yardbarker

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Basti, Klomp, C.lupus

Post#391 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 9:30 am by FinnTheHuman

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

@topic I'd rather take Gortat, but only if we get a SG in that deal. If Gasol meant Gasol from 5 years ago, I'd take him feeling like we stole something. At this point, I would just forget about it, knees are knees, it would be too big a risk.
FinnTheHuman


Rookie
User avatar
Posts: 1,226
And1: 291
Joined: Nov 21, 2012
Top

Post#392 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 9:31 am by C.lupus

Pekovic this year has a better DRtg and higher defensive win shares than Gortat. Just saying.
Image
C.lupus


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 24,205
And1: 3,493
Joined: Nov 2, 2007
Location: Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Top

Post#393 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 9:41 am by Worm Guts

There's no way I give up assets just so I can swap Pekovic for Gortat. If for some reason they offer a straight trade, I guess, but I think we're much better off just focusing on a SG.
Worm Guts



Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 14,952
And1: 475
Joined: Dec 26, 2003
Top

Post#394 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 10:40 am by sisibilio

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16.

Not that it matters much but that's not true. He only started having significant minutes with Barcelona's first team when he was 19.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,308
And1: 298
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#395 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 10:45 am by sisibilio

FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

The official name of the basketball team (and any other section of the club) is also FC Barcelona.
http://www.acb.com/club.php?id=BAR&cod_ ... edicion=57
Regal is the sponsor.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,308
And1: 298
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#396 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 11:23 am by guille_4

sisibilio wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

The official name of the basketball team (and any other section of the club) is also FC Barcelona.
http://www.acb.com/club.php?id=BAR&cod_ ... edicion=57
Regal is the sponsor.


Slap in the face! Oh you spaniard! :lol
guille_4
Senior
Posts: 734
And1: 35
Joined: Aug 22, 2010
Top

Post#397 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:16 pm by FinnTheHuman

Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.
FinnTheHuman


Rookie
User avatar
Posts: 1,226
And1: 291
Joined: Nov 21, 2012
Top

Post#398 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:15 pm by champalift

FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.


Never question shrink.
champalift



Junior
User avatar
Posts: 453
And1: 12
Joined: Jun 17, 2009
Location: Madison
Top

Post#399 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:20 pm by Cashin out

Hey guys just wanted to update you on the Pau rumor,according to our GM he wants to give Pau 2 weeks to see how he plays with Nash,they told him if he doesn't fit in they will look to trade him.So I don't really see anything happening anytime soon because I expect Pau to accept the challenge and play well because he loves LA.
Cashin out
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,457
And1: 12
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Top

Post#400 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:29 pm by shrink

champalift wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.


Never question shrink.


LOL! When it comes to me bringing up a name - better to never put any faith in it!
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 33,884
And1: 183
Joined: Sep 25, 2005
Top

Post#401 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:35 pm by LordBaldric

FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.


FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

@topic I'd rather take Gortat, but only if we get a SG in that deal. If Gasol meant Gasol from 5 years ago, I'd take him feeling like we stole something. At this point, I would just forget about it, knees are knees, it would be too big a risk.


Thank you. I've been wondering for years what FC stood for.
By the power of the Dark Side, free Kevin Love!
LordBaldric


Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,196
And1: 242
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Hair Force One
Top

Post#402 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sun Dec 9, 2012 6:39 pm by sisibilio

FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

It's not that strange, simply the club was first created as a football club and the other sports were added later.
There are many clubs with "odd" names like tat, in Argentina for instance you have football teams that belong to multisport clubs named "Gimnasia y esgrima (gymnastics and fencing) de La Plata" or basketball teams like "Regatas (rowing) de Corrientes" depending on the sport the original club was founded for.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,308
And1: 298
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

Post#403 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 am by FinnTheHuman

sisibilio wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

It's not that strange, simply the club was first created as a football club and the other sports were added later.
There are many clubs with "odd" names like tat, in Argentina for instance you have football teams that belong to multisport clubs named "Gimnasia y esgrima (gymnastics and fencing) de La Plata" or basketball teams like "Regatas (rowing) de Corrientes" depending on the sport the original club was founded for.


Still doesn't make enough sense. :D
FinnTheHuman


Rookie
User avatar
Posts: 1,226
And1: 291
Joined: Nov 21, 2012
Top

Post#404 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm by Klomp

Well here you go

“@DarrenWolfson: Didn't happen. “@mnsportsinsider: @DarrenWolfson Have you been able to verify if the #TWolves offered Pek for Pau?””
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 34,766
And1: 1,327
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

Post#405 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:00 pm by Mattya

Klomp wrote:Well here you go

“@DarrenWolfson: Didn't happen. “@mnsportsinsider: @DarrenWolfson Have you been able to verify if the #TWolves offered Pek for Pau?””



Well it is nice to be reaffirmed, but that won't help the rampant trade board stupidity. Once ESPN says something it is fact.
Mattya


Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 6,680
And1: 737
Joined: Aug 8, 2008
Top

Post#406 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm by Saltine

Yep, like when we sent Beasley to the Lakers last season, and the Ridnour to Portland trade, or when we moved Rubio to the Knicks so he'd finally come to the US to play ball...

Though without the NY/LA media bias ESPN would have nothing to post about basketball beyond LeBron.
Saltine



Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,737
And1: 258
Joined: Jul 20, 2003
Location: Land o' Lakes
Top

Post#407 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm by shrink

shrink wrote: The reason a Pau Gasol trade seems so unlikely is that the team would struggle to add enough negative value to a trade to make that salary equal for two years to Pau's expected value. Sure, he may return to form - but I think even the most fervent Laker fan would admit that there is significant risk that he does not, and with one of the most expensive contracts in the NBA, that's a huge huge gamble. Normal, cost-conscious teams like the Wolves can't drop $20 mil on one, under-performing player, and hope they have much chance that the rest of the payroll can still win.

One answer may be putting another piece into the trade that has a decent amount of negative trade value for year 2. The problem is that no one on the Wolves roster right now fits that description. Roy's contract ends, Ridnour and Barea have contracts that aren't really out of sync for good back-up PG's, Williams still carries positive value on the hope he makes good. Money has value, so adding the trade difference (less than $5 mil) is just making the deal worse for the Wolves.

Let me give an example. Suppose MIN went to OKC and said, what would you give us to get out from under Perkins contract? Expiring Roy and Barea for Perkins 3-year deal - would that get us Jeremy Lamb? OKC say, "Yeah - we need to move that deal, but we need a center coming back. If it was Pek and Barea, would you consider it if we added Perry Jones?" In this example, MIN may like the price, but not want to hold onto Perkins. In that case, it might make sense talking to LAL.


Now I'm not specifically advocating a deal with OKC, but I think the format is the only way to do a Gasol trade. We need to split a good asset into a very good one and a bad one (2-year overpaid but productive?), and then include the bad one in a package we'd send for Gasol.

Any ideas?
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 33,884
And1: 183
Joined: Sep 25, 2005
Top

Post#408 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm by shrink

Maybe Ridnour for Beasley and a Top 12 protected pick?

PHX wants to move Beasley on his new $5.75/$6.0/$6.25 pg deal, and it sounds like they'd take a non-productive expiring and eat salary this year just to be rid of him. Ridnour may be a good fit, since he's productive for both years, he saves Sarver $1.75 mil this year, and their current back-up PG is Telfair.

We get Beasley, but include him in a package for Gasol - pocketing that pick? He's has negative trade value, but the Lakers were interested in him last year at the trade deadline.


I could use more names of semi-productive, overpriced players on contracts in the $5-10 mil range.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 33,884
And1: 183
Joined: Sep 25, 2005
Top

Post#409 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm by eyeteeth

shrink wrote:
I could use more names of semi-productive, overpriced players on contracts in the $5-10 mil range.

The only place I want to read those names are in other teams' tales of woe. :D
Image
@eatyerbroccoli
eyeteeth
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,919
And1: 60
Joined: Jul 17, 2010
Location: St. Paul
Top

Post#410 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:02 pm by Klomp

As long as Pau Gasol is a Laker, trade rumors will percolate, and as they do, they will always include the Wolves.

The fact is Kahn and Adelman love the thought of Gasol in their offense. Adelman's recipe for success in Sacramento was due in large part to Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. The Wolves look at Love and Gasol as comparable to that duo.

Gasol is an excellent passer. Adelman loves big men who excel at that. A team source said Taylor is willing to go over the luxury tax for the 2013-14 season if the right deal presents itself. With a salary of nearly $20 million next year, Gasol fits that mold.


http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_ ... ades010313
Image
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp


Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
User avatar
Posts: 34,766
And1: 1,327
Joined: Jul 8, 2005
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ashwinz., Bittertown, Danish Wolf, DrEvil1996, Esohny, Gideon, Kaled, mab2039, Narf, Nitroglycerin, shoefly1, Swish4, Vuc N Pek, wildvikeswolves, Winter Wonder, zauchary