yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota

Moderators: Basti, C.lupus, Klomp

Post#1 ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am by Gunny

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8634948/josh-howard-agrees-terms-minnesota-timberwolves-according-sources

The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to terms with free agent forward Josh Howard, according to league sources.

Howard will add depth to the injury-ravaged Wolves, who lost Chase Budinger to injury earlier this week. Forward Kevin Love, guards Ricky Rubio, J.J. Barea and Brandon Roy also are sidelined with injuries.

Howard, a nine-year veteran, will receive a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum. He is expected to fly to Minnesota for his physical Thursday.

The 32-year old forward has career averages of 14.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. He averaged 9 points and 4 rebounds for Utah last season.
Gunny

Pro Prospect
And1: 280

Post#2 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am by ...

Ruh-Roh, Shaggy.

Junior
And1: 51

Post#3 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am by cpfsf

That's just who I wanted. You really can't do much better with the vet min. I imagine Conroy is by far the most likely candidate to be cut.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 403

Post#4 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am by Chocobanana

How did he become so bad anyway? I remember in Dallas he was pretty good.
Chocobanana

Lead Assistant
And1: 210

Post#5 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 am by cpfsf

someone already added that on wikipedia. that's scary fast.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 403

Post#6 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:32 am by AK47MVP

I am disappointed it is not Pietrus. Howard is very selfish, looking for his own shot only. Not sure how Adelman is seeing him in his offense. I guess for 7-10 min a game to give AK some rest . It should be ok as long as he does not brick jumpers every possesion.
AK47MVP
Senior
And1: 128

Post#7 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am by Klomp

“@DarrenWolfson: Told the workout in Dallas went well on Monday. It was always a matter of getting Pietrus or Howard to say yes to the vet min. Howard did.”

“@DarrenWolfson: Howard is flying into town today. He'll have to pass a physical, which will happen today. If ok, he'll be in uniform tomorrow. #twolves”

“@JerryZgoda: Wolves' deal w/ Josh Howard on vet's minimum, per @Chris_Broussard, is intended to cut AK's load. He's played 44 mins each last 2 games”

“@APkrawczynski: Howard was relatively productive for Utah last year with 8.7 points in 23.7 minutes per game. Wolves would be elated w/that production”
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,910

Post#8 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:36 am by bluethunder0005

I think this is a solid move especially for the minimum. I'm not a Howard fan by any stretch of the imagination but he may be able to help this team out offensively till we get some guys back,
bluethunder0005
Senior
And1: 11

Post#9 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am by Calinks

Don't get it. He doesn't play the 2, hasn't looked particularly good..... Poetry's seemed like the better fit. Well hopefully he still has some game. I am sure Adelman personally signed off on it so he must have done so for a reason.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks

RealGM
And1: 1,213

Post#10 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am by Turnover_21

Calinks wrote:Don't get it. He doesn't play the 2, hasn't looked particularly good..... Poetry's seemed like the better fit. Well hopefully he still has some game. I am sure Adelman personally signed off on it so he must have done so for a reason.

I'm no fan of Howard but a backup 3 is a much bigger need that another 2.
Turnover_21
Veteran
And1: 129

Post#11 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am by Klomp

From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 am by AK47MVP

Klomp wrote:From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.

For that he would need to shoot at least 35% on his 3pts. Doubt it will happen. He shot very poorly last year with Utah. He is nowhere defender he used to be due to his bad knees. Last year I was watching him play with Utah, his mindset was always to take jumpers or attack the basket, and he did it at horrible FG%. Not sure Wolves need that.
AK47MVP
Senior
And1: 128

Post#13 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 am by Turnover_21

Adam Morrison was the way to go.
Turnover_21
Veteran
And1: 129

Post#14 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm by Foye

I guess I don't care.

Conroy was unable to even make a field goal when he played. Howard can't be much worse and gives Kirilenko some much needed rest.
Foye

RealGM
And1: 606

Post#15 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm by Klomp

AK47MVP wrote:
Klomp wrote:From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.

For that he would need to shoot at least 35% on his 3pts. Doubt it will happen. He shot very poorly last year with Utah. He is nowhere defender he used to be due to his bad knees. Last year I was watching him play with Utah, his mindset was always to take jumpers or attack the basket, and he did it at horrible FG%. Not sure Wolves need that.

Small sample size, I know, but as long as he sticks to the corner threes, it could. Hit 43% (3/7) on corner threes last year, but 21% (6/29) above the break.

And I would say his attacking mindset is something we need. Everyone else healthy right now is known as a defensive player first. We need someone who can create some offense.

Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 pm by Klomp

“@JerryZgoda: On Howard from someone who knows: Great fit, good in locker room, quiet, high BB IQ, a scorer, can be a ball stopper but not a black hole”

And he's BLACK, Jerry! (sorry, had to)

Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#17 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 pm by NewWolves

AK47MVP wrote:

Although I agree he was awful last year with Utah, i think this is another situation. Now he is a free agent and is brought to a new team that is only interested in him because of the injuries - So Im sure his role will be very specific at what the coaching staff is seeking from him. I doubt Adelman give him the green light to do what he did in Utah
NewWolves
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#18 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm by Krapinsky

Both Pietrus and Howard are pretty terrible. I'd take Howard over Pietrus though, just because he's the better offensive player. Pietrus had an 8.58 PER last year fwiw.
Sig by C.lupus
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 750

Post#19 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm by TMo519

Can't argue it, we need bodies, and he can contribute still. I'm sure Adelman will figure out a way to fit him in.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#20 Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 pm by Klomp

Krapinsky wrote:Both Pietrus and Howard are pretty terrible. I'd take Howard over Pietrus though, just because he's the better offensive player. Pietrus had an 8.58 PER last year fwiw.

Good call. Pietrus is still a guy that needs to be set up. Howard can create.

Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Next

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves