ImageImageImage

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: C.lupus, Klomp, Worm Guts

User avatar
Saltine
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,681
And1: 615
Joined: Jul 20, 2003
Location: Land o' Lakes
     

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#376 » by Saltine » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:02 am

He makes far to much cash for us to trade for him, it just makes no sense. Which is nice, the last thing we need is another injured player. :)
User avatar
Esohny
RealGM
Posts: 11,600
And1: 332
Joined: Apr 18, 2009
Location: Saint Paul
     

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#377 » by Esohny » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:11 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Does this help change anyones mind?

Gasol is listed as ‘day-to-day', but he will sit again on the bench against Oklahoma City Thunder on Friday night and is not expected to return to action before next week, at best.

"Right now I am physically at around 60 percent of my abilities," the EuroBasket 2009 MVP said in an interview with Canal Plus.

"It wasn't good for me, it wasn't good for the team, perhaps I should have [sat out] earlier."


Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.


Yeah, it was kind of a "huh?" sort of question.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,584
And1: 3,332
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#378 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:30 am

Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.


Yeah, it was kind of a "huh?" sort of question.

Everyone's saying Pau's regression is due to old age, not due to injury. Knowing that it's due to injury, and he's nowhere near 100% but still putting up similar numbers to Pekovic?
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Esohny
RealGM
Posts: 11,600
And1: 332
Joined: Apr 18, 2009
Location: Saint Paul
     

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#379 » by Esohny » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:45 am

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.


Yeah, it was kind of a "huh?" sort of question.

Everyone's saying Pau's regression is due to old age, not due to injury. Knowing that it's due to injury, and he's nowhere near 100% but still putting up similar numbers to Pekovic?


Who is also not healthy?

And no, the 13+ seasons of wear on Gasol's knees and the decline that started last season don't make me want to pretend that he's suddenly going to be a superstar again when he's "healthy."
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Piecake
Analyst
Posts: 3,436
And1: 72
Joined: Nov 13, 2010

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#380 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 9, 2012 5:47 am

Klomp wrote:
Esohny wrote:
AQuintus wrote:Does Pau being injured making anyone want him more? Is that what you're asking? Because the answer is no.


Yeah, it was kind of a "huh?" sort of question.

Everyone's saying Pau's regression is due to old age, not due to injury. Knowing that it's due to injury, and he's nowhere near 100% but still putting up similar numbers to Pekovic?


You shouldnt assume that Pau is going to fully recover from his injury and be the same player that he was for another 2 or 3 years. Who knows with knees, especially the knees of a 32 year old 7 footer with a lot of basketball mileage on him

And while his numbers might be similar, Pau's defense has been AWFUL. he can't guard anyone on the perimeter, PnR, or rotate quickly. And well, if you can't do that, you suck at defense in the NBA
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,584
And1: 3,332
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#381 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 6:49 am

Piecake wrote:And while his numbers might be similar, Pau's defense has been AWFUL. he can't guard anyone on the perimeter, PnR, or rotate quickly. And well, if you can't do that, you suck at defense in the NBA

This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
AQuintus
RealGM
Posts: 10,207
And1: 2,379
Joined: Jan 10, 2008
Location: But let me speak for the weak, I mean the rookies
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#382 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:11 am

Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.


Out of position at the same position that he's played his entire career.
Image
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,584
And1: 3,332
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#383 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:30 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.


Out of position at the same position that he's played his entire career.

Look at the difference last year on both ends of the court when KG switched from PF (the position he played his entire career) to C. I think thats the type of difference it would make for Pau as well.

The NBA is changing. You no longer need a traditional center to be effective. Thats why I don't feel Pekovic has as much value as some of you think. Sure he may be a top 10 center, but not every team even has a true center. I'd guess that close to half of the starting C's in the league would be considered PFs five years ago.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,620
And1: 398
Joined: Nov 18, 2009

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#384 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:37 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.


Out of position at the same position that he's played his entire career.

Not exactly, even though he's always been listed as a PF at least since his 3rd year in the league his role in the offense has been mainly create off the low post, that changed once Bynum became the second focal point of the offense in LA and has continued this season with Howard, reducing him to basically a jump shooter.
He looked as dominant as usual with the spanish NT last year in the Eurobasket and this summer in the Olympics for instance.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
Piecake
Analyst
Posts: 3,436
And1: 72
Joined: Nov 13, 2010

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#385 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:04 am

Klomp wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.


Out of position at the same position that he's played his entire career.

Look at the difference last year on both ends of the court when KG switched from PF (the position he played his entire career) to C. I think thats the type of difference it would make for Pau as well.

The NBA is changing. You no longer need a traditional center to be effective. Thats why I don't feel Pekovic has as much value as some of you think. Sure he may be a top 10 center, but not every team even has a true center. I'd guess that close to half of the starting C's in the league would be considered PFs five years ago.


A center still needs to defend the pick and roll and rotate effectively. I mean, we run the pick and roll with Pekovic fairly often, and we all saw how badly Lillard carved up our defense thanks to Love and Pekovic deciding not to hedge that game. Well, if we get Pau, thats going to happen all the time
User avatar
Klomp
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,584
And1: 3,332
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#386 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:08 am

Piecake wrote:A center still needs to defend the pick and roll and rotate effectively. I mean, we run the pick and roll with Pekovic fairly often, and we all saw how badly Lillard carved up our defense thanks to Love and Pekovic deciding not to hedge that game. Well, if we get Pau, thats going to happen all the time

Like I said, this is one area I'll concede.
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Maefteda
Pro Prospect
Posts: 995
And1: 274
Joined: Feb 18, 2012
       

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#387 » by Maefteda » Sun Dec 9, 2012 1:20 pm

For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

Not only that, a package of Pek, Williams, Rid/Barea, and possibly M. Lee, should be enough to get us a good SG aswell as Gortat.
NewWolvesOrder
Analyst
Posts: 3,379
And1: 272
Joined: Dec 20, 2008

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#388 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:08 pm

Maefteda wrote:For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

Not only that, a package of Pek, Williams, Rid/Barea, and possibly M. Lee, should be enough to get us a good SG aswell as Gortat.


I'd take Gortat over Gasol.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,549
And1: 376
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#389 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:14 pm

Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,549
And1: 376
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#390 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:22 pm

Maefteda wrote:For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

Not only that, a package of Pek, Williams, Rid/Barea, and possibly M. Lee, should be enough to get us a good SG aswell as Gortat.


This makes much more sense to me Maefteda.

I keep thinking if we build around Love, we need a center that can give us good defense. I like PHX because also because Gortat wants out, and they need a solution at center - they can't be confident a legit center would want to go there simply because they have cap space. Also, with Rubio here, I kind of like the idea that Gortat got some experience with nifty passing from Nash.
User avatar
FinnTheHuman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,681
And1: 561
Joined: Nov 22, 2012
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#391 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:30 pm

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

@topic I'd rather take Gortat, but only if we get a SG in that deal. If Gasol meant Gasol from 5 years ago, I'd take him feeling like we stole something. At this point, I would just forget about it, knees are knees, it would be too big a risk.
User avatar
C.lupus
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 26,871
And1: 5,778
Joined: Nov 02, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
   

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#392 » by C.lupus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:31 pm

Pekovic this year has a better DRtg and higher defensive win shares than Gortat. Just saying.
Image
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 16,745
And1: 1,252
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#393 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:41 pm

There's no way I give up assets just so I can swap Pekovic for Gortat. If for some reason they offer a straight trade, I guess, but I think we're much better off just focusing on a SG.
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,620
And1: 398
Joined: Nov 18, 2009

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#394 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:40 pm

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16.

Not that it matters much but that's not true. He only started having significant minutes with Barcelona's first team when he was 19.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,620
And1: 398
Joined: Nov 18, 2009

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#395 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:45 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

The official name of the basketball team (and any other section of the club) is also FC Barcelona.
http://www.acb.com/club.php?id=BAR&cod_ ... edicion=57
Regal is the sponsor.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves