yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Basti, C.lupus, Klomp

Post#421 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:43 am by C.lupus

I blame Klomp for posting that Wolfson quote. Ultimate Troll Mod indeed.
C.lupus

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 3,917

Post#422 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:55 am by Klomp

C.lupus wrote:I blame Klomp for posting that Wolfson quote. Ultimate Troll Mod indeed.

:wave: :lol: :rofl: 8-) :naaa: :crazy: :noway:
DusterBuster wrote:Klomp is like the ultimate troll mod.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 1,842

Post#423 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:57 am by Klomp

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#424 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:12 am by shrink

If there is ever a Gasol trade, and I hope there is not, it will be one with a third team. MIN simply doesn't have the negative value on the team to equate to the amount that Pau is overpaid, at $40 mil through 2014. What would Gasol get in free agency at this point? I can't imagine he'd get more than $11 per year, from some desperate team - meaning he needs $9 mil per year in valueless stuff back. Or more precisely, the package shouldn't be

Let's start with a package from the poll I mentioned in the poll that everyone hated:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1222611

Williams + Roy (expiring/negative) + Ridnour or Barea + maybe Steimsma

2012-13
productive part of Gasol's salary $11 =< Williams + Barea + $2 mil cap space
zero production part of Gasol overpaid $4 = Roy
zero production part of Gasol overpaid $5 mil << cap space (pay nothing) or Steimsma ($1 mil over?)

2013-14
productive part of Gasol's salary $11 =< Williams + Barea + $2 mil cap space
zero production part of Gasol overpaid $9 mil << cap space (pay nothing)

.. but a third team will be involved, that will turn one of our assets into a negative (probably overpaid vet) and a positive (like a pick). LAL gets the overpaid vet (no more than two years), and we get the positive perk to trade later. That third team may be one that wants to get young(and likes Derrick Williams), needs a solution at back-up PG (several), or needs to clear some cap space, and can use the expiring more than lux-strained LAL (turning a two-year deal into an expiring).

A good place to start is to look for other teams' vets with two-year deals that are a little overpaid. If they could fit better with Dantoni, that'd be a big help. I'm sure LAL would love Kirilenko in a deal, but he's too valuable here, and well worth the $10 mil we pay him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 255

Post#425 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:20 am by Dewey

I like
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Dewey
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#426 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:27 am by Grits n Gravy

Dewey wrote:

I like

i don't...goodbye pek and bud. and i want to hold on to dw and see whast he can become.
Zach Lavine #8
Grits n Gravy

Head Coach
And1: 317

Post#427 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:46 am by shrink

Grits n Gravy wrote: i don't...goodbye pek and bud. and i want to hold on to dw and see whast he can become.

This is the point that I think Laker fans ignore. Because Roy needs to be in the deal to come closer to trade value, most packages not only costs what we'd give up, but may cost us Pek and Buddinger next year too.

We have to hope that in a Pau trade, Taylor is willing to pay the lux in 2013-14. I'm not saying that's impossible, but if players are going to cost us double (with far less revenues than LA), that means we're giving up even more.
shrink
RealGM

Post#428 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:48 am by Dewey

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I like

i don't...goodbye pek and bud. and i want to hold on to dw and see whast he can become.

For what we give up here, Pau adds an elite 3rd big and is great insurance (aka Pekasaurus). A 3-man rotation will really add longevity for our bigs - they all have different skill sets and Pau for 15-20 a night would be a nice fit. My concern is that while this would be an offensive luxury, it does not help on the defensive side.

lastly, I like this deal, but clearly we cannot allow it to consume our ability to get a 3-pt shooter to go along with Bud (when healthy).
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Dewey
Analyst

Post#429 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:54 am by Dewey

shrink wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote: i don't...goodbye pek and bud. and i want to hold on to dw and see whast he can become.

This is the point that I think Laker fans ignore. Because Roy needs to be in the deal to come closer to trade value, most packages not only costs what we'd give up, but may cost us Pek and Buddinger next year too.

We have to hope that in a Pau trade, Taylor is willing to pay the lux in 2013-14. I'm not saying that's impossible, but if players are going to cost us double (with far less revenues than LA), that means we're giving up even more.

Short-term (this year and next year) is a non-issue, but if we are talking longer, then it's a different story and could cause problems.
Dewey
Analyst

Post#430 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:57 am by shrink

OK, let me give it a try: I'm looking for guys that fit most of these characteristics:

1. Are making around $12 mil, but producing about $8 mil?
2. Contract is 2 years
3. That are on teams that would like to move them - probably rebuilding
4. Would fit with Lakers in a Dantoni system (you tell me which guys wouldn't fit)

Kris Humphries ($12.0, $12.0)
Ben Gordon ($12.4, $13.2)
Shawn Marion ($8.4, $9.0)
Monta Ellis ($11.0, $11.0)
Turkoglu ($11.1, $12.0)
Okafor ($13.5, $14.5)
Ariza ($7.3, $7.7)

Any others? Which would fit, or not fit, Dantoni's Lakers if they traded Pau?
shrink
RealGM

Post#431 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:33 am by shrink

Maybe I should give an example. Again, you guys need to tell me if Okafor and Ariza would help LAL.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a6ybzv6

EDIT: Amundsen + M. Lee used instead of Cunningham. This works if MIN does the deal as a simultaneous trade, Steimsma + Amundsen for Crawford + Vesely

LAL GIVES: Gasol + Blake
LAL GETS: Okafor + Ariza + Ridnour + M Lee

WAS GIVES: Okafor + Ariza + Crawford + Vesely
WAS GETS: Derrick Williams + Roy + Steimsma + Amundsen + Blake

MIN GIVES: Derrick Williams + Amundsen + M Lee + Steimsma + Roy + Ridnour
MIN GETS: Gasol + Crawford + Vesely

LAL moves Gasol's over-priced deal for two, lesser over-priced deals, including a big man replacement. Ridnour for Blake really helps their big need at PG. All three deals are only two years, so they can go under the lux.

WAS rebuilds by getting out from Okafor and Ariza's deals using Crawford and Vesely to do it -- avoiding their three most important young assets (Wall, Beal and their pick). Derrick Williams is a nice prize for them, and Roy, Amundsen and Steimsma (partial guarantee) create cap space. Have to eat Blake for $4 mil though, but he will get minutes.

MIN gets some compensation for taking on the overpaid contract of Pau Gasol. Williams would have less fit with Gasol here, and maybe Vesely can catch on. J Crawford is a huge fit, and would probably start right away.
shrink
RealGM

Post#432 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:37 am by C.lupus

C.lupus

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 3,917

Post#433 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:16 am by Maefteda

Take out Cunningham and Vesely from that trade, and I'd do it. Cunningham provides us with insurance from a Pau Gasol injury, while he can provide back-up at SF aswell. He offers nothing to a rebuilding Wizards team where Vesely still has some upside.
Maefteda

Pro Prospect
And1: 211

Post#434 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:11 pm by shrink

Maefteda wrote:Take out Cunningham and Vesely from that trade, and I'd do it. Cunningham provides us with insurance from a Pau Gasol injury, while he can provide back-up at SF aswell. He offers nothing to a rebuilding Wizards team where Vesely still has some upside.

Good eye. There are two things I don't like about the trade .. MIN losing Cunningham, and WAS taking on Blake's two-year deal.

I tried to work on keeping Cunningham out, but keeping Vesely in for value purposes. Unfortunately, Amundsen and Malcolm Lee combined miss by about $0.3 mil. Let me give it a try as simultaneous trades. The fact that the pieces go over $20 mil changes the math.

Do the rest of you feel that Dante has more value here than Vesely? Veseley's been kind of a bust so far.
shrink
RealGM

Post#435 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:18 pm by IShotTheMaid

I just don't want Pau Gasol on the Wolves AT ALL. I'd rather keep D-Will (potential) and Dante (heart/hustle).

Just because Rubio is Spanish, doesn't mean the Wolves HAVE to trade for Pau. Enough already.
IShotTheMaid
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#436 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40 am by Klomp

Don't worry, nothing new, just spitballing.

Wolfson said in his "Scoops" today that Lakers have asked about Dante. This makes me think that Derrick is off-limits for now, which makes a lot of you happy. It also makes sense that the Lakers would be more interested in Dante than Derrick.

Which brings me to this...I know people are hesitant to deal Pek/Derrick package for Pau. Would a Pek/Dante package be better?

Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#437 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 am by [RCG]

Klomp wrote:Don't worry, nothing new, just spitballing.

Wolfson said in his "Scoops" today that Lakers have asked about Dante. This makes me think that Derrick is off-limits for now, which makes a lot of you happy. It also makes sense that the Lakers would be more interested in Dante than Derrick.

Which brings me to this...I know people are hesitant to deal Pek/Derrick package for Pau. Would a Pek/Dante package be better?

Is one stab wound better than two?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#438 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am by Grits n Gravy

[RCG] wrote:
Klomp wrote:Don't worry, nothing new, just spitballing.

Is one stab wound better than two?

:lol: this
Zach Lavine #8
Grits n Gravy

Head Coach
And1: 317

Post#439 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 am by AQuintus

Klomp wrote:
Wolfson said in his "Scoops" today that Lakers have asked about Dante. This makes me think that Derrick is off-limits for now, which makes a lot of you happy.

Not following your logic here. Because someone asked about Dante that means Williams is off limits?

Of course not.
AQuintus

General Manager
And1: 1,683

Post#440 Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspap
Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 am by Klomp

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Wolfson said in his "Scoops" today that Lakers have asked about Dante. This makes me think that Derrick is off-limits for now, which makes a lot of you happy.

Not following your logic here. Because someone asked about Dante that means Williams is off limits?

Sorry, I didn't explain it well. My thought was this:

Lakers: We'll give you Pau for Pek/Williams package
Wolves: Nope, not dealing Derrick
Lakers: OK, well if you're not trading Derrick, what about Dante?

Klomp

Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves