porter has a shooting touch but he needs people to get him the ball in his spots (ie: corner 3s, elbow midrange off screens). He's not a guy you give the ball to in an iso situation and expect him to make something happen. He needs somebody like Rubio to get him good looks.

I think we need more of a ball-handing shot creator that can also get it done inside but Porter is still pretty solid. If we don't end up getting a SG or C we like in this draft, he's not a bad option for the future when AK moves on. Porter is more of a project and will need the time/experience to develop, like learning behind AK.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 am

The J Rocka wrote:Porter has a shooting touch but he needs people to get him the ball in his spots (ie: corner 3s, elbow midrange off screens). He's not a guy you give the ball to in an iso situation and expect him to make something happen. He needs somebody like Rubio to get him good looks.

Ben McLemore is the same way, but people here are head over heels about him.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by The J Rocka » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 am

Klomp wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:Porter has a shooting touch but he needs people to get him the ball in his spots (ie: corner 3s, elbow midrange off screens). He's not a guy you give the ball to in an iso situation and expect him to make something happen. He needs somebody like Rubio to get him good looks.

Not gonna argue with that. McLemore can run the floor better and has better physical tools to be a stronger defender. My problem with McLemore is that his handles need to improve and he needs to show up in every big game. I've seen him disappear in games but I've seen him takeover late. There's no questioning his shooting ability. Midrange or 3, he has great form and will score inside & out in the NBA. I think Shabazz is a more talented player but I question his attitude and wonder if he would refuse to workout here.

Though I like McLemore a lot, I was higher on Beal last season. Bottom line is that we need a SG that can shoot and get points in transition. If we can trade for a SG at the trade deadline and get Porter in the draft around 8-12, I wouldn't be mad.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#208 » by NikolaPekovic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 am

all i know is... this is gonna be an important summer for the future of our team..
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 am

Wow...the knee injury curse goes all the way to the college prospects. Looks like we will get Nerlens Noel next year.

NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#210 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 am

Klomp wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:

derrick williams was also like 60% from 3 or something coming into the draft, due to such a small sample size. not saying hes a terrible shooter but hes not coming out of college with that reputation
NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#211 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 am

The J Rocka wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Not gonna argue with that. McLemore can run the floor better and has better physical tools to be a stronger defender. My problem with McLemore is that his handles need to improve and he needs to show up in every big game. I've seen him disappear in games but I've seen him takeover late. There's no questioning his shooting ability. Midrange or 3, he has great form and will score inside & out in the NBA. I think Shabazz is a more talented player but I question his attitude and wonder if he would refuse to workout here.

Though I like McLemore a lot, I was higher on Beal last season. Bottom line is that we need a SG that can shoot and get points in transition. If we can trade for a SG at the trade deadline and get Porter in the draft around 8-12, I wouldn't be mad.

mcelmore with rubio would be one of the best backcourts of the future. same with shabazz. i would have confidence our team would be a future contender if we got one of those guys.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:derrick williams was also like 60% from 3 or something coming into the draft, due to such a small sample size. not saying hes a terrible shooter but hes not coming out of college with that reputation

Why do we only need to draft someone with the reputation of being a shooter though?

NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#213 » by NikolaPekovic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:48 am

Klomp wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:derrick williams was also like 60% from 3 or something coming into the draft, due to such a small sample size. not saying hes a terrible shooter but hes not coming out of college with that reputation

Why do we only need to draft someone with the reputation of being a shooter though?

in my opinion if we cant get a good big man(noel,austin,len) or a good 2 guard like shabazz,mcelmore, then it might not be worth keeping the pick.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#214 » by AQuintus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:01 am

Klomp wrote:Why do we only need to draft someone with the reputation of being a shooter though?

Because this team desperately needs shooting, and guys that aren't known as good shooters in college don't tend to become good shooters in the NBA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#215 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Why do we only need to draft someone with the reputation of being a shooter though?

Because this team desperately needs shooting, and guys that aren't known as good shooters in college don't tend to become good shooters in the NBA.

So basically a player's reputation is more important than their production?

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by The J Rocka » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 am

Klomp wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

So basically a player's reputation is more important than their production?

McLemore can definitely produce. He may not be a superstar but he's going to be a very good pro.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#217 » by AQuintus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 am

Klomp wrote:So basically a player's reputation is more important than their production?

Did I say that?

That's part of the reason that I wasn't very high on Beal last year. Everybody raved about his shooting, comparing him to Ray Allen, etc, due to his picture perfect shooting stroke, but despite that, he was only a 34% 3-point shooter. Not very good.

McLemore, on the other hand, has the reputation of being a good shooter because he is a good shooter (which is the same for most players with a reputation as a shooter). McLemore's shooting almost 42% on more than 4 3-point shots a game. That's pretty good production.

Edit:

Just got caught up on the conversation, and am realizing that you're talking about Porter, not McLemore. I agree with Klomp. Sample size is obviously an issue, and you have to wonder about a guy who suddenly goes from a poor shooter to a good one a few years into his college career (Wes Johnson :x ), but I wouldn't mind drafting Porter.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#218 » by Mattya » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 am

Just saw a picture of the Noel injury. Looked like the leg bent just like Shaun Livingston's did. Gross. Hoping for his healthy return, but I would be very careful if I was drafting him. I mean sure you have see him play, but now you don't get to bring him in for a workout, and you are taking HUGE gamble on a guy who really uses his athleticism a lot. Really feel bad for him.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by The J Rocka » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 am

Yowsers! :o

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves