ImageImageImage

2013 Draft Targets (#9, #26, #52, #59)

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

mourvedre
Freshman
Posts: 67
And1: 9
Joined: Feb 20, 2013
Location: Estonia
 

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#271 » by mourvedre » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm

I'll just throw it out there for fellow wolves fans. Not a NBA shooter yet and would have some Williams moments when driving against brick wall for offensive foul or a missed shot, but I see him adapting and developing a lot better than Derrick. Great IQ, guy is an athlete, ability to get to the rim, the way he fills the lanes, would be great defender in his first day, great off the ball(you have to work on that, my Shved) and the fact that he doesn't disappear when the game is on the line, makes me think that he would be great fit.
User avatar
Jukeness
Analyst
Posts: 3,333
And1: 326
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
Location: West Saint Paul, MN

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#272 » by Jukeness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 pm

If we draft a Center, I may have to become a fan of a different team.
User avatar
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,365
And1: 1,613
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
   

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#273 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Jukeness wrote:If we draft a Center, I may have to become a fan of a different team.

If we're not in position to draft a good SG, then this is the next best option (or trading the pick).
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#274 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Micheal Carter-Williams please! 8-)
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
User avatar
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,365
And1: 1,613
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
   

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#275 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm

[RCG] wrote:Micheal Carter-Williams please! 8-)

Yuck. Just screams BUST.
User avatar
Jukeness
Analyst
Posts: 3,333
And1: 326
Joined: Jul 13, 2012
Location: West Saint Paul, MN

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#276 » by Jukeness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
Jukeness wrote:If we draft a Center, I may have to become a fan of a different team.

If we're not in position to draft a good SG, then this is the next best option (or trading the pick).

Get Oladipo. We're not getting the 8th pick, probably more like the 11th or 12th, get Oladipo at that pick, **** getting a Center who wont start or immediately contribute.
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#277 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Micheal Carter-Williams please! 8-)

Yuck. Just screams BUST.


In case you couldn't tell...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#278 » by [RCG] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Jukeness wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
Jukeness wrote:If we draft a Center, I may have to become a fan of a different team.

If we're not in position to draft a good SG, then this is the next best option (or trading the pick).

Get Oladipo. We're not getting the 8th pick, probably more like the 11th or 12th, get Oladipo at that pick, **** getting a Center who wont start or immediately contribute.


I'm thinking the 7-10 range. Oladipo might rise to top-5 in all honesty.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
User avatar
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,365
And1: 1,613
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Minneapolis
   

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#279 » by The J Rocka » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 pm

[RCG] wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Micheal Carter-Williams please! 8-)

Yuck. Just screams BUST.


In case you couldn't tell...

My sarcasm detector was broken. Carry on...
zauchary
Junior
Posts: 299
And1: 24
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
         

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#280 » by zauchary » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Oladipo would be the perfect complimentary player to our core guys right now. I'm a bit worried he might skyrocket out of our range if he starts shooting and making more threes.

Archie Goodwin has fell quite a bit, a player with great potential. The sky is the limit for Archie, but can he pull his head out of his ass in time to see the potential?
User avatar
PZiv
Veteran
Posts: 2,521
And1: 645
Joined: Apr 20, 2012
 

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#281 » by PZiv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 am

My choice:
9th pick: Victor Oladipo
25th pick: Jeff Withey/Gorgui Dieng
50th pick: Isaiah Canaan
59th pick: Have no opinion, what somebody skips and suits Minny.
NikolaPekovic
Senior
Posts: 640
And1: 56
Joined: Jun 27, 2012

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#282 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

NikolaPekovic
Senior
Posts: 640
And1: 56
Joined: Jun 27, 2012

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#283 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am

Magic said that Oladipo will be a top 5 pick... I hope not D:

He could just take malcolm lee's spot on the roster
JDthrillinger
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 22, 2012

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#284 » by JDthrillinger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 am

I've decided there are 8 players(and only 8) that we should consider drafting with our pick in the first round.

With Ridnour, D Will, and Memph 1st as trade assets I feel like we should be able to land 1 of these guys by trading up if they're off the board when we pick.

I've ranked the prospects we should target based on their value to us:

1. SG Shabazz Muhammed- Way higher on this guy than anybody else. I think he's going to be a devastating scorer and perennial All-Star. I see his game taking off in the Pros and people will forget all about his college issues.

2. SG Ben Mclemore- A lot of mock drafts have him going #1. I don't see it but still think he'd fit nice here.

3. C Nerlens Noel- Have to take this guy if he falls to us because of the injury. Perfect compliment to Pek/Love

4. PG/SG Marcus Smart- Probably going in the top 5 but he's definitely a guy we would draft to play SG

5. SG Victor Oladipo- I am almost ready to put him above Mclemore. This may be our guy if we keep our pick

6. C Cody Zeller- Not the perfect fit but way too talented to pass up if he fell and other guys were off the board

7. SF Otto Porter- A high IQ defensive minded SF who would be groomed by AK. Have greater positional needs though

8. C Alex Len- Could be a nice backup C for us to begin with and immediate upgrade over Stiemsma

Projected 2013-2014 Depth Chart:
Rubio/Barea
_____/Shved/M Lee
AK47/Budinger/Gelabele
Love/Cunningham
Pekovic/______/Johnson
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 27,196
And1: 2,477
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#285 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm

JDthrillinger wrote:I've decided there are 8 players(and only 8) that we should consider drafting with our pick in the first round.

With Ridnour, D Will, and Memph 1st as trade assets I feel like we should be able to land 1 of these guys by trading up if they're off the board when we pick.

I've ranked the prospects we should target based on their value to us:

1. SG Shabazz Muhammed- Way higher on this guy than anybody else. I think he's going to be a devastating scorer and perennial All-Star. I see his game taking off in the Pros and people will forget all about his college issues.

2. SG Ben Mclemore- A lot of mock drafts have him going #1. I don't see it but still think he'd fit nice here.

3. C Nerlens Noel- Have to take this guy if he falls to us because of the injury. Perfect compliment to Pek/Love

4. PG/SG Marcus Smart- Probably going in the top 5 but he's definitely a guy we would draft to play SG

5. SG Victor Oladipo- I am almost ready to put him above Mclemore. This may be our guy if we keep our pick

6. C Cody Zeller- Not the perfect fit but way too talented to pass up if he fell and other guys were off the board

7. SF Otto Porter- A high IQ defensive minded SF who would be groomed by AK. Have greater positional needs though

8. C Alex Len- Could be a nice backup C for us to begin with and immediate upgrade over Stiemsma

Projected 2013-2014 Depth Chart:
Rubio/Barea
_____/Shved/M Lee
AK47/Budinger/Gelabele
Love/Cunningham
Pekovic/______/Johnson


I agree with your whole take, though I'd consider Zeller and Len for trade value more than anything. Definitely agree Shabazz is head and shoulders the best fit for the team and agree with Olapido above McLemore (potentially)
Image
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,053
And1: 2,870
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#286 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

The thing that scares me about Shabazz is that he plays too much hero ball, and isn't always a willing passer. That won't fly with Rick.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
Posts: 27,196
And1: 2,477
Joined: Oct 09, 2005

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#287 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:32 pm

yea, but its better than being too passive. Plus that UCLA connection might win some small points for keeping both guys happy in MN
Image
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#288 » by [RCG] » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I'd throw McCollum in there as well. He's a guy we could potential trade back a couple of spots for if we see a lot of those guys taken already. He shoots lights out and has since he was a freshman. Capable ball-handler too.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
jfg
Junior
Posts: 345
And1: 31
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#289 » by jfg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm

I just want every player who's scouting report says "Motor and athleticism makes up for limited skill set" crossed off the Wolves big board right now. 1st one to cross off is Oladipo.
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 38,053
And1: 2,870
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#290 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm

jfg wrote:I just want every player who's scouting report says "Motor and athleticism makes up for limited skill set" crossed off the Wolves big board right now. 1st one to cross off is Oladipo.

So I take it you want to trade Ricky then? Because other than the passing, that's EXACTLY the type of player Oladipo is.

(No, I'm not saying Oladipo is as good as Rubio, I'm comparing their skillsets)
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves