ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#301 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:50 am

Tirion wrote:If I'm giving up on PEK and taking on Gasol's salary I want a starting caliber SG in the deal.

Id add Meeks for a 1st

JR : Next Gen
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#302 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:58 am

GhostX wrote:
Tirion wrote:If I'm giving up on PEK and taking on Gasol's salary I want a starting caliber SG in the deal.

Id add Meeks for a 1st

Your overrating Meeks if you think he makes up the lopsidedness of this trade as well as make us add a first. Badly.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#303 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:59 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Tirion wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:How can a player be overpaid and at the same time have positive trade value?

It's called "positional scarcity" or "scarcity value". Like for example, majority of centers in the league are overpaid relative to their production on the court, but they still have positive value (Hibbert, Lopez, etc).

I don't follow this logic. If there's a positive trade market for an asset, then the asset is undervalued. That's how valuation works. At some point a player become overpaid and then his trade value becomes nil.

"value" doesn't equal "contract".

player's contract is just one of the factors, determining his value. a major one, but not the only one.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#304 » by The J Rocka » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:00 am

GhostX wrote:

Id add Meeks for a 1st

We'll just stick with Shved/Lee.

A 1st for Meeks? Crazy talk.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#305 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:02 am

GhostX wrote:

Id add Meeks for a 1st

And I'll show you my Harden for cash considerations, but what does our kinks have to do with it?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#306 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:02 am

Tirion wrote:"value" doesn't equal "contract".

player's contract is just one of the factors, determining his value. a major one, but not the only one.

Care to extrapolate? I honestly do not follow. If you're willing to sign a player to a certain amount aren't you paying him how much you value him?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#307 » by Worm Guts » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:04 am

The J Rocka wrote:We'll just overpay Pek anyways. I don't think he's worth the max (I bet he'll get that offered, if not from us, someone like Portland). He's not a player that will make us a 'serious contender' IMO and his durability has to be somewhat of a concern.

If we want to make a serious run in the playoffs, we need to go 'all in'. Clock is ticking for us. With the team we have now, 6-8th seed - first/second round exit for few years until Love has finally had enough and walks? At least Gasol will be off the books by 2014 when we can offer a max contract, maybe even two, to a vast variety of FAs and not be stuck being mediocre.

if we can get everybody healthy we might make it pass the first round this year. Especially if Pek is playing well enough to get a max contract.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:11 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Tirion wrote:"value" doesn't equal "contract".

Care to extrapolate? I honestly do not follow. If you're willing to sign a player to a certain amount aren't you paying him how much you value him?

Not necessarily.

First, value is subjective. If a player worth MAX money to one team it doesn't mean he's worth the same to every other team. For example a player is not worth as much to a team, who already has someone as good or better at his position. But a team that has nobody will gladly (over)pay to have him instead of well... nothing.
Second, you may not be willing to sign him for that ammount, but end up having to, like Portland did with Batum for example. For all the talk about NBA being a market, I don't really believe that the invisible hand was involved on this one. That was just two rich dudes **** with each other.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#309 » by AQuintus » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:12 am

Krapinsky wrote:

Not necessarily. A lot of times, teams pay for what they project a player will become. Which is why a guy like DeAndre Jordan can get a 10 million a year contract after a fairly mediocre start to his career. Paying for potential is why factors like age, injury history, athleticism, and mental issues to name a few factor into player value.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by The J Rocka » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:15 am

Worm Guts wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:We'll just overpay Pek anyways. I don't think he's worth the max (I bet he'll get that offered, if not from us, someone like Portland). He's not a player that will make us a 'serious contender' IMO and his durability has to be somewhat of a concern.

If we want to make a serious run in the playoffs, we need to go 'all in'. Clock is ticking for us. With the team we have now, 6-8th seed - first/second round exit for few years until Love has finally had enough and walks? At least Gasol will be off the books by 2014 when we can offer a max contract, maybe even two, to a vast variety of FAs and not be stuck being mediocre.

if we can get everybody healthy we might make it pass the first round this year. Especially if Pek is playing well enough to get a max contract.

I don't think we can make it to the WCF. If we can even squeeze in, first/second round exit is what my gut is going with. I just think with Gasol we take that next step forward and can bang with the Grizzlies, Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, etc. If we still can't get over the hump, at least we're not locked into any long term commitments. We'll have plenty of flexibility.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#311 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:16 am

Worm Guts wrote:

Memphis, OKC, SAS, LAC.

I don't see how the Wolves can beat any of this teams without another starting caliber wing.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#312 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:18 am

AQuintus wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Not necessarily. A lot of times, teams pay for what they project a player will become. Which is why a guy like DeAndre Jordan can get a 10 million a year contract after a fairly mediocre start to his career. Paying for potential is why factors like age, injury history, athleticism, and mental issues to name a few factor into player value.

But how do you separate those factors? If I'm trading for Jordan I'm including all those factors in his value, no? Potential is included, isn't it?

An extreme situation -- is Bradley Beal than considered overpaid in your opinion? Sure his production today doesn't = his contract. But if he was a free agent, wouldn't a team pay him more than his rookie contract to sign him? Isn't he then considered underpaid?

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#313 » by AQuintus » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:32 am

Krapinsky wrote:But how do you separate those factors? If I'm trading for Jordan I'm including all those factors in his value, no? Potential is included, isn't it?

If you're trading for someone, then yes there potential would be factored in. The way I look at it is if you're going to sign or trade for someone, you have to evaluate if you believe that they will either match or exceed the value of their contract sometime during it's duration. If the answer is yes, then they have positive value. If the answer is no (which it probably is for Pau), then they have negative value.

An extreme situation -- is Bradley Beal than considered overpaid in your opinion?

No, because there's still a decent likelihood that he matches or exceeds his current contract during its duration.

Sure his production today doesn't = his contract. But if he was a free agent, wouldn't a team pay him more than his rookie contract to sign him? Isn't he then considered underpaid?

Yes. Most highly drafted rookies are underpaid, which is why high draft picks are so valuable. An MVP level player on a rookie contract like Derrick Rose is worth way more than a borderline all-star player on a max deal like Pau Gasol.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#314 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:36 am

Okay, then for purposes of Gasol -- how do you correlate the fact that posters consider him overpaid, but still worth net positive trade value? Obviously potential doesn't equal into the equation.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by The J Rocka » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:41 am

Krapinsky wrote:Okay, then for purposes of Gasol -- how do you correlate the fact that posters consider him overpaid, but still worth net positive trade value? Obviously potential doesn't equal into the equation.

They know he can still play once he's in a new environment playing his natural position. His injury is nothing serious and he becomes a giant expiring next season. Some people like to overreact and think he's in Carlos Boozer territory in terms of decline & contract but the reality is, he's not.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#316 » by Cashin out » Fri Dec 7, 2012 6:19 am

What do you guys think about Dwill's game is he in the wrong system or is he just a a draft bust?
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#317 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 7, 2012 6:40 am

Cashin out wrote:What do you guys think about Dwill's game is he in the wrong system or is he just a a draft bust?

He's been good when he's played. Not a draft bust. Our announcer Jim Peterson, really likes the kid. I think it has more to do with Adelman preferring older guys than anything else.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#318 » by horaceworthy » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:07 am

Krapinsky wrote:Okay, then for purposes of Gasol -- how do you correlate the fact that posters consider him overpaid, but still worth net positive trade value? Obviously potential doesn't equal into the equation.

Because while Pau makes too much money, he's probably the only, big man who's both available and an upgrade over Pek. The warts (contract, age, knees, etc.) would cause some players to be unable to garner positive value, in Pau's case they cause him to be available.

Personally, I'd rather the Wolves roll with what they have. I'd at least like to get a glimpse of what Pek, Love, Rubio and AK47 look like together on the floor before breaking it up. I understand that the Chicken Littles are out in full force, but 8-9 while missing 2 of our 3 best players for all but 4 games isn't the end of the world. The only move I really think I'd be in favor of would be DWilliams and Ridnour for an upgrade at SG.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#319 » by southern wolf » Fri Dec 7, 2012 10:55 am

I still don't think Pau will be traded, but if Kahn gives up Pek for him I will be livid.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#320 » by Maefteda » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:15 am

I think a package of Pek, Williams, Ridnour, Roy(Exp), (Lee, Stiemsma, Pick), should be able to get us Pau AND a solid young SG on a nice contract. If we can get someone like T. Ross, Brooks, Burks, Rivers, Stephenson etc. I approve of a Pau trade, if not, I'd look for better options to make our team better.

I don't think Pek is enough to be a contender. Our current team is good, but we are still behind a team like Clippers who are pretty comparable to us. Pau could bring us something different. He has Championship experience, could work out really well, and if it doesn't work out, he expires in time for our reboot after next season, when Love probably wants out if we haven't passed the 1st round of the play-offs yet.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves