ImageImageImage

Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Re: Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love) 

Post#281 » by Saltine » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:24 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Mattya wrote:

That was a good article.

She's a good writer. Glad they found her.

I really like her writing, she's been great at putting up well written takes everyday. She makes our newspaper reporters look lazy and unskilled... and shes cute :)

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/joan_niesen_index/

https://twitter.com/JoanNiesen
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,714

Post#282 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Why did he sign that 4 year contract if he didn't like it? It all comes down to that. The things he said about the contract in Woj interview only tell something about his ugly ego.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,509

Post#283 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Krapinsky wrote:As the thread goes on and we hear of a 3 year opt out, the tide sort of turns in favor of offering the five year max, but you see there's healthy debate as to whether Love was worthy of a five year max.

That's not really relevant. Love was going to feel slighted by not getting 5th year. I'm not arguing that Love has ever been wronged by the Wolves, but he has been continuously underestimated and it's not surprising he's resentful of that.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,714

Post#284 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:As the thread goes on and we hear of a 3 year opt out, the tide sort of turns in favor of offering the five year max, but you see there's healthy debate as to whether Love was worthy of a five year max.

That's not really relevant. Love was going to feel slighted by not getting 5th year. I'm not arguing that Love has ever been wronged by the Wolves, but he has been continuously underestimated and it's not surprising he's resentful of that.

Yes, and he is not the first nor the last who gets underestimated in the NBA and who is resentful of that. But he is one of the rare who go and bitch about it in the media.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#285 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

article came across as love laying the foundation of excuses in his justification of leaving when he can.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#286 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Does this change things for anyone?

"@brittrobson: Wolves' GM David Kahn told me that 4 yr deal w/Love wasn't to save 5-yr pact for Rubio, that Ricky will likely get same 4-yr w/3yr opt-out"

http://www.twitter.com/brittrobson/stat ... 3753797632

"@brittrobson: @snyde043
Saving it for nobody. Kahn sentiment: All our stars will be treated the same."

That was from September.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#287 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

My bad, I thought we were talking about whether Love was deserving of a 5 year max when he signed his contract.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#288 » by Esohny » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Klomp wrote:Does this change things for anyone?

"@brittrobson: Wolves' GM David Kahn told me that 4 yr deal w/Love wasn't to save 5-yr pact for Rubio, that Ricky will likely get same 4-yr w/3yr opt-out"

http://www.twitter.com/brittrobson/stat ... 3753797632

"@brittrobson: @snyde043
Saving it for nobody. Kahn sentiment: All our stars will be treated the same."

That was from September.

Nope. Moronic regardless.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#289 » by [RCG] » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Krapinsky wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1155499

[RCG] wrote:Sooo glad he signed for the 4 year max (if he did!) But he dang better keep up the 25/15.

As the thread goes on and we hear of a 3 year opt out, the tide sort of turns in favor of offering the five year max, but you see there's healthy debate as to whether Love was worthy of a five year max.

I stand by that! I would much rather have the 5-year option for Rubio than Love. Especially because he does this sort of thing annually.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#290 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I tend to think Rubio will be a bonafide 5 year max player when he's due for an extension. So I sure hope that sentiment changes, whether it hurts Love's feelings or not.

phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Post#291 » by phonzadellika » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Krapinsky wrote:I tend to think Rubio will be a bonafide 5 year max player when he's due for an extension. So I sure hope that sentiment changes, whether it hurts Love's feelings or not.

I'm sure Kahn will have been fired by then in order to placate Love. Rubio puts butts in the seats - he'll get 5 years.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#292 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 pm

phonzadellika wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I tend to think Rubio will be a bonafide 5 year max player when he's due for an extension. So I sure hope that sentiment changes, whether it hurts Love's feelings or not.

I'm sure Kahn will have been fired by then in order to placate Love. Rubio puts butts in the seats - he'll get 5 years.

I think the 4 year limit on contracts is more a Taylor stance.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#293 » by jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm

I don't understand why Taylor would be against the max. It's not like it's hard to get rid of a player if the team sucks, just don't put a no-trade clause in.

At the same time, I don't get why Love is whining about the deal he got. If he's still doubting the future of the team he should be happy that he can walk after next season. What a jerk though. I don't know if I want him as the cornerstone here. He's a joy to watch play, but is unbearable watching him between plays and then waiting for this stuff. He's the most immature player in the league (even Dwight Howard didn't publicly embarrass his teammates and management) and if he doesn't grow up I won't be that sad to see him leave after next season. I'll miss watching him rack up unbelievable stats though.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#294 » by floppymoose » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:This was definitely reported in the hullabaloo to whether Love would sign his extension at that time. See for instance:

I have heard from people I trust that David Kahn presented Love with a contract offer in the training room -- not sure if it was the only formal offer ever made or the latest -- after Monday's loss to Houston and that Love was seen leaving Target Center with it crumpled in his hand and visibly angry.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/138024983.html

Yeah, Woj usually has it right. People say he has vendettas. I say he has informed opinions. He knows more about Kahn and Stern than I ever will. It's rare that I've caught him being wrong and frequently that I've found him out ahead of the story. Woj (@Yahoo), Ken Berger (@CBSSports) and Tom Ziller (@SBNation) are the three best nba writers I know of and some of the only ones to accurately cover the nba lockout last season.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#295 » by Tirion » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I'll also point out that Jefferson was traded specifically to make room for Love. Remember how we were pursuing David Lee heavily at that same time? If we got him, Love might not even be here.

He wasn't.

He was traded to get out of his contract, cause Taylor was penny-pinching.

The FO feeded to Love-Big Al controversy to cover that up.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#296 » by Tirion » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Krapinsky wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1155499

thethey wrote:Great news for the future of the team in general. That fifth year could have caused some problems.

moss_is_1 wrote:Good deal. Now we can use the 5 years for Rubio when the time comes.

Fire Mchale wrote:If this report is correct, I say kudos to Kahn for not having to give up the 5th year and thank you to Kevin Love for saving some space for this team financially in the future.

Love it......

younggunsmn wrote:No one else is reporting this yet, so at the moment I'm tempering my enthusiasm. Zgoda checked and can't get confirmation from anyone (I know, it's zgoda). And it's 60.8 mil, not 62 as far as I know for 4 years.

If true this is awesome. I wouldn't mind the 5 years so much, but it's nice that we would be able to keep a 5 year rookie extension spot open for Ricky. That said, think getting Ricky to agree to an extension is going to be tougher anyway come the summer/fall of 2014, and I wouldn't mind having Love locked up for 5 years.

[RCG] wrote:Sooo glad he signed for the 4 year max (if he did!) But he dang better keep up the 25/15.

As the thread goes on and we hear of a 3 year opt out, the tide sort of turns in favor of offering the five year max, but you see there's healthy debate as to whether Love was worthy of a five year max.

Wait...

The majority of this board thought that giving only 4 years was a great move by Kahn.

Other people thought this was a mistake and a pending disaster.

A year has passed and it's painfully obvious that other people were right.

Why are u quoting this?
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#297 » by AQuintus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 pm

floppymoose wrote:Yeah, Woj usually has it right. People say he has vendettas.

Because he obviously does. Can you honestly sit there and say that he doesn't go out of his way to frame certain subjects in as negative a light as possible, even if what he is saying is technically factually correct?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#298 » by floppymoose » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

AQuintus wrote:Because he obviously does. Can you honestly sit there and say that he doesn't go out of his way to frame certain subjects in as negative a light as possible, even if what he is saying is technically factually correct?

Does he have an editorial viewpoint on his stories? Yes.

Is it a vendetta? Unless you are saying it leads to inaccuracies from Woj, I don't get the point of the question. I like that the guy who has access to more dirt than I do is giving me the benefit of his opinion.

Tim Kawakami had vendettas. He reported inaccurately on Don Nelson's stint with the Warriors because he hated the guy. Woj, so far as I have been able to tell, has stuck with the facts.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#299 » by Tirion » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

AQuintus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Yeah, Woj usually has it right. People say he has vendettas.

Because he obviously does. Can you honestly sit there and say that he doesn't go out of his way to frame certain subjects in as negative a light as possible, even if what he is saying is technically factually correct?

He doesn't do that cause he has vendettas, he does it to generate page views. That's his job.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#300 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Tirion wrote:
Why are u quoting this?

You can go back and read this thread if you want.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves