ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#361 » by jfg » Sat Dec 8, 2012 1:24 am

Forgot about that! That makes all the difference in the world.

What is Utah planning on doing with Big Al this offseason? They're definitely stacking up expiring contracts, I wonder if they'd ship him to the Lakers if some picks are involved and give us Heyward.

MIN in- Gasol, Heyward
MIN out- Pek, Roy, Barea, Williams

LA in- Jefferson, Barea, Williams
LA out- Gasol

Utah in- Pek, Roy, draft pick
Utah out- Jefferson

I'm not positive if that matches up salary wise.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#362 » by AQuintus » Sat Dec 8, 2012 1:37 am

Doesn't make much sense for any of the teams involved.

The Lakers want to move Pau because he's a poor fit next to Howard, and Jefferson is even worse. At least Pau can shoot and pass a little; Jefferson doesn't do anything except get in the way in the post.

For Utah, they're looking to move Jefferson in order to open up more playing time for Favors and Kanter. Replacing Jefferson with Pekovic doesn't help them reach that goal.

For Minnesota, the value (or lack thereof) has been discussed already in this thread.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#363 » by shrink » Sat Dec 8, 2012 3:26 am

From what I've heard, Roy's contract has conditions for a certain amount of minutes or games in 2012-13, or else his 2013-14 season is unguaranteed.

I can't find the specifics anywhere I've looked (little help if someone has this info?), but from what I've heard, it's very unlikely that he makes these minimums, and he can be considered an expiring.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#364 » by Piecake » Sat Dec 8, 2012 4:09 am

Im convinced that Pau is the lakers new Luke Walton. Take him, he's great! He will teach you the triangle, i mean, be best buds with Rubio cause they are both spanish!
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#365 » by LordBaldric » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:12 am

shrink wrote:From what I've heard, Roy's contract has conditions for a certain amount of minutes or games in 2012-13, or else his 2013-14 season is unguaranteed.

I can't find the specifics anywhere I've looked (little help if someone has this info?), but from what I've heard, it's very unlikely that he makes these minimums, and he can be considered an expiring.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... wolves.jsp

Hover over Roy's name. Seems almost impossible that he meets the games active or minutes conditions now. He may have been claiming that he knocked knees to in the future suggest that this injury is unrelated to his previous knee condition, but I don't think anyone would be fooled by that contention.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#366 » by shrink » Sat Dec 8, 2012 2:57 pm

I wanted to dispel the idea that we should move Pek now because we won't want to match a big deal this summer.

1. He's one of the last guys we should trade. We have a need for his size underneath the basket.

2. If he's a product of Rubio - so what? Rubio's not going anywhere, and a Rubio-Pek pairing produces.

3. If we sold him now, pre-Rubio, we'd be selling low.

4. Even if we want to trade him, we don't have to do it now - we have until the trade deadline in Feb.

5. Even past the trade deadline, we can do a sign-and-trade in the off-season for value.

6. We may not even want to trade him. He should improve, and he may not get a higher offer than ours.

7. Taylor is rumored to be willing to go over the lux. A slightly overpaid contract won't restrict the team.

What's the absolute worst case scenario here?

We don't trade him now, he doesn't get better with rubio, we don't have a good offer at the trade deadline, we make an offer this summer, but someone outbids us with a bad contract, and refuses to do a S&T? If all of those things happened, we still have the CHOICE to sign that deal, or let him walk, and use the money elsewhere.

Pek has trade value. He should not be traded away to make up salary difference in a Pau Gasol trade.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
pumunga
Junior
And1: 5

Post#367 » by pumunga » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:48 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski
Kahn's emphatic statements aside, it's no secret Wolves have long coveted Pau. Adelman thinks Pau-Love could = Vlade-CWebb

dont get pau confused with darko
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#368 » by Klomp » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:53 pm

pumunga wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski
Kahn's emphatic statements aside, it's no secret Wolves have long coveted Pau. Adelman thinks Pau-Love could = Vlade-CWebb

dont get pau confused with darko

Notice it was Adelman who thinks that, not Kahn
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#369 » by jfg » Sat Dec 8, 2012 11:52 pm

I don't know why people think Pek is indispensable. I think he's a really good center, but I think we'd be better off with a defensive center since that's Love's weakness. I'm not saying we have to trade him to get better, but I don't see him as a cornerstone since his strengths don't compliment Love's weaknesses. I do get that he's the only center we've had that didn't suck though, so I understand the hesitation.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#370 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:00 am

jfg wrote:I don't know why people think Pek is indispensable. I think he's a really good center, but I think we'd be better off with a defensive center since that's Love's weakness. I'm not saying we have to trade him to get better, but I don't see him as a cornerstone since his strengths don't compliment Love's weaknesses. I do get that he's the only center we've had that didn't suck though, so I understand the hesitation.

Pek is really good when it comes to defending centers that like to post up so he's a valuable defender for match-up purposes. But against teams without a big scoring center I think we should go with AK-DC-Love frontcourt most of the game. Andrei and Dante are our 2 best defenders and I absolutely love when both are on the court at the same time. They are so active at both man and team defense, both can challenge shots at the rim and are quick when it comes to help weakside defense. With those 2 don't think that a shot blocking center is that much of a need.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#371 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:22 am

jfg wrote:I don't know why people think Pek is indispensable.

He's not. He's just too valuable to use as salary filler in a trade for a guy who isn't coming close to earning his 19 million dollar salary.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#372 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:31 am

Does this help change anyones mind?

Gasol is listed as ‘day-to-day', but he will sit again on the bench against Oklahoma City Thunder on Friday night and is not expected to return to action before next week, at best.

"Right now I am physically at around 60 percent of my abilities," the EuroBasket 2009 MVP said in an interview with Canal Plus.

"It wasn't good for me, it wasn't good for the team, perhaps I should have [sat out] earlier."
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#373 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:01 am

I still don't trust that the Lakers are willing to trade him. There's not a more win now team and prime Gasol would have no problem playing with Howard.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#374 » by cpfsf » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:02 am

moot point because of his health. Plus I'm skeptical that Minnesota really will be in talks. Other names are going to pop up before deadline.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#375 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:51 am

Klomp wrote:Does this help change anyones mind?

Gasol is listed as ‘day-to-day', but he will sit again on the bench against Oklahoma City Thunder on Friday night and is not expected to return to action before next week, at best.

"Right now I am physically at around 60 percent of my abilities," the EuroBasket 2009 MVP said in an interview with Canal Plus.

"It wasn't good for me, it wasn't good for the team, perhaps I should have [sat out] earlier."

Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#376 » by Saltine » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:02 am

He makes far to much cash for us to trade for him, it just makes no sense. Which is nice, the last thing we need is another injured player. :)
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#377 » by Esohny » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:11 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Does this help change anyones mind?

Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.

Yeah, it was kind of a "huh?" sort of question.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#378 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:30 am

Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.

Everyone's saying Pau's regression is due to old age, not due to injury. Knowing that it's due to injury, and he's nowhere near 100% but still putting up similar numbers to Pekovic?

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#379 » by Esohny » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:45 am

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.

Everyone's saying Pau's regression is due to old age, not due to injury. Knowing that it's due to injury, and he's nowhere near 100% but still putting up similar numbers to Pekovic?

Who is also not healthy?

And no, the 13+ seasons of wear on Gasol's knees and the decline that started last season don't make me want to pretend that he's suddenly going to be a superstar again when he's "healthy."
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#380 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:47 am

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:

You shouldnt assume that Pau is going to fully recover from his injury and be the same player that he was for another 2 or 3 years. Who knows with knees, especially the knees of a 32 year old 7 footer with a lot of basketball mileage on him

And while his numbers might be similar, Pau's defense has been AWFUL. he can't guard anyone on the perimeter, PnR, or rotate quickly. And well, if you can't do that, you suck at defense in the NBA

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves