ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#21 » by Jajwanda » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 am

champalift wrote:http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/11/26/morning-tip-bobcats-turning-things-around/index.html
See in the "Nobody asked me but" section
Again: I have no information -- none -- that the Lakers are contemplating trading Gasol, or are entertaining or seeking offers for Gasol. This is pure speculation, not information or even rumor. This is me thinking out loud.
In this (imaginary) deal, Washington would send second-year forward Chris Singleton and former Laker Trevor Ariza to the Lakers, who would also get guards Luke Ridnour and J.J. Barea from Minnesota. The Wizards and Wolves would, essentially, swap 2011 Lottery picks about which both are quite uncertain, with Washington's Jan Vesely going to Minnesota and Minnesota's Derrick Williams going to Washington, along with center Nikola Pekovic. Guard Chris Duhon would go from the Lakers to Wizards to make the trade work cap-wise.

Pure speculation.

Not the same trade. You guys get Kim English in the deal also.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#22 » by funkatron101 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:57 am

Jajwanda wrote:
Not the same trade. You guys get Kim English in the deal also.

Holy S#it, that changes everything! :lol:
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#23 » by shortodom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:36 am

another rumor i just wanted to let u guys know about

"According to ESPNLA host "@MsErikaGarza: Lakers would get: Trevor Ariza, Derrick Williams, J Jerebko, & JJ Barea, Minn. would get Gasol & Kim English, Wizards would get Duhon & N. Pekovic from Minn. & C Villanueva from Pistons, Pistons would get Emeka Okafor... #TradeRumors"
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#24 » by AQuintus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 am

Jajwanda wrote:Just curious what do you think Pau would be worth if he was his old self (19/10, 55% FG, plus assists, above average rebounding, above average shot-blocker)? Let's say to a team that needs a C.

Less than 20 million dollars a year.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#25 » by AQuintus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am

shortodom wrote:another rumor i just wanted to let u guys know about

"According to ESPNLA host "@MsErikaGarza: Lakers would get: Trevor Ariza, Derrick Williams, J Jerebko, & JJ Barea, Minn. would get Gasol & Kim English, Wizards would get Duhon & N. Pekovic from Minn. & C Villanueva from Pistons, Pistons would get Emeka Okafor... #TradeRumors"

There would have to be multiple lightly protected 1sts coming back to Minnesota for this to even remotely make sense.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#26 » by Tirion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:56 am

C.lupus wrote:Haha, so Minnesota is going to send it's starting C, both of it's backup PGs (without even knowing how Rubio is going to play), and Williams to fill a position that doesn't need to be filled? Dave, just stop thinking out loud, k?

Pau is a center though.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#27 » by The J Rocka » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 am

How do the Wizards get Pek for Ariza & Okafor? They would have to give up like two 1sts
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#28 » by Piecake » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 am

Why does it seem like any trade involving LA is absolutely terrible?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#29 » by C.lupus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Tirion wrote:
C.lupus wrote:Haha, so Minnesota is going to send it's starting C, both of it's backup PGs (without even knowing how Rubio is going to play), and Williams to fill a position that doesn't need to be filled? Dave, just stop thinking out loud, k?

Pau is a center though.

Yes, and our need is at SG. Swapping centers does nothing for this team when Malcolm Lee is the starting SG.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#30 » by guille_4 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Pau definitely needs a change of scenario.

I have absolutely no hope on DWill and think JJ is overpaid. As the spaniard I am, I actually wouldn't mind the trade. Pekovic simply isn't stepping up. Pau isn't a worse defender than Pekovic and would have the spacing next to KLove to play close to the basket, where he has always thrived. On defense, he's always done a better job defending Cs than PFs (See 08-09 vs. Dwight or 09-10 vs Garnett).

So getting rid of DWill and JJ's contracts for Pau's awful contract doesn't seem that bad. If there where some sweeteners included I'd pull that trade. But let's be honest, I'm pretty damn biased! :)
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#31 » by Mattya » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm

First off I don't buy that DA makes up a trade like this, then a day later a Lakers source has info including 3 of the 4 teams DA had involved. Seems way too coincidental. Now if we are getting a very lightly protected first or Beal back in the deal, sure, but no way does Ariza and Okafor get you a player like Pek.
cojayar
Junior
And1: 106

Post#32 » by cojayar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:
cojayar wrote:If Pau takes a salary cut for next year

I don't think that's even possible under the CBA.

Correct.

Amazing someone could call Barea "expensive" at $4.6 mil, when Pau Gasol makes $19 million.

Things are expensive or cheap depending on the VALUE and the PRICE, not only on the price. A house for 5.000 bucks is cheap. A lollypop for 2.000 dollars is expensive.

Pau for 19 millions is expensive, Barea for more than 3 millions is expensive. Pau for 10-12 millions is a good price.
cojayar
Junior
And1: 106

Post#33 » by cojayar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Esohny wrote:But he's SPANISH!

And you are something else, that I will not pronounce (kids are still around).
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#34 » by Krapinsky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Mattya wrote:First off I don't buy that DA makes up a trade like this, then a day later a Lakers source has info including 3 of the 4 teams DA had involved. Seems way too coincidental. Now if we are getting a very lightly protected first or Beal back in the deal, sure, but no way does Ariza and Okafor get you a player like Pek.

From the Wiz perspective, the fact that they have to take on Villanueva neutralizes Pek's value a little bit. Then there's also the fact that Pek is a free agent.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#35 » by shrink » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm

cojayar wrote:
shrink wrote:Amazing someone could call Barea "expensive" at $4.6 mil, when Pau Gasol makes $19 million.

Things are expensive or cheap depending on the VALUE and the PRICE, not only on the price. A house for 5.000 bucks is cheap. A lollypop for 2.000 dollars is expensive.

Pau for 19 millions is expensive, Barea for more than 3 millions is expensive. Pau for 10-12 millions is a good price.

I agree with your general contention, but not the specifics. I see no reason to think Barea is worth less than $1.5 mil in the standard market. And I agree Pau at $10-12 would be very good.

I look at things differently. Even with your numbers, to me Barea is only using up $3 mil of payroll that could go to better production, but Pau is wasting $8 mil. If you're not the Lakers, you can't afford to waste $8 mil of your payroll -- you can get a pretty impactful starter for $8 mil in the open market.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#36 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 pm

I actually wouldn't want to trade Pek because of his defensive improvement. His offense will come around.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#37 » by black bart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Pau + wizards first for pek + williams would be an incredible trade. Pau still has value and wizards are literally last place with that team. If it is unprotected of course. Automatic 1st or 2nd pick.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#38 » by C.lupus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm

So Pek + last year's draft bust for Pau + next year's draft bust. Hmmmm, interesting.
trevor0333
Senior
And1: 86

Post#39 » by trevor0333 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 am

These rumors are silly, while I have no doubt the Wolves would be interested in Pau if the salary wasnt such a restriction in making a deal. Remember Kahn passed on Iggy cause he hated his contract.

Barea & Ridnour are solid backup change of pace option on the roster. However neither of these guys has any clue on how to setup a guy like Pek. None. Wait until Rubio comes back and Pek's offensive game will tremendously improve. They can not trade these guys until Rubio is back and in starter form.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#40 » by Tirion » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:16 am

C.lupus wrote:
Tirion wrote:

Pau is a center though.

Yes, and our need is at SG. Swapping centers does nothing for this team when Malcolm Lee is the starting SG.

It's not swapping, it's upgrading, Gasol is still better than PEK. Otherwise you're right, no way we give up a trade asset like PEK withour getting a starting SG in return.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves