ImageImageImage

Jose Calderon wants out

Moderators: C.lupus, Klomp, Worm Guts

User avatar
southern wolf
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 1,038
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Gettin' Wiggy with it
     

Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#1 » by southern wolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am

http://www.hoops-nation.com/jose-calderon-wants-out/

How long until Kahn makes the call to Toronto? I think he would love the idea of having another Spaniard to work with Ricky in the backcourt.

Possible deals?
User avatar
moss_is_1
General Manager
Posts: 7,821
And1: 460
Joined: May 20, 2009
Contact:
   

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#2 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Id gladly take calderon for one of our pgs and roys expiring...or if we could work a 3 team deal to send out both luke and jj that'd be better.
User avatar
Foye
RealGM
Posts: 18,686
And1: 1,112
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
     

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#3 » by Foye » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 pm

I guess Calderon for Luke + Roy wouldn't be the worst deal but I don't care about it much either.
NewWolvesOrder
Analyst
Posts: 3,266
And1: 233
Joined: Dec 20, 2008

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#4 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Jose for Love?
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#5 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I've suggested this for the last three months:

MIN GIVES: Ridnour + Barea
MIN GETS: Calderon + DET 2nd

TOR GIVES: Calderon
TOR GETS: Barea + Daye (exp) + create $3 mil TPE

DET GIVES: Daye (exp)
DET GETS: Ridnour


MIN gets a small upgrade this year, and perhaps a mentor for Rubio, at the cost of $3 mil to Taylor. Next season, Barea and Ridnour's deals are off the books to create cap space. Maybe we re-sign Calderon on a reasonable deal, or else sign some other back-up PG which we'd get cheap (the NBA is full of them). DET 2nd could be decent.

TOR moves unhappy Calderon, and gets a good back-up 2 on a reasonable price to play behind Lowry. Maybe Daye gets it in a new home, but even if he doesn't, he's an expiring. TOR adds a well-priced TPE for next year too.

DET really needs a back-up PG, and a guy to mentor Brandon Knight. Many DET fans like Ridnour.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#6 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:50 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:Id gladly take calderon for one of our pgs and roys expiring...or if we could work a 3 team deal to send out both luke and jj that'd be better.


I agree with this too: Barea + Roy, or Ridnour + Roy for Calderon would be fine with me as well.
User avatar
AbeVigodaLive
Junior
Posts: 275
And1: 100
Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#7 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 pm

I kind of like a bit of contrasting styles in the backcourt.

Isn't bringing in another slight, pass-first PG a bit redundant? Granted, Calderon is a much better shooter than Rubio... but I'd like to leverage Ridnour/Barea/others to get a more dynamic player in the backcourt.

I still don't see enough guys who can create back there. And, Calderon won't solve that...
User avatar
cpfsf
General Manager
Posts: 8,212
And1: 607
Joined: Apr 10, 2008
Location: your mom

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#8 » by cpfsf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm

He really isn't a renowned defender especially when matched up against the opponents starting 2. Remember when Calderon got posted up by Barea? One of Barea's career highlights right there. Offensively I'm sure he'd thrive. He gets a lot of his points from outside and that's kind of a huge hole that we have. He's pretty versatile, so I'll say sure.

Plus I'm pretty sure he'd strongly consider re-signing in Minnesota. Maybe Rubio and Calderon can convince P.Gasol to accept the MLE once his contract ends :pray:
Image
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,632
And1: 818
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#9 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Well we'd need to make sure we have a back up PG on the roster next year. We may not be able to resign Calderon to a deal that makes sense for a back up. For that reason, I see this merely as a salary dump of either Barea's or Ridnour's contracts. If we're doing that, let's move one of those guys for a position of need for the rest of the year instead, i.e. a wing player.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#10 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Well we'd need to make sure we have a back up PG on the roster next year. We may not be able to resign Calderon to a deal that makes sense for a back up.


In today's NBA population, there are plenty of back-up PG's out there, in trade and in free agency. If there was one position I wouldn't be worried about filling, it's back-up PG.
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,632
And1: 818
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#11 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm

shrink wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Well we'd need to make sure we have a back up PG on the roster next year. We may not be able to resign Calderon to a deal that makes sense for a back up.


In today's NBA population, there are plenty of back-up PG's out there, in trade and in free agency. If there was one position I wouldn't be worried about filling, it's back-up PG.


Few teams have back up point guards better than the Wolves and a really bad set of back up point guards can really hamstring a team. The most extreme example is the current Lakers with Blake, Duhon, and Morris. There's a big drop off from Barea/Ridnour to Blake/Duhon/CJ Watson/Nolan Smith/AJ Price/etc.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 34,548
And1: 374
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#12 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
shrink wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Well we'd need to make sure we have a back up PG on the roster next year. We may not be able to resign Calderon to a deal that makes sense for a back up.


In today's NBA population, there are plenty of back-up PG's out there, in trade and in free agency. If there was one position I wouldn't be worried about filling, it's back-up PG.


Few teams have back up point guards better than the Wolves and a really bad set of back up point guards can really hamstring a team. The most extreme example is the current Lakers with Blake, Duhon, and Morris. There's a big drop off from Barea/Ridnour to Blake/Duhon/CJ Watson/Nolan Smith/AJ Price/etc.


Believe me, I know the names of the teams that can really use a back-up PG. With nothing to do in the trade department for four months, the only entertainment I could derive was from looking at moving either Ridnour or Barea. And in a lot of cases, I got shot down because other options are out there.

Sure, the Lakers need an upgrade, and there are some other teams as well that I've experimented with. On the other hand, many teams have starting PG's and back-ups that are worthy of starting, so they make the back-up market bigger. Other teams can't address a back-up PG problem because of finances, so that put more back-up PG's on the market. Also, there have been a lot of PG's that have just entered the NBA, so they create more PG's in general in the population, and as they develop, they get more minutes and again push more players into back-up PG roles.

Anyway, the upswing here is that while I agree that teams exist that need back-up PGs, there are a lot in the NBA population too. Because there are so many, I don't worry about finding one, and I like the idea that because there are so many, a new one won't cost too much either.
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 18,632
And1: 818
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#13 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

shrink wrote:
Believe me, I know the names of the teams that can really use a back-up PG. With nothing to do in the trade department for four months, the only entertainment I could derive was from looking at moving either Ridnour or Barea. And in a lot of cases, I got shot down because other options are out there.

Sure, the Lakers need an upgrade, and there are some other teams as well that I've experimented with. On the other hand, many teams have starting PG's and back-ups that are worthy of starting, so they make the back-up market bigger. Other teams can't address a back-up PG problem because of finances, so that put more back-up PG's on the market. Also, there have been a lot of PG's that have just entered the NBA, so they create more PG's in general in the population, and as they develop, they get more minutes and again push more players into back-up PG roles.

Anyway, the upswing here is that while I agree that teams exist that need back-up PGs, there are a lot in the NBA population too. Because there are so many, I don't worry about finding one, and I like the idea that because there are so many, a new one won't cost too much either.


Perhaps you're just more optimistic than me then. I'm not too comfortable opening up a hole on the roster, because I'm not confident that hole will be easily filled. If that were the case for everyone the Lakers wouldnt be looking at Jannero Pargo right now. I also look at the PG's in the NBA and I don't think too many teams have a luxury of point guards like the Wolves do (so there will just have to disagree).

I just think if we're moving one of those guys -- and there are enough teams that need an upgrade at PG -- then we should be trading one of them for an upgrade at SG not ANOTHER PG that will hardly play when we already have Rubio and Barea or Ridnour. In other words, we should be able to do better than this deal.
Image
Sig by C.lupus
Fire Mchale
Junior
Posts: 407
And1: 9
Joined: Aug 03, 2010

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#14 » by Fire Mchale » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm very on board with moving Roy and Ridnour for Calderon (assuming the numbers work), but I'm not there on giving up both Ridnour and Barea unless we were able to also gain another asset in the deal. Flipping only Ridnour and Roy's contract clearly doesn't eliminate our glut of PGs, but it does allow us to deal Calderon or Barea for another asset for either this season or the future. I don't know that Calderon and Ricky are best of friends, but they play the same position and Calderon wants to start - which he will never do here. Even if Calderon agreed to come off the bench, he would also have to agree to play for close to what Barea's earning which is doubtful. All that being said - if we're moving one of our PGs, it needs to be for expiring income, a more affordable (yet functional) PG, a 1st rounder or a SG that can contribute immediately. Any deal giving us just Calderon is basically just a salary dump and I feel both Ridnour and Barea are move valuable than a salary dump.
User avatar
[RCG]
Head Coach
Posts: 7,047
And1: 135
Joined: May 24, 2010
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#15 » by [RCG] » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Roy & Barea/Ridnour would be a win-win.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
element
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 1
Joined: Sep 16, 2011

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#16 » by element » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Well, as a spaniard I appreciate Calderon, I've seen him play many times with the Raptors and the spanish national team, but he is essentially Luke with a better 3-point shot, not much of a difference.
If it makes sense from a cap salary perspective, then may be a good deal, but it won't be a huge upgrade. I've seen Calderon play many times in the NT, and he can also be a good pick and roll player, something he doesn't show much with the Raptors.
I wouldn't worry too much with the impact in the locker room and relationship with Ricky, Jose has been waiting for Ricky to take the starting spot in the NT for some time already, only injuries have delayed it. Jose is a great person and locker room guy,also great professional, and he also is the kind of person that will stay in a team if he feels comfortable in the environment, not putting money before all.
I hope it happens so I get to see two spaniards playing for the wolves every night, you essentially will have the best 2 spanish point guards. Now trade with the Rockets for Sergio Llull rights and you may have the three of them :lol:
atb1983
Ballboy
Posts: 20
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 04, 2012

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#17 » by atb1983 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 pm

only he is essentially Luke with better 3-point shot ?
he is a play maker first, muchhhhh better court vision and pass,maybe a little bit worse 2pt shot I do think it would be a great upgrade for MIN (if he stays healthy).
User avatar
southern wolf
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 1,038
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Gettin' Wiggy with it
     

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#18 » by southern wolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:51 am

I think it could come down to us or the Lakers if he does get traded. I like the idea of a Roy and Rid/Barea deal.
User avatar
God Squad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,865
And1: 259
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#19 » by God Squad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Send us Dwill! Please lol
User avatar
FinnTheHuman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,653
And1: 549
Joined: Nov 22, 2012
   

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#20 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I am not a fan of these small upgrades. Breaking good relations in the locker room, possibly good friendships for a small individial quality upgrade could possibly mean downgrade. Trade only if there's a big quality difference.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves