ImageImageImage

Malcolm Lee

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Malcolm Lee 

Post#1 » by Foye » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:52 pm

What do you guys think about Malcolm Lee?

His stats are pretty underwhelming but I've been pleasantly surprised by him on the defensive end of the floor these last two games.

Well we better not talk about his offense....but I'm more comfortable having him out there in end of the game situations than having Luke "I lose track of the opposing PG 11 times out of 10 and jack up an ill-advised three after handling the ball for 17 seconds" Ridnour.

At least Lee is a capable man defender. With some more experience under his belt he could probably defend the opposing PG/SG very well in crunch time. Ridnour simply doesn't have the speed anymore and probably never had it. Roy doesn't have the speed either. Lee is fast enough.

Lee is also a better fit next to Shved/Rubio than Ridnour is, imo.

Offensively, he obviously has a lot of work to do. Should focus on becoming a good 3pt shooter. That alone would make him a pretty valuable player for us.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Re: Malcolm Lee 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I think he should watch tape of a guy like Doug Christie. Right now he forces too much offensively, though these are rare circumstances I suppose.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#3 » by Peezo » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 pm

I haven't been as big of a fan of his defense, not that its been a negative, but I certainly don't think its been noteworthy. His offense on the other hand has been noticeable in the fact that he seems woefully unprepared to attack an NBA interior. I think this current rash of injuries is great for him though because he is getting so much time on the floor. He is making mistakes and not getting yanked, lucky for him. It is also a benefit to the Wolves because we are really seeing what he can do. I for one don't see him developing into a contributor, but I'm hopeful for him. It just seems like too big of a jump would need to be made on offense. I never watched him at UCLA, but he wasn't known for being a scorer there was he? I always thought he carried a rep for defense, which again, has not seemed special thus far.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#4 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Lee is a very cheap 3rd string PG/SG for this team over next 2 seasons. Nothing more nothing less.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#5 » by Esohny » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:Lee is a very cheap 3rd string PG/SG for this team over next 2 seasons. Nothing more nothing less.

Yep, he's fine as a 5th guard who can defend either spot at a respectable level.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
TwInS1095
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by TwInS1095 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 am

Turnover_21 wrote:Lee is a very cheap 3rd string PG/SG for this team over next 2 seasons. Nothing more nothing less.

Couldn't agree more. Not really impressed with Lee and wouldn't/shouldn't be playing much other than mop-up duty. Unfortunately injuries happen...

This is coming from a huge Malcom supporter too.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#7 » by Basti » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 am

Yes, he's been a much better defender than Luke (which is pretty much anyone by default, though) and he's had a few nice moments offensively but as others said, he's a 3rd string guy off the bench. Offensively he still looks either lost, confused or too passive most of the time.

When/if everyone is healthy the guard line up you gotta go with in crunch time is Rubio and Shved.
Foye

Post#8 » by Foye » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 am

Basti wrote:Yes, he's been a much better defender than Luke (which is pretty much anyone by default, though) and he's had a few nice moments offensively but as others said, he's a 3rd string guy off the bench. Offensively he still looks either lost, confused or too passive most of the time.

When/if everyone is healthy the guard line up you gotta go with in crunch time is Rubio and Shved.

I was not thinking about know...more like in 1 or 2 years once he is more developed as a player.
You can see in games that he does have a lot of potential. Offensively, he has obviously lots of work to do to even become an average nba PG/SG.
On D, I like that he tries to stay in front of his man rather than gambling on steals too much. Right now I would probably rate him as an average defender but he clearly has potential too be a much better defender. And he has already shown that he can make key defensive plays like that steal on OJ in crunch time.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#9 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:52 pm

He also looks to be injury prone as hell.
Foye

Post#10 » by Foye » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:He also looks to be injury prone as hell.

Because his legs are as thin as other guys arms. :lol:
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#11 » by Tirion » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:43 pm

very athletic, but needs A LOT of polishing. can't shoot too. probably will develop into a Marquis Daniels / Ronnie Brewer type if he works hard enough.
Foye

Post#12 » by Foye » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 am

Tirion wrote:very athletic, but needs A LOT of polishing. can't shoot too. probably will develop into a Marquis Daniels / Ronnie Brewer type if he works hard enough.

Which would be a really good return for what we've invested in him....the 43rd pick.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#13 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 am

If he can develop into that sort of a player before his contract runs out, then that's fine to keep him around, but developing a Marquis Daniels level rotation player is not worth investing years of development past that.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#14 » by Dewey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Tirion wrote:very athletic, but needs A LOT of polishing. can't shoot too. probably will develop into a Marquis Daniels / Ronnie Brewer type if he works hard enough.

Adequate role player, but he will have to prove he can hit the 3 if he wants longevity in the NBA. Now that he's finally healthy, I hope that he develops
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Dan's with the Wolves
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#15 » by Dan's with the Wolves » Wed Dec 5, 2012 6:16 pm

Dewey wrote:

Adequate role player, but he will have to prove he can hit the 3 if he wants longevity in the NBA. Now that he's finally healthy, I hope that he develops

I am pleasantly surprised with his offense the last few games.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#16 » by horaceworthy » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:29 am

I've been shocked by his effectiveness in catch and shoot situations lately. He went from not being able to hit the broad side of the barn to nearly automatic. It would be really nice if it turned out to not just be a hot streak.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#17 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Dec 7, 2012 8:04 am

horaceworthy wrote:I've been shocked by his effectiveness in catch and shoot situations lately. He went from not being able to hit the broad side of the barn to nearly automatic. It would be really nice if it turned out to not just be a hot streak.

Yup. And he does nice cuts.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#18 » by Saltine » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:59 pm

I'd rather have him than Courtney Lee, which is a very nice change in my point of view over the last season. Malcolm is developing nicely :)
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#19 » by Maefteda » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:08 pm

We might have a really good 2-combo with Lee and Shved. Lee as the good defender that knocks down a couple of 3's and Shved being the 4th quarter closer that can create.

This season I've always thought M. Lee had a good shooting stroke, but he has been chucking it up too much unnecessary and losing confidence in the process. Lately he has started waiting for his chances where he is open and sinks 'em.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#20 » by theGreatRC » Fri Dec 7, 2012 6:03 pm

I know it's early, but when Lee was drafted, I made a thread comparing Lee to Afflalo.

Lee picks up a lot of stupid fouls, but sometimes it's just due to the inexperience, the vets are pulling some wily moves on young Lee and he falls for it.

If he could work on his corner 3 and his spot up shooting, we could have found a second round gem, i'm not going to put all my hopes on him being our 2-guard, though.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves