ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#41 » by lobishome » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 am

1) MARCA is a big piece of $hit. Bleacher Report is a potential Pulitzer winner compared with them.

2) If we sign Pau and the thing goes bad, this dude is (practically) untradeable the next year and we cant sign sign another good player until 2014. Love will be UFE at 2015 and Ricky will end the fourth year of his contract. This operation is too risky for the future of the franchise at medium term.

3) I think Pekovic is a (little) overrated here, but I would try to re-sign him next summer for a reasonable amount of money.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#42 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Dec 1, 2012 7:33 am

Pek is actually underrated here. He's still the best option on our offense even with currently bad looking hook shot and poor feeds by Luke and JJ, and he's a good defender. He'd be a great defender if he defended drives better than he does.
kosarev
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#43 » by kosarev » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:13 pm

u
cloudXXI wrote:http://www.marca.com/2012/11/28/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1354127034.html

The sourse, apparently, is David Aldridge on ESPN TV.

Marca isn´t the most reliable source for NBA news, so is any talking about this on USA? Is there any chance for the trade?

Being Spanish, I would love to watch Ricky and Pau together.

Marca isnt th best source for anything. Even the date is suspect on that newspaper. May explain why thebcoubtry is going down the drain that its selling above 3 million daily.

I dont like thentrade. Paus contract is massive and he is going downhill. Even if he gets back to its old seld, he doeant have more thab 2-3 good years on him. He should think of ending his nba career with his actual contract and going back home to Barcelona.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#44 » by Dewey » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:27 pm

Pek has little upside but his performance can be elevated with a good PG like Rubio ... how much do you pay a supporting player like this long-term? can he stay healthy? Pau is not necessarily the answer, but when you do the math his salary can be managed short-term. Here again, can he help us move the peg or has he also reach a level where he's merely a suppoort player too? Can he stay healthy?

complacent to compete is one thing, but drive to win will require some risky moves.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#45 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:43 pm

Pau is definitely not the answer. What is he better at than Pek, his mid-range game? We have plenty of guys with a mid-range game: Ridnour, Howard, Love can space the floor, Cunningham. Pek is a beast near the rim and continues to improve his defense.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#46 » by Dewey » Sat Dec 1, 2012 8:19 pm

[RCG] wrote:Pau is definitely not the answer. What is he better at than Pek, his mid-range game? We have plenty of guys with a mid-range game: Ridnour, Howard, Love can space the floor, Cunningham. Pek is a beast near the rim and continues to improve his defense.

Pau is 7' presence on both ends of the floor, great mid-range game, and is a better passer/facilitator than any of the players you mentioned ... not saying I want him for the $$ ... just sayin

I give the Pekasaurus a ton of credit for the shape he is in and what he brings to the team, but nonetheless, he has poor hands, average defensive capability, and does not contribute outside of 5' from the basket.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#47 » by Piecake » Sat Dec 1, 2012 8:38 pm

Dewey wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Pau is definitely not the answer. What is he better at than Pek, his mid-range game? We have plenty of guys with a mid-range game: Ridnour, Howard, Love can space the floor, Cunningham. Pek is a beast near the rim and continues to improve his defense.

Pau is 7' presence on both ends of the floor, great mid-range game, and is a better passer/facilitator than any of the players you mentioned ... not saying I want him for the $$ ... just sayin

I give the Pekasaurus a ton of credit for the shape he is in and what he brings to the team, but nonetheless, he has poor hands, average defensive capability, and does not contribute outside of 5' from the basket.

Pau is a horrible defender
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#48 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:48 am

^ Pau is not a horrible defender. Not sure why you would say that. He's not elite by any means but his length definitely makes him a pretty good defender.
Piecake
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:14 am

moss_is_1 wrote:^ Pau is not a horrible defender. Not sure why you would say that. He's not elite by any means but his length definitely makes him a pretty good defender.

He cant guard pick and rolls, does an incredibly poor job of contesting outside shots, and is not a good team defender. Sure, his length can bother people on the block, but there is a lot more to defense than that
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#50 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 2, 2012 7:25 am

The point is that Pek fits in the Wolves, and we don't know if Pau would. You just don't change a winning horse.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,239

Post#51 » by Murphs56 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:10 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:The point is that Pek fits in the Wolves, and we don't know if Pau would. You just don't change a winning horse.

I agree. I think overall Pau is a MUCH better player than Pek. Offensively, defensively, you name it, he's better. He's a proven star in this league and has won multiple rings. However, Pau's game and Love's game don't compliment each other as well as Pek/Love imo. Love is the finesse guy on the outside, and Pek is the bruiser down low. Love's rebounding when he is inside opens up Pek to get his fair share of rebounds... Pau on the other hand likes to do a lot of the same crap Love does at the top. I don't think they mesh as well.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#52 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 2, 2012 1:36 pm

But how much does Pau have left in his tank? How motivated is he going to be? How much would he want to be paid once his contract ends in 2 years? Will he want to stay?

BTW Pau is not better defensively that Pek and his FG% this year is bad.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#53 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 2, 2012 1:46 pm

Pek and his strong pick'n'roll game makes sure that Rubio has the ball in his hands more. With Pau Adelman will be tempted to run the offense through him thus taking away the ball from Rubio. Pek also runs the floor much better than Pau thus making him a better fit in transition game with Rubio. And there's also the age factor.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#54 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 2, 2012 2:39 pm

Do
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#55 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 2, 2012 2:39 pm

Gasol used to be better than Pek. Pek has been more productive this year. I just don't know how much Gasol has left in the tank. The age and salary difference make it not worth the risk.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,398

Post#56 » by shrink » Sun Dec 2, 2012 2:50 pm

Murphs56 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:The point is that Pek fits in the Wolves, and we don't know if Pau would. You just don't change a winning horse.

I agree. I think overall Pau is a MUCH better player than Pek. Offensively, defensively, you name it, he's better. He's a proven star in this league and has won multiple rings. However, Pau's game and Love's game don't compliment each other as well as Pek/Love imo. Love is the finesse guy on the outside, and Pek is the bruiser down low. Love's rebounding when he is inside opens up Pek to get his fair share of rebounds... Pau on the other hand likes to do a lot of the same crap Love does at the top. I don't think they mesh as well.

Good post Murphs. We need to build around Love, and if Pek's defense continues to improve, especially if he can improve his help defense, he'd be a near-perfect compliment to Love.

EDIT: I must have skipped the first part. I don't think Pau is a much better player than Pek, but I agree that Pek is a much better fit with Love.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#57 » by [RCG] » Sun Dec 2, 2012 4:44 pm

Murphs56 wrote:

Much better player? What kool-aid are some of you guys drinking? Their offensive & defensive rating (ORtg/DRtg) are the exact same (106 &102). Their block and turnover %'s are negligibly different. Pau has a significantly higher assist % but with Rubio, Shved, Kirilenko we have guys who can move the ball, we just need Pek to rebound and put the ball in the hoop. Which Pek does a lot better than Gasol who has a TS% of 47.7% & eFG of 42.9% compared to Pek's 54.2 TS% and 48.7 eFG%. Pekovic also has a higher PER and WinShares.

Pekovic is the better player even without taking Gasol's ridiculous contract into account. And Pekovic is 26 and will be in his prime for another 4 to 6 years, perhaps longer as his game isn't based on athleticism. Gasol is 32, past his prime and only getting worse.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#58 » by younggunsmn » Sun Dec 2, 2012 7:10 pm

Pau is a much better defender next to a Bynum or Howard than next to Love (but then who isn't). Look at his time in Memphis. That and the knee tendinitis and age and contract differences, and I'll keep Pek.

Make no mistake about it though, Pau is a better player than Pek when he's healthy, he is just having an awful year and there are not enough touches for him on that team.
Piecake
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:52 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Pau is a much better defender next to a Bynum or Howard than next to Love (but then who isn't). Look at his time in Memphis. That and the knee tendinitis and age and contract differences, and I'll keep Pek.

Make no mistake about it though, Pau is a better player than Pek when he's healthy, he is just having an awful year and there are not enough touches for him on that team.

Thats the point though. He has knee tendinitis which makes his defense sucks at age 32. Do you think he is going to come back from that? I really dont, and if he does, its not going to be for long
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#60 » by [RCG] » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:18 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Pau is a much better defender next to a Bynum or Howard than next to Love (but then who isn't). Look at his time in Memphis. That and the knee tendinitis and age and contract differences, and I'll keep Pek.

I could see having an awful year because you're the focal point of every team you play but the Lakers have Bryant and Howard, not to mention Nash when he comes back. Gasol should at least be having a more efficient year which he definitely is not, so I don't buy "enough touches."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves